write a reply

Staffing Confessions

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I find myself growing impatient with proboards because I want too test V6 too make sure I'm sure that I don't want too be on it anymore. Or at the very least on proboards as owner. I'm still trying too get used too jcink and coding on it. I knew I wouldn't learn overnight but I want too learn enough for it too appear like a basic template around my forum with adjustments too the mini profile too my liking because I love seeing how applications are written on the mini profile now.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I also really want to test v6 and might get on it within the next few weeks if I can do such a thing. I was hoping that they'd have some kind of open beta too like there was for v4 and v5. But I guess it's just not time for that.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Yeah I'm hoping soon just because I want too compare the hosts and decide which one I like more. I mean just because I don't host on one doesn't mean I wouldn't join proboards still.... just... hard too say because I heard that V5 broke the code from V4 and well if it is just going too break the code again it might be too much of a change for me too put up with. I mean at least jcink looks like it hasn't updated much in the last couple of years if at all and frankly if I don't have too worry about my codes breaking it means that I can focus hosting on a site without the worry of my codes breaking in a few years. My biggest regret when making sites when I first started was not attempting too learn how too code on proboards when I had the chance and later jcink because it has always been a dream of mine too open up a site where I could say I did this.... no assistance was required, but until that time comes I'm going too just keep pushing myself the basics of coding and hopefully over time I'll get the hang of it.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I've heard though that v6 is just updating some things and that it shouldn't break as bad as v4 to v5 did. Which I'm hoping for because if it does then yeah. I'm going to have to learn jcink and pb both and I no longer have the time to do such things... I kind of want to move to jcink anyways so that I don't have to limit my writing anymore, but. meh.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
In the end I decided I'm tired of waiting for proboards too let us test V6 and I'll see it when I see it. While I'm not writing, I seriously want too take a look at where everything is at on jcink so that I can learn how too code. I mean simple coding for me it fine but I want too figure out how too create in the main profile a section for applications because I feel like that is slowly becoming the new normal. I don't know, just something I've started picking up but than again, Discord has started becoming viewed as a host for writing too so it is another option if I take a break from learning jcink coding.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I have made some weirdly executive decision to host mass events on discord instead of through threads. Doing events in real time might be easier than waiting for posts and hopefully will move things along. Using discord alongside proboards as some mixed media platform for RP actually seems to work out pretty good. I don't want to move to discord entirely, as I like writing posts and looking back at things and whatever, but having them both alongside one another is actually turning out pretty nice so far. Maybe I should try and do that like... As a thing.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I'm looking over the jcink Skinning - CSS Guide again. Debating on working on some coding right now or just doing it for later. I'm not looking too open up a site i think, just because i'm happy on the ones i'm on but I want my test site too look less plain and it would be nice too have an idea of how too customize each section too my liking instead of having too chose based on the options resource sites offer me. I can see why learning too code, or coding in general is frustrating and takes a lot of work, I'll always admiral those who can code and share them with us, even going so far as too offer too teach us. ^_^ Thanks guys.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when making a site.

There's a very specific kind of setting I want to run (and I won't get into specifics here because this isn't a stealth interest check), but whenever I try to launch it, it never seems to gain any traction. I tried a lot of stuff - I got rid of systems, simplified the lore, got a fancy skin - but for some reason, getting even a handful of members with my site's premise seems to elude me. Am I just bad at marketing? And if so, how do you get better at that?

I just don't know how people seem to get these thriving communities so easily. Is there some sort of clique I'm not a part of or strategy I haven't considered? 
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
549written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
yumyums Avatar
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong when making a site.

There's a very specific kind of setting I want to run (and I won't get into specifics here because this isn't a stealth interest check), but whenever I try to launch it, it never seems to gain any traction. I tried a lot of stuff - I got rid of systems, simplified the lore, got a fancy skin - but for some reason, getting even a handful of members with my site's premise seems to elude me. Am I just bad at marketing? And if so, how do you get better at that?

I just don't know how people seem to get these thriving communities so easily. Is there some sort of clique I'm not a part of or strategy I haven't considered? 

it could be a lot of different things. but i will say a major part that i've found thus far:

building hype prior to launch and having friends in the community helps

those friends having friends is important too. and not just some schmuck you talked to 10 years ago who could care less about you. but friends who genuinely want to support you. nor am i talking about being in a 'clique'. these people are people you speak to that, even if they wouldn't join themselves, they'd be more than happy to refer to others they know who might. they are just happy to lend a hand and see you do well. that is that.

in terms of building hype, friends help and go a long way as well. but making an official interest check and not letting it go too long un-bumped is important. just don't put it up too early before your site is ready! even if you have to ask a supportive friend or other staff member to post in the thread. this ensures people are seeing your interest check.

tl;dr talk, talk, talk! talk about your site to your friends and others. don't let it leave minds. such a tactic goes miles.

in a more situational sense; you should think about the setting and how appealing it is to other people. for instance, if it is a fandom concept - how popular is that fandom? do you see people in the community talking about it? threw out a quick interest check a few times and got at the very most, three likes? for an original concept - the same as above can be applied just as well.

for a public roleplay, it is to come to terms with not all ideas will appeal to the masses. seeing that you're trying to push a specific idea, think about if it would only appeal to a certain type of people.

then, there are the site concepts that you can't really win and you just need to make them as simple or elaborate as you want them. for example, there are people who love systems and those who hate them. same with lore. some people love sites with very little lore and others who say the more lore, the better!

once you can get a few people into your concept and look into your site, ask them for feedback even if you have to take it anonymously through google forms. i've noticed more than ever that a lot of people within the community are quiet. they speak their grievances to their friends and never to the people who can fix them. however, i suspect that is built up from years of mistrust from bad experiences and the like.

i hope that helped, if even a little bit. and i wish you luck with your site! i'll keep an eye out in case you ever advertise. : 3
last edit on Jul 16, 2021 18:52:52 GMT by porsef
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I agree with what was said above and just my two cents. As hard as it is too keep trying, don't give up trying too keep an interest for the site going. Because once the interest dies for you, it is very hard too bring it back if at all.
last edit on Jul 16, 2021 19:41:11 GMT by Deleted
144written posts
Stallasearned bits
offlinecurrently
Stallas
Stallas Avatar
ACT IV: HOOLIGAN TALES

On the other side, wanted to add onto this is that networking is king but keep interests checks at arm's length. I've seen equally as many sites with interest checks and pre-site hype and the day the site (skin) is up it's just crickets. People that express interest off-handedly on a forum/discord don't owe you anything, so be careful of setting too many expectations and getting hurt.

Some ideas unfortunately aren't suitable for or don't have enough of a following in this community. That's OK. You want a medium between accessible and your original idea. It's not easy and all sites flop eventually, a few just live way longer than most.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
kewkew Avatar
Trying to build sites for nostalgic/vocal minority niches, doing all of the things, just to left alone with it kinda sucks. Idk how people keep it going solo, cuz asking for help didn't do anything. Just to have to shutter things down in the end... and see that same type of site be asked for again and again on 'site you want to see' ((just did that last season but no one cared!)) It's just not fun and makes me consider if this hobby is even for me anymore. Do you really want X, or do you just wanna lament ad nauseum about how it doesn't exist in your ideal RP form? It just feels like people ask for something to be made, it's made, but when I ask for staff/help its crickets so inevitably I shut it down because one man cannot sail this ship and it's just a vicious cycle of disappointment.

/rant

I feel your pain and i'm sorry you've had to go through that. I think... most people just want what they don't/can't have, and then when it comes a reality, it's super exciting and awesome and they can't wait to be a part of it. But all of that exhilaration and motivation gets used up so quickly and they burn themselves out. Or, a lot of times, people want a particular site, are enamored by a particular idea/genre/fantasy, and love the nostalgic sound of a series bell -- but when it's actually there? A lot of them say well, that's not what I wanted, and turn their nose at it because it's not entirely what they imagined it would be. And then you're left with a only a small handful of people that actually care about the site and your efforts. Or, sometimes, you're not left with anyone at all.

The moral of the story is not to do something solely to please others or for the singular benefit of other people. It's great if everyone is on the same page and are serious about their nostalgic niche/scratch to write a certain thing, but when you try to make a site with that premise or that particular story/genre/types of characters/world, consider what you want. Make sure you have muse for it, too, and that you're willing to go down with the ship or propel it forward when you initially get started.

I've been in your shoes a couple of times and it s u c k s. I would say, don't let it get to you. You have to do what makes you happy in this hobby. Make something(or join something) that you will actually enjoy and that you can picture yourself being a part of long-term, but don't give up. And, don't let what others are begging for get you in a mood. Either they'll give up and find something else they'll like, or they'll wait long enough to make their own.
last edit on Jul 16, 2021 22:11:35 GMT by Deleted
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,365written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?

i also want to chip in here with two other considerations.

1) as much as people might like to say otherwise, community rep does matter. if someone has a long-standing pattern of being a serial site-maker and site-hopper (or even the appearance of such a thing), it's going to be infinitely harder to get a site off the ground for both the obvious reason that people are going to be leery of "okay sure the site is open now but will it be two months from now?" and for the less obvious reason that imo you're more likely to build up a little network of rp friends if you're sticking around on a site (since imo you're gonna bond with the partners you write with in that community and they'll be more likely to do the thing mentioned where they'll pass the site name along even if they themselves aren't interested).

if you think you have an iffy community rep? honestly, the best thing i can recommend doing is to just. join someone else's site for six months to a year and just. stay there. vibe. it'll show that you're actively trying to be more consistent and give you a bit of that networking for later down the road (just, y'know, make sure you're not then poaching people off that site if/when you do go back to running your own site).

2) maybe it's just me but. i always try to keep in mind the thought of more or less.... what do people actually have to do with their characters to get them invested in the site in the first place and then to keep them invested however many months down the road. and this is something to consider on multiple levels. if you have a pokemon site, if there's no other people in team rocket, it's gonna suck for someone to make the first rocket because they're not gonna really have anything to do. same thing for a traditional pokemon journey site, since if someone hits level 100 on their team and evolve everything and have their dream team, where do they have to go from there? what do they have to do or accomplish?

obviously this is something that different people are going to have different answers for because y'know. different people want different things out of their rp experience. some people are fine simply training their pokemon team to be the very best like no one ever was. some people don't find that remotely engaging at all. some people will make the best of whatever their rp situation is. some people are here for one relationship dynamic and one relationship dynamic only and to heck with the rest of it. all of that is fine. but y'know. you can still try to juice the pot as much as you can to give people a reason to want to join and then to want to stick around later.
last edit on Jul 17, 2021 12:13:33 GMT by Kuroya