phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
speaking generally from my experience in the past decade or so of running sites (several for over a year at a time, the most long-lived of which lasted almost four years)....... the unfortunate truth of rping is that the vast majority of members just aren't going to stick around for very long.

a lot of that is just. tied up with the inherent nature of rp - after all, it's a lot easier to stay invested in a site when you've only been there a month and the hype over your potential plots is still sticking around compared to when you've been there three to six months and the plots you're most invested in are either stuck in limbo (whether from want ads or partners not posting or just generally not panning out) and/or have been ghosted out on. it's largely the luck of the draw whether plots end up bearing fruit long-term, and imo, it isn't really fair to expect a member to stick around on a site that's not actually filling any of their plotting desires.

that's probably why most sites that do really well tend to have a core memberbase that's made up of one or more friend groups / cliques. because that group tends to plot heavily with each other, meaning that they all tend to fulfill each other's plotting needs, which dramatically increases their likelihood of staying on the site in the long-term.

for me personally? excluding situations where i have an incident that pushes me to leave a site, probably the biggest factor i have for whether i stick around on a site is whether or not i end up picking up a plot with enough depth to it to keep my interest after that "new site hype" wears off. sometimes i'm lucky and i have a big want ad that gets taken by an established member or i hit the jackpot with something amazing organically..... but a lot of the time, i don't tend to have a whole lot more than "greeter" threads or pretty surface-level interactions (like "hey your character susie is a cop, my character brian is also a cop, we should thread!"), especially on established sites where most of the core members already have their major plots squared away (or attached to want ads that just aren't my cup of tea to rp), so i tend to pick up and move on to greener pastures to try again elsewhere.

to that end, i genuinely don't know what advice to try to help with that aspect of retention - mostly because it's entirely unfeasible to expect the established members to take a singular want ad from every newbie (especially if they're not too jazzed about the ad in the first place), nor is it always possible to come up with those kinds of in-depth plots for every single person (since imo it's not something you can force, either from your end if you aren't feeling the character or don't have anything available or from their end if they're making a character with an arc locked in place or that's difficult to plot).

i'll also add that you're not wrong in your first instinct that established sites with level-up / stat systems tend to plateau in regards to recruitment + retention because of the power difference - and that the solution isn't really just giving free goodies. this is another problem i've honestly not figured out how to solve (since for me, i tend to get turned off by it as a member once i reach a point that i feel like the power difference between me + the rest of the site is so significant that i'm not gonna catch up without a mountain of effort that i really don't want to embark on), not without throwing most of the systems out entirely so power levels remain largely static, thus making the entire issue a moot point. so. that's a problem that doesn't necessarily have a solution.

the only other real thing i would add to this is that i've found that stricter activity requirements tend to be a mixed bag in regards to retention - since imo, sure, it does weed out some of the slower + more sporadic posters from the get-go (or people like me who don't want to risk getting in trouble for situations beyond our control), but stricter activity requirements also tend to fall more heavily on characters with fewer threads + less investment, both categories that new members tend to fall into on a site, so if they're unlucky enough to end up in a situation where they're consistently struggling to meet activity expectations because they're not in a large number of threads and/or one or two fast-paced threads, they have a lower threshold before they walk away than an established member who has plots + friends they're invested in staying for. which isn't to say you need to loosen your requirements, per se (though that might help), as much as it is that if you're seeing a lot of people leave after periods of struggling with activity, well, this is probably a factor in why they left + you might need to re-evaluate parts of the system to lessen the strain on those members.

retaining members is hard, okay, and the only real secret i've managed to crack is "people tend to stay on a site longer if they have friends on the site + intricate in-depth plots they're hyped for" and that's it that's all i've got-
last edit on Mar 24, 2021 0:27:07 GMT by Kuroya

446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
I feel like I can respond to this both because my site is 25 months old and the 2 biggest posters after myself (admin) both joined 14 months into the lifecycle and because I’ve had a surprising number of members come back after 6+ month hiatuses, which literally never happened to me before on other sites. We are also basically the last RWBY forum rp site active, in a fandom where the other sites that lived and died or are on long site-wide hiatuses refuse to even consider a move from jcink to proboards where I am now.

Honestly the main thing that I think is the difference is the fact that many of the dead sites tried to be generalist. They tried to appeal to everyone, and in the end nobody was invested enough to actually power through the slow periods because everyone got a mediocre experience out of it. The sites had no core audience, in other words, and thus failed due to appealing to nobody. On my own site I was very transparent with the type of system and type of environment I was trying to create – and more than happy to exclude entire playstyles that weren’t compatible with mine.

It's the same concept as a Session 0, getting everyone on board with tone/general preferences so we can all be excited to go in the same direction. If you like freeform battle systems where rule of cool reigns supreme and you can express your creativity by using your unique power a million different ways… I don’t want you on my site and I made that extremely clear. My entire system is based on well-defined limits and being able to at a glance at a character sheet tell you someone’s general combat capabilities and perhaps more importantly what they can’t do.

By excluding people with incompatible playstyles to my own, I’m allowed to engage in the type of roleplay that I enjoy that will sustain my desire to continue.

No matter what you do, the % of people who stick around will be low. This is one of the only hobbies where people routinely brag and write essays about how much they hate it and how much they don’t want to do it… and yet they still join sites. There will be some who just use sites, especially in a Covid environment, as a chatroom rather than an RP and they never had any intention of roleplaying at all. Whether you allow this is up to you, I generally don’t care even though none of them ever convert to be members. I only remove them once they start to actually prevent RP-related convos from happening, which is most of the time within a month or so in my experience. They get angry that people aren't using it as a chatroom only, despite the fact they joined an explicitly rp forum site discord. People are weird.

There will also be a constant trickle of people who will never get past character creation phase no matter how many hours of effort that you or your members put into helping them. They will suck on your free time forever until you burn out and stop helping them, and this is also a pretty common OOC character I’ve seen in the past two years. If you get baited by them, it will suck and you’ll feel like you did something wrong. You didn’t, and the fact of the matter is that some people find creating characters much more fun and fulfilling than actually playing them.

I’ve also found that spoon feeding threads to players via site events is a great way of weeding out who is and isn’t worth effort. If someone doesn’t take threads being thrown at them because they’re not perfectly tailored to them or not wanting to read a less than 500 word event intro or something… yeah. I just don’t waste my energy on them, because they have no intention of participating. Events is what hooked most of my current members, because they actually wanted to write and took the opportunity and made a cool experience from it and that got them past the “Ooo cool new site” phase and carried them through however long they’ve been on the site.

The biggest thing I’ve been told that OOC made the people on hiatus come back is consistency and the fact that I have zero problem removing people against their will from the discord/site if they try to abuse me or my member base. Many sites die and many people burn out due to OOC drama, and if you’re consistent it makes it very difficult to start any against you when the rules and expectations are transparent, and everyone knows them. There will always be people who rage and try to bulldoze you because they can’t handle basic responsibilities such as activity checks, doing their claims, or reading the introduction post to a thread… but those people can’t be allowed to stay and poison the site for long periods of time and burn other people out.

Also, frankly, I have zero problem telling people their character concepts will be difficult to make work if I feel like they are. Letting someone come in on a completely dead faction/area with no interaction possible with others or with the intention to make 10 wanted ads that they will RP with exclusively and allowing that to go through is just a waste of everyone’s time. Who and what you exclude, both IC and OOC will always be more important than who you include.

Speaking of which, one of the biggest pieces of advice I could give anyone generally is making your game world small.

Yes, small.

There is absolutely zero point of having 12 kingdoms on 12 continents if you have 10 characters on the site in total. It’s a waste of everyone’s time and makes it hard for any of them to do anything. Restrict the setting until everyone can reasonably interact with each other until you reach the point to where you are confident you can split the character base. The goal should absolutely be ensuring that every character, no matter the permutation of faction/location/flavor should be able to interact with most if not the entire site theoretically as soon as their character is approved. If you have locations/factions/flavor allowed that doesn’t allow for them to interact with anybody or are counting the 3 people who decided to app a faction but haven’t posted in 6 months ‘other people a newbie can interact with’ you’re just railroading them into a terrible experience.

And even if you do all of this people can and will just ghost randomly! I’ve seen new characters who could conceivably interact with 20+ that I came up with neat plot ideas for that could have some real mileage out of them because their personality on app would mesh really well with one of my characters and reached out to players individually as soon as their characters got accepted and just…

Nothing comes from it. They either post an open without informing anyone and ghost or just ghost. I’m thinking about one in particular that still makes me sad because they made an OC that fit exactly the type of personality I wanted in an ad that I was 150% willing to thread a bunch with that just… never responded to me and ghosted.

The emails to inactive members actually tend to bring 1-2 of them back for me every time, so thanks for reminding me to do it. Occasionally sometimes cold DMs to members who ghosted just to check up if you thought you were friends tend to work on my end too. Ghosting is much more common post-Covid I feel like because a lot of people have very unstable life/mental situations and frankly I don’t blame anyone for cutting a hobby out of their life so they can focus on their own health.

There’s also the extremely common OOC character who just takes on more sites than they can chew and your site is the one that drops first as the newest one when they realize they can’t handle multiple sites at once. Or maybe you’re like me and decide to join sites and write entire apps at 3am and wake up and wonder what in tarnation you just did. You could also have people who just randomly make accounts before they even read the rules or anything, which is also semi-common for some reason.

Or someone who joins because the only FC they wanted to play was going to be activity checked in 24hrs but the person comes back after 2 months after posting 0 times IC total to just make the activity check and deny you the FC you wanted – yeah I’m still salty.
last edit on Mar 24, 2021 1:06:40 GMT by wolfe