aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I may have finally taken the plunge and moved one of my sites to jcink. the skin is not the way I want it to be by any means, but I am having issues learning how to code it. I just don't have the time really. I am really glad though that most of my member base is just sticking around and vibing in the discord while I get my shit together lol. At least it's finally open again.

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I may have finally taken the plunge and moved one of my sites to jcink. the skin is not the way I want it to be by any means, but I am having issues learning how to code it. I just don't have the time really. I am really glad though that most of my member base is just sticking around and vibing in the discord while I get my shit together lol. At least it's finally open again.

one of us one of us one of us

honestly the best coding tips i got for jcink is just. code in codepen or another mockup software and port over afterwards. use inspect element on anything you're using a script for (like a recent topics move) to get the classes. ask for help if you need it, lots of jcink coders here + on other resource sites (like cttw) are super friendly + willing to help figure out a problem. webpages + multimods + custom ubbcodes are a godsend, use them. if/else statements are still one of your best friends. javascript is still trying to kill you in your sleep.
last edit on Nov 2, 2022 22:26:05 GMT by Kuroya

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
The biggest thing I was having issues with is the board layout. I want one of the cool ones where each board, or at least category, is coded to look different, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut. I have not quite been able to figure that out yet, so atm it just looks like some weirdly ported proboards site and I'm just going to be cool with that until I can figure it out. I've gotten lots of help I'm just really kind of stupid and if it's not explained to me like I'm a child, or directly shown to me via example code, I cannot do it lol.

4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
AkiraTsunami Avatar
The biggest thing I was having issues with is the board layout. I want one of the cool ones where each board, or at least category, is coded to look different, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut. I have not quite been able to figure that out yet, so atm it just looks like some weirdly ported proboards site and I'm just going to be cool with that until I can figure it out. I've gotten lots of help I'm just really kind of stupid and if it's not explained to me like I'm a child, or directly shown to me via example code, I cannot do it lol.

i'm 90% sure that's done by putting a global div on it with the board id and then doing the individual boards also using the id and then using the css to show or hide them based on whether the two numbers match

so for example
<bwrap class="board-#">
<board class="board-wide">BOARD CODE</board>
<board class="board-smol">BOARD 2 CODE</board>
</bwrap>

bwrap board { display: none; }
bwrap.board-1 board.board-wide { display: block; }
bwrap.board-2 board.board-smol { display: block; }

it's basically telling the css to go "all right, no board layouts will display except for the specific board layout i said was okay to display based on the board id number". you have to put the css in that order (to establish the base rule, "no board layouts will display", before you add in the rest, "except the ones i said are okay") and you can do it either for individual boards or general board types (like if you code a wide board type that goes across the site and a small board type that goes side-by-side) or combine the base idea with other things too (like if you want to hide a board if the current user is a guest)

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
yeah. i tried that but jcink said lol no. It has been glitching for me a lot lately. we've decided just to leave it for awhile until we're all used to it. but thank you for this, ill save it alongside the explanation leap gave me for when my brain is less stupid lol.

The Schediest of All
aliasSche
pronounsShe/her
90written posts
Codingwayearned bits
offlinecurrently
Codingway
Codingway Avatar
She'll tell you a fairy tale, or maybe she'll show your fate....
I don’t know if staffing peeves belong here, but that moment when someone is apping and they leave it for so long like at least a month long, way beyond the reservation date without any notification from the member. I honestly prefer it when members want to either inform us on the delay etc etc so we can help them accomodate. I understand real life things happen, but I don’t appreciate being left up hung up without any updates especially when we contact the member to make corrections on the submitted app and/or when we check in to see if everything is alright.
last edit on Nov 3, 2022 4:26:59 GMT by Codingway

aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
240written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
Codingway Avatar
I don’t know if staffing peeves belong here, but that moment when someone is apping and they leave it for so long like at least a month long, way beyond the reservation date without any notification from the member. I honestly prefer it when members want to either inform us on the delay etc etc so we can help them accomodate. I understand real life things happen, but I don’t appreciate being left up hung up without any updates especially when we contact the member to make corrections on the submitted app and/or when we check in to see if everything is alright.

I don't do reservations on my site, so the only real drawback when new members ghost is seeing all those interesting-looking wips that will never see the light of day. Taking time to review an app only to then never hear back from the player is annoying, yes, but it's for the best. It's useful to see applications as the "weeding out" phase. If a member can't be bothered to finish their app, chances are they weren't going to commit to the actual RP either.
aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
219written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
Kost Avatar
Codingway Avatar
I don't do reservations on my site, so the only real drawback when new members ghost is seeing all those interesting-looking wips that will never see the light of day. Taking time to review an app only to then never hear back from the player is annoying, yes, but it's for the best. It's useful to see applications as the "weeding out" phase. If a member can't be bothered to finish their app, chances are they weren't going to commit to the actual RP either.
I have to agree with this. The applications always kinda weed out new members and that's fine, but it also makes me sad like what is it about the app that you didn't want to put the full effort in like did you not have enough time or was it too complicated? I almost want to give like a customer satisfaction survey 8D
4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
ah yes, time once again to try to block out that little voice telling me i must be doing something wrong + that's why we can't get big like "all the other sites"

(not that i wanna get super mega big, mind you, plz no, but it'd be nice to not be at a state where the one or two main posters going inactive basically half-kill the site)
last edit on Nov 9, 2022 12:23:09 GMT by Kuroya

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
does anyone else struggle with affiliates because of anxiety? like yes, hello, I would like to feature your beautiful button on my site, but mine is trash and -cry-

4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
the desire to commission a skin so you don't have to come up with visual design vs the fear of getting a skin with design elements you end up disliking in 3 months' time - fight!
last edit on Nov 11, 2022 18:39:17 GMT by Kuroya

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I also would like to buy skins but I am hahabroke. That and it makes me sound like some weird 1800's peddler. "I would like to buy some skiiiins. what kinda skiiins" is it racoon, fox, or rabbit?? okay brain we go the morbid route today.