Class Systems: Strict or Freeform?

aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I'm specifically interested within the context of a VRMMO RP, what do you think the pros and cons of a strict vs freeform system are? Is there a third system you prefer more? I've got the brainrot pretty bad and have been thinking about what my ideal VRMMO rp would be and the system is kind of foundational.

To clarify, I don't mean strict or freeform in the context of stats. Either way, I'm not a big fan of things that need to be heavily moderated. Either system would have the quests & battles based around character level and not much else. Maybe some light rolling, but something staff could be more hands off about. Partially because it's annoying to deal with, partially because it's been my experience that rolls end up being a huge bottleneck in progression and it's difficult to properly staff for.

In the simplest terms:

Strict would be creating set classes with pre-generated skills that need to be earned, and the possibility of class upgrades. Think .Hack or World of Warcraft.

Freeform would have the classes be: DPS, Tank, Support, with the sub-classes: physical, magical, or utility. Members would then craft their own ability/class. Possibly with some restrictions like outlining certain mechanics (poison, piercing, healing, etc) that exist in the world. I can't think of any media examples of this, but there was at least one forum with this sort of system at one point.

Now onto my opinions:

Strict appeals to me, because it's traditional and I enjoy the vibe of being able to release new classes, abilities, etc. Plus there's a more clear source of progression which scratche a certain itch. It does come with a higher barrier of entry, though, since it requires more prep work to design each class and make them unique (though borrowing from existing games would make it easier).

Freeform appeals to me, because it gives more narrative freedom on how to play a character, and it's interesting to see what other people come up with. It does come with a higher long term cost of needing to approve abiltiies and keep rulings consistent.

Maybe I'm totally off base and there's better formats, though. What do you think?

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
aliaspandora, winter
pronounsshe/her
26written posts
panearned bits
offlinecurrently
pan
pan Avatar
viva la leviathan
okok i have little experience w vrmmo rps, BUT i do run a site w/ a magic system that works pretty similarly to what ur describing with the "strict" style, and i do think it has some advantages over freeform as u describe it.

[for context in the site there are x fixed magic types, and you select one and progress through the spell trees/skill trees. staff regularly updates with new spells that members can unlock for their characters]

pros of doing it this way, that i've seen (other than what u already have):

- control over balancing. u never have to worry abt approving sth that might be "OP" or not well-received, and it gets people off the ground faster.
- i've found it creates a fun community aspect to it—members will talk abt new spells, share in the progression system, it adds to the shared culture of the site in a fun way!
- the IC implications for lore are soo much fun with a strict system, imo. it makes ur world cohesive when the magic/ability system is set, and creates for interesting dynamics ICly compared to when each character may be coming from their own baseline system of abilities.

cons:
- it's a lot of work, esp if u intend to continue to add new skills as time goes on.

and about "freeform" — i'd still consider the strict version of doing things freeform because IMO, you can still interpret the skills and use them creatively when there are no stats/hard and fast rules. for example, consider a freeform pokemon site where all the abilities would be pokemon moves...there's still an element of creativity to stringing the movesets together, using ur pokemon to achieve certain goals, and mixing and matching effects! sometimes the abilities being set in stone helps pushes ppl to channel creativity elsewhere, so i kind of see it as a win-win!!

i would also say that it helps if there is enough variety in the skills u are selecting from so that members/characters can still feel like they are achieving unique progression (and not that all characters of a class tend towards the same skills or same niche)

also u could consider a hybrid thing where maybe at a certain point a character can learn a cool signature ability or sth, to add even more layers to progression....

goodluck w the system-building!!
i'm so eepy
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
pan Avatar
snipped for length

This was actually a super helpful response, thank you! Framing it like Pokemon actually put it in a perspective that really appeals to me, and custom signature skills are a great idea. I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc