Wonder Comics - Original superhero setting

9written posts
amondraskearned bits
offlinecurrently
amondrask
amondrask Avatar

What is Wonder Comics?

Wonder Comics is something I've been tinkering with for a long time, on and off; An original superhero setting that fully embraces the incredible variety and imagination found in comic books. What does that mean? Well, as much as I adore comics, I've always thought that the rest of the setting wasn't changed as much as it should be, with all this crazy tech, magic and general super stuff that goes on. The heroes and villains always felt a little tacked on to the normal world. So I designed this setting, with the concept that all of that weird and wonderful impossibility filtered down through all layers of life!

It's still Earth, just very different. History is not as we know it, as superpowered entities have existed since the dawn of time, to one degree or another - though there was a massive increase due to the meddling of The Imperator over a century ago. Alien food, culture and media are as prominent as those from other countries native to Earth. Visitors from other dimensions or alternate universes are an everyday occurrence. Costumed individuals streak past multiple times a day, and clash in the night sky routinely. A group of kindergartners of wildly varied appearance and origin may be taught by a hyper-intelligent Tyrannosaur with robotic arms and a knack for childcare - the examples are endless, but the point is, the Wonderverse is super for everyone, everywhere, not just those who dress in spandex.

General Atmosphere & Tone

The Wonderverse leans towards the upbeat side of the spectrum. The central tenet of the stories that take place here is hope. Let’s face it, the real world can be pretty disheartening. Wonder Comics exists as a place to escape within, to live vicariously through miraculous characters in a fantastical setting, and to have fun. There will, naturally, be conflict, drama and risk - but by and large, at the end of the day, our writers should feel uplifted. We're here to have fun, relax, and enjoy superheroic adventures and slice of life.

Given all of this, people in Wonder Comics generally won’t bat an eye at fantastical goings on unless it’s really out there. Your character will, generally speaking, have been exposed to the full spectrum of weird from infancy, so they won’t freak out unduly if their friend is revealed to be an alien superhero that can outrun bullets. The usual attitude towards the Wondrous is blasé, much as we have become accustomed to video calls to the other side of the planet.

Everyday Wonders

In addition to driving lessons and licences, there are equivalent processes and qualifications for Wondrous modes of transport, or other powers. Flying, super speed, reality manipulation, and other abilities all necessitate lessons and exams on proper conduct and safe practice.

Children are educated on the Wondrous from a very early age - and many will have powers or inhuman parentage themselves! There are classes on how to deal with your budding superpowers, the cultures of other dimensions or alien languages, and all manner of Wondrous related topics, on every curriculum.

Travel to other worlds is incredibly easy, and it is not at all unheard of for families to holiday on the other side of the galaxy. Most Earth natives have experienced field trips to neighbouring dimensions, or visited alternate Earths as study excursions. The opposite is just as true, with Earth boasting an impressive amount of traffic from off-world.

Powers play a significant part in careers; a Wondrous individual could be more effect by far at certain jobs than a vanilla human. Examples include;

• A therapist with empathic abilities and emotional manipulation.
  • A service animal with the ability to share senses and possessing a calming aura.
  • Super strong construction workers, or those with geokinetic abilities.
  • A living reactor powering their neighbourhood for their 9-5 job.
  • Delivery services that employ speedsters, teleporters and chronomancers.

[/ul]
There are, of course, many people that possess powers that do not play a large part in their lives, for whatever reason. Perhaps the abilities are simply cosmetic, largely nonfunctional, or the individual in question simply chooses not to utilise their powers.

Interested?

So yeah! I don't know how much of a market there is for original superhero stuff these days, with the plethora of Marvel/DC sites, but I'm hoping that I'll get enough interested parties to at least get some interactions going. Let me know if this tickles your fancy! I have discord, and I have a dinky little server for interested folk to chatter and ask questions and give feedback, so feel free to ask for either!
last edit on May 26, 2020 18:17:52 GMT by amondrask
9written posts
amondraskearned bits
offlinecurrently
amondrask
amondrask Avatar
Soft Opening!

We did it!

People are free to fill out apps and make their characters, and get roleplaying!

Some of the site is still being tinkered with, so don't mind any technical issues or the like. If you find typos or missing information, though, let me know in the #bug-reports channel in the Wonder Comics Discord, please!

I'll be posting a proper ad for this up in the directory as soon as things are 100% ironed out and finalised.

Here's the forum link. Go forth, and be Wonderful!
3,083written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.