pronounsshe/her
1,787written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
forgoing the staff template because I'm lazy - but I wanted to start a discussion thread, not deep, to get me started working with you all again.

Question: How do you like your discord or the site discord organized?

As for my answer, I really do like colored roles, sure, but since pronoun roles really kind of went the way of the dodo since you can add them yourself, it's not really too needed but nice to have. I like activity roles and okay being pinged/dm'ed. I really do like when sites have plotting channels for each member group if they're plot related.

I think I like a ticketing system to raise a point or bots like the birthday bot cause I want to wish people a happy birf but I don't even remember my doctor's appointments, do you think I have a clue even when MY birthday is? Since a lot of site stuff is moving to discord, what do you have on site versus discord as a side question?

I prefer plotting on discord only so I don't have to code a plotter with 178 characters

last edit on Sept 12, 2023 0:30:49 GMT by Neko
the eldritch truth
pronounsHe/Him
1,101written posts
Phantasmearned bits
offlinecurrently
Phantasm
Part of the Furniture
Phantasm Avatar
I think for me, the ideal would be:

v Staff-Area
# staff-chat
# to-do-list

> Essentials
# announcements
# rules
# staff-help
# post-notify

v General
# chatbox
# plotting

v Voice-Channels
# General

I like mine to be as lightweight as possible - roles limited to just (staff) and various (faction) roles. No self-assigned roles. In terms of bots, I don't like having any. In general, whatever limits the number of bots and the amount of time staff 'has' to spend on Discord.

I try to keep the channel bloat minimal, I'd prefer to literally only have 1 general channel and maybe like a staff help/questions channel and a voice channel but that's it. Anything that's tangentially 'useful' I would prefer to have on-site in threads. I recognize that all that is pretty radical though lmao, but I'm definitely on the side that Discord is a necessary evil

I mean, people were already complaining about people spending all their time lurking in cbox back when that was still a thing lmao
last edit on Sept 11, 2023 4:22:31 GMT by Phantasm
aliasAerie, badmin, insert profanity
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
love colored roles

ticketing system is huge and makes things so much easier tbh

most people hate too many channels but i'm in the mindset of if they're used consistently they belong. if not, get rid of it/

i like using forum mode for wanted ads and qotd/w but that's about it. everything else can be normal and use threads if needed.
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
I still prefer to keep a lot of stuff off-Discord, that said however...

I like coloured roles, I have them in all my personal servers โ€” and I like leaving them open for requests of more. I still think pronoun roles are useful for those who donโ€™t want to use the pronoun field for any reason. Preferably all self-selectable, saves us all the trouble.

Let me see if I can think of how Iโ€™d organize an RP server...

announcements
support/questions/feedback-channel
other management related stuff

character-updates
scheming-channel
tagging-channel
rambling-channel

introductions
general-channel
image-dump

staff-notes

I'd probably adjust this a little bit but...yeah, seems good to me?

I donโ€™t use voice channels, as you can see. I may throw one in just for some streaming fun or something, but idk.

As for joining servers, I prefer a minimal amount of bots. But there arenโ€™t many dealbreakers overall for me โ€” lots of channels, lots of coloured roles or none etc etc. โ€” as long as I can be my regularly lurky self.

Catscape Meow!
pronounshe/him
418written posts
Salmonearned bits
offlinecurrently
Salmon
Salmon Avatar
Since Iโ€™m almost never on my laptop unless I need to be I like to have an much information on discord as possible so I donโ€™t have to filter through a bunch of lists and itโ€™s easier for members to reach out to staff rather than waiting around in cbox

> Information Centre
#Code of Conduct
#faq
#qna
#quick links
#staff tag
#absences

> General
#General chat
#music
#memes
#fc share