write a reply

Interest Check: Tokyo Ghoul AU Roleplay

aliasZo
1written post
Zodiaqueearned bits
offlinecurrently
Zodiaque
Zodiaque Avatar
In the last couple of months I have been craving for a good Tokyo Ghoul RP. I remember a few years ago when I first discovered some TG AU roleplay forums, and the fun I had on them. The IC drama, the character development, the sophisticated systems, the events everyone partook into and many other things which altogether created such a fantastic environment. Recently I thought to myself, why not try to bring something like that in the Roleplay scenery? From my recent searches, there aren't any active/alive Tokyo Ghoul inspired forums (the only ones are long gone, and from my belief there's some sub-reddit dedicated to such endeavors, but went dark for almost an year or so? I am not entirely sure). Hence why I am making this interest check. To see how many people would be interested in such a setting. Posting down in the comments would show me enough support to start with the backbone necessary for this journey. Any sign-ups for (a potential?) 'Alpha'/'Beta' of the site can be done through this thread or through my PMs (I don't bite, really, don't be shy). Before anything is "set in stone" however, I would like to give you all amazing people an inside of what my thoughts about how this would play out so far:

Quick introduction:

A world of man-eating monsters called ghouls and the brave-hearted souls who commit their lives to destroying them. An AU Tokyo Ghoul Roleplay for players of all levels.

Feature 1: Player Driven

I want to encourage plot-based character-driven threading as much as possible and taking things at your own pace to create something powerful and unique as part of a larger plot effort. Having fun and enjoying yourself is what I believe to be Priority #1. A world built for the player, by the player.
Feature 2: No Word-Count

While at first I believed a minimum word count should be set in place, a better variant I thought about was to let players develop their writing style at their own pace. While advanced/experienced writers could come up with what would be considered "high quality threads" that can go on for numerous pages, newcomers can start at a low count and improve themselves as time goes by. After all, not all of us were born writers, nor are we perfect in what we do.
Feature 3: Unlimited Characters
This is kind of self-explanatory. Nobody likes to be restricted to only one character or a character slot system, hence why I do not see the need of introducing such endeavors. As long as you/the staff can keep track of what your character has done/is doing currently, and you are having fun, that's all that matters.
Feature 4: Collaborative world-building

I never liked the idea of a pre-existing plot written prior with certain player characters that were first made by staff and their close friends being the main protagonists of a story and events that circle around them, keeping everyone else on the sidewalk or as mere background characters. I think the best course of action, at least in a Tokyo Ghoul AU setting, is to go by what others created, as a whole new story, and create a world based on what is going on, at that moment, on the forums (Events being included. Maybe a thread between 3-4 characters resulted in something much bigger happening. Who knows. This is just one of the many examples I could come up with. Imagination is really beautiful sometimes).
Feature 5: Rules-light & Fiction-first Mindset and Systems
In a Tokyo Ghoul AU setting, the main goal for your character is to become stronger, battle centrism being the key element. Right? This would, naturally, impose some kind of D&D like progression system with a lot of points, stats and struggles. I would like to propose something else. What if, your character could grow stronger and become more notorious through direct implication in the world-building (setting aside some basic, let's say, criteria requirements for some things). Just by being active, your character could be granted advancements, upgrades, and so on, meaning that instead of having a Points-To-Buy Upgrade system, it would go like My-Character-Took-Part-In-This-And-That Advancement system (Yeah, the bare explanation is a bit hard to understand at first, but being one of my "on the spot" ideas, I couldn't word it out better).
Closure:

So far, this is what I could come up with in the last couple of days, and depending on the interest shown for such setting, I will periodically update everyone interested regarding this and (maybe) begin a sign-up once enough materials are laid out (And of course, a small playerbase. No one would want to roleplay in a setting where only 2-3 characters exist. It becomes really boring and hectic). Thank you for showing your support/appreciation/interest! Stay tuned, and remember, in a world where two species fight each other, the scales are weighed in blood.
last edit on Feb 5, 2023 23:57:05 GMT by Zodiaque