pronounsMale
1,727written posts
Mouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mouse
Part of the Furniture
Mouse Avatar
where fears and lies melt away.
I'm about to finish the last Harry Potter book, and I'm looking for a good fantasy book or series to listen to afterwards. Preferably something long as I listen during work and while driving too and from.

Things I've already read: All of Brandon Sandersons works, Percy Jackson series, Legendborn, & Powder Mage trilogy.
pronounsshe/her
114written posts
merriearned bits
offlinecurrently
merri
merri Avatar
It's fairly unknown compared to her massive hit, The Hunger Games, but might I recommend Suzanne Collins' The Underland Chronicles?

I read the first book as a kid, maybe 7 or 8 years old, and read each book as it came along after. I revisited it in high school and then again in college. Even though it's targeted at a middle-grade audience, it is thought-provoking when read from an adult's pov. It is one I can go back to, and it's interesting, if you dig around, to read about Collins' influence at the time she wrote the first book.

It is my favorite series. I will die on a hill for it. From morally gray characters to characters and situations one might relate to, it has action and, might I say, a cool, not-super-special twist on a fantasy world (think Alice in Wonderland). The first book is a great introduction; the 2nd and 3rd books are so good, and the 4th and 5th books have strengths that help tie everything together. It tends to subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) lean into darker themes, but I believe that makes it so engaging besides the story itself. I read it with my students last year and we had great discussions about it.

Anyway, I hope you find a new book or series and maybe check out Gregor the Overlander (the first book)!

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/her or any pronouns
798written posts
profit of doomearned bits
offlinecurrently
profit of doom
Part of the Furniture
profit of doom Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
so unfortunately i'm not a big fantasy reader, but i am a big audiobook fan. do you have spotify? because i recently found a spotify playlist with free audiobooks! a lot of them are public domain books, but it's still a cool resource. if you don't have libby already, you def should download it. i listen to a loooooot of audiobooks that way. 

also i know jeff and his company is like legitimately evil, but audible is invaluable to me. she and i have a really toxic relationship, but she pulls me back in every time........ever since they added in the "plus catalogue", i've been using audible a lot more often. the plus catalogue are free books that come with your membership, and the selection, at least as far as my personal reading tastes go, has been great. i've been pleasantly surprised numerous times when i go to look up a book i can't get thru libby, only to find that it's free for me to read from audible. 
last edit on Jul 2, 2024 19:05:34 GMT by profit of doom
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW