What is post splicing?

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Okay so I understand like 99% of the terms that get used around the RP sphere, I've been around long enough to know a lot of the terminology, but this one is one I've seen several times that I just cannot find an actual definition for?

So like, what actually IS post splicing? Does anyone have any examples of what it would look or read like? I feel like this is the one term in the world of pbp roleplay where I am REALLY LOST, and I want to fully understand it so I can actually avoid doing it?

Much appreciation to anyone who can educate me on this, I can't seem to find an actual explanation anywhere!
pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
it's basically where you're having more than one conversation in one thread at the same time, and replying to everything that the other person put in their post

Person one's post, intending it to be one stream of speech:

"Hello!" They said. Blah blah.

"Do you think it's cold today?" Blah blah.

"I think it's cold. How do you stand it?"

Person two's post, replying to every single statement made:

"Hi!" Blah blah.

"I don't think it's cold today. I wore a sweater so I am adequately prepared." Blah blah.

"The sweater helps! And I think I'm just naturally warm blooded. I was raised in the extreme north, so it's very cool and fun." Blah blah.

Person one's post, now also having to reply to every single statement made, and as a result the thread is now one paragraph longer than it was:

"How are you?"

"A sweater... God, that's smart. I am not warm blooded I am very cold blooded."

"I Should have worn a sweater, but I didn't because I am a weak baby. I think sweaters are vastly inferior to dresses."

"Oh, cool! The north? Whereabouts? I'm more mid...range, or whatever, myself."

basically it's just... when everybody tries to respond to everything that the other person writes, when that's... just... it's just not feasible, in my opinion, since conversations just do not go like that. and then the threads just get longer and longer and after a while you don't know what you're even responding to at some point and it's like... please... let me rest. i like to have my character focus on whatever is most interesting to them and reply to only that part (though that doesn't mean that they don't hear it. it's just that not everything is reply-worthy, you know)
pronounsShe/Her
251written posts
milkearned bits
offlinecurrently
milk
milk Avatar
still lactose intolerant
Wow I feel like I do this regularly without realizing what it's called

Idk it depends on whether I feel like I want the conversation thread to continue. RP is weird like that a lot conversation statements are made left open ended to be invited a response. (Or at least that's what I try to do)

It whatever flows best tho imo. Sometimes I find it funny to think about that a lot of dialogue said by one character is essentially becoming a monologue for the other character to listen to. Other times I've noticed one partner I had in particular that truly did write responses to each general conversation statement or quote my character said, I actually enjoyed it despite being somewhat disjointing? Like yes it's like we're writing about a conversation that happened 15 minutes ago whole we also have moved on to a new topic and scene, but it feels more... Fleshed out idk. Personal preference!
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Perhaps a simpler way to define it is to define how a "normal" post works.
Normally when a post begins the writer has control of the scene and lose control of the scene when they pass to the next person. When you post splice, actions posted aren't really finitie and people are posting "inside" of your post. The problem that can occur is that if I say

"How are you feeling?"

and then

"I had a bad day at work."

in the same thread, and then through splicing someone interjects

"How are you feeling?"

"I am pregnant."

"I had a bad day at work."

You end up losing some agency because you've been written into a corner of talking about something not related to the most important subject . Honestly though post splicing is just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to "action saturation". The longer you are holding onto the scene the less reaction others really get to have, and you end up with really flat writing that feels clunky. Balance is key I think, because overworrying about it also means that it can take a long time to get anything done.
last edit on Aug 12, 2021 1:43:18 GMT by Sharp
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
820written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
sometimes u kno if a site has say a word count that happens, but i've seen and done it on sites without word counts. sometimes it happens? it IS a writing problem, it's just not one i worry too much about. if you feel like it's getting too... slicy? you can drop whatever was past said - u don't have to reply to everything (though if you want to go ahead, again i don't think it's that big of a deal unless it gets really out of hand or smthing) - or make it a single point rather than two, if that makes sense.

but yeah, what sharp dressed man said. tends to be a consequence of a post that has Too Much action. doesn't have to be a long post either - could b one w a bunch of short beats
last edit on Aug 12, 2021 0:02:15 GMT by bc
pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
These are all very good helpful responses tbh, gives me a better idea of ways to write my own posts, even though I don't worry TOO MUCH about this sort of thing? I also don't want to be THAT GUY that no one likes to write with lkg;sldkfjgsd, so knowing what some of the terms people don't like actually MEAN.

I'm definitely guilty of this but not as much so as I initially worried I was, so that's nice!

Thanks for the answers y'all!
pronounsAny
39written posts
caporushesearned bits
offlinecurrently
caporushes
caporushes Avatar
I just wanted to say I didn't know this had a name, either. I'd never encountered it until recently, because all the sites I have been on before had much shorter post expectations. It took some adjusting to, but I don't mind it now? I just try to only respond to conversation/actions that I think it's interesting or good to respond to. Sometimes I just internalize the response because I think my character would absolutely Feel a Way about that and I want to express it, but it's not like... useful to the action. (I do always try to limit the number of actual like "cues" for action I put in one post though.)

Anyway that's a long way of saying: TIL!

A Gilded Age-Inspired 18+ Fantasy RPG