phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
interest check

for a vr mmo styled pokemon rp

okay so. confession time. i do not know when this site will actually be made. i really don't. because i wanna start from scratch a bit with the skin and i'm currently running 2 other sites and my entire soul winces at the thought of running a new pokemon site on my own. but on the flip side, this has been on the backburner for almost two years now which means i've done a lot of work on it off and on even though i've been out of the community. so. uh. yeah.

link cable will be a uniquely crafted vr mmo style animanga pokemon site hosted on jcink premium. these core concepts will not change. the basic site layout will be a digital world where you can catch pokemon, perform quests, and so on... alongside a real world where it will be geographically isolated to allow for meeting up (and so that no one can go public with the fact that the pokemon partners you make can be pulled into the real world and interacted with). systems are going to be as simple as i can manage: aka no exp, no levels, no rare + ban list, no z-moves, no abilities, no status effects, members pick the gender, moves done simply, evolutions done per battle count only, and so on.

other benefits include.
+ catchable legendaries! (eventually)
+ permanent mega evolutions! (eventually)
+ trainer exp for teams less or more than 6!
+ open up new areas to explore!
+ repeatable questing experience!
+ transfer teams from other pokemon sites! (still working out kinks)
+ flexible starter system for "new" characters! (still working out kinks)
+ transparent site systems!
+ member submitted quest lines!
+ make your own journey (pokemon-less if you want tbeh)!
+ easy training and battling systems!

possible benefits include.
+ comprehensive on-site pokedex!
+ unlockable future gens!
+ member modding where possible!
+ catch pokemon without pokeballs!

basically i'm still building the site in terms of thinking about systems and such, and again, i don't really know when this is going to be coming out since while i have a lot of time on my hands right now, i don't know how consistent that's gonna be, and imo, i'm not wanting to kill a site that's kind of... the culmination of two years of mentally playing with systems and two years of actually working with systems on other pokesites.

i guess where i'm going with this is like. 1) who'd be interested in this, 2) if anyone wants to brainstorm or ask questions this is a good time to do so, 3) i wanna get it down somewhere so it's something i can reference later, 4) who would maybe be interested in one day helping with this, and then a low-key 5) should i just do the thing anyway and let what comes come.
last edit on Aug 21, 2018 19:07:40 GMT by Kuroya
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
interest check

more details about this you say? you got it!

site premise

basically the running idea of it is that it's kind of... the "next stage" after pokemon go. the original year was gonna be 2020 but i might push that back to 2025 or 2030. but regardless, the premise is that nintendo had put out a pokemon mmo called "pokemon online" and was looking for beta testers for a top secret project, aka testing out the virtual reality aspect of the game and also further exploring what they stumbled across (aka pokemon are real in the digital world and can be pulled out of the digital world to interact with our world with no penalty). to get into the project, you have to agree to have no contact with the world outside of "cinnabar island", which is a small island out in the pacific that nintendo owns, but in exchange, you get everything taken care of. food and housing is free, all your bills are paid for, everyone's issued a cell phone, they'll give you a job if you want one (or let you start a business there), and they'll pay for your education at the local university with a highly-accredited curriculum and a mentoring program that can work to integrate you back into the world if you choose to return after the 5 year beta period is over. basically the company is offering a low-key utopia since it's such a dramatic thing they're asking of you (like, at best you can maybe write letters to your family, but they're screened for confidentiality reasons) and since they're low-key hoping to retain the testers after the beta period ends.

originally they were planning on just porting everyone's information from the old game via a server transfer, but at the last minute a virus was discovered deep in the program and it had eaten away at a ton of the game's coding and servers - forcing them to load up a previous version while working to recover later levels and areas and scramble to set up characters again from what they could recover. a lot of people lost their old accounts, but on the flip side, because it was so haphazard, some people who were on the old servers got their characters partially transferred, some even with "glitched pokemon" (aka pokemon who wouldn't be released yet; the whole thing is just an in-character explanation for why importing old character teams works as an out-of-character mechanic), and just. it's a bit of a mess, they know, they're working on it as best they can. but it made nintendo glad they off-shot the whole thing into another company. but on the flip side, now the pokemon don't seem like they're holograms in the real world (hence how that became a thing they have no control over), so yeah, they're dealing with a lot of "it's not a bug, it's a feature" moments.

tl;dr there's a lot of digimon feels in here and a lot of other fun mmo feels and if you wanna go become the best, that's great; if you wanna befriend all the pokemon, you can do that; if you wanna ignore the pokemon aspect almost entirely, hey, that's entirely an option too, go nuts.

pokemon systems

basically pokemon are gonna be as simple as i can possibly make them. some of them are also more set in stone than others, so bear with me through this. some of it may change as things develop and i ruminate on them, some of it may not mirror what ends up happening eventually.

basics. pokemon are going to be more or less tracked by the species. remember this for later but. basically what it means right now is that we're not gonna concern ourselves with ability at all or gender outside of certain species (ie, you can't have a biologically male nidorina; we aren't gonna worry about vespiqueen or gallade though). this then departs into our three big separations: evolution, moves, and pokemon "classes".

evolution (+ megas). all pokemon will be evolving through the number of battles they participate in. i've not worked on a hard conversion scale yet (i might do 1 + stage # + one-fifth the original level and work from there) and this is an area where having an on-site pokedex would be great but. like i said, it's number of battles, so evo stones + friendship + trading + held items + move evos aren't gonna be a thing, it'll be all just pure battles. which will be either quests or wilds, we'd take either. this is essentially just playing with numbers by this point, so i'm not worried. extendedly, mega evolutions are something that you unlock via your "trainer level" but more on that later. at the core system, you'd have the option to either temporarily mega evolve or consume the mega stone for a permanent mega evolution after a certain number of battles again. you'd also be limited to how many active megas you can have in a party at one time but. yeah.

moves. rather than get messy with moves, we're going to take a leaf out of mystery dungeon and go's book for a more classic mmo style feel. basically all pokemon get 2 moves to start (a basic attack you can use whenever and a charge attack you can use with a cooldown) that the member would pick from a list of options when they get the mon or decide to mod it for quests. this is another place where that pokedex would come in handy since we'd list out the possible basic and charge attacks available for a given pokemon. from there, if you want other moves, you can use legacy coins to teach "legacy moves" from other sources which will probably have a cooldown too but less of one than an actual charge attack. on the flip side, since i'm 99% sure we'd be using basic "go" movesets... to cover pokemon which just aren't released yet in go (since imo they've only released through gen 3 right now), we'd also give an option for "glitched pokemon" from future gens who just have a "basic attack" that's typeless and a "special attack" that is one of their types that functions as a charge attack.

pokemon classes. this is essentially the closest we're gonna come to stats or levels really. basically what it boils down to is that all pokemon are given certain "classes" that have certain expectations with battling + modding. basic pokemon would have 10 hp and do normal damage - they're your average captured pokemon and have all our systems in place. wild pokemon, by contrast, have 7 hp and only know a kind of "basic attack" which is typeless does 1 damage - they're what you encounter for every wild thread and for "normal" quest pokemon. from there, we get into a "coin" system (basically attacker and defender coins from quest rewards) that can make your pokemon an attacker class (meaning you add 1 damage to every attack they make), a defender class (meaning their max hp is now 13), or a balanced class (meaning they have both benefits). the other notable class would be quest for any quest-line bosses which would just mean there'd be possible attack bonuses or different hp levels.

capturing pokemon. if you want to get another pokemon, you would have the option of creating a wild thread, where a mod or member would roll from a certain list for each area and then plop down the basic species you would get from that area. members would be limited to 1 per character and a max of 3-5 per member (just so we don't get harold over there with 20 wilds for each of his characters or susan over here with 10 wilds for one of her characters). the member would have to write out the battle and/or capture (since imo friendly capture is an option) and then either request to keep going or ask to end the thread with each pokemon. they'd also be required to take at least 1 damage in each battle so as to keep things somewhat fair. i might also cap the max number of modded pokemon in a single thread to 6. idk, it might not be necessary with the 1 damage requirement. i'm also hard debating removing pokeballs entirely and taking a leaf out of pokemon conquest and going with that catching a pokemon requires establishing a "link" with them on your poketch (aka your phone) by gathering data on them through the interaction and catching them immediate ends the thread, but i'm still toying with that too.

purchasing pokemon. buying a pokemon from the site shop would be the other option for obtaining a new pokemon. shop purchases would be either you paying a lower cost for a roll of the lowest available pokemon of an evo family out of a given type (aka eevee would be obtainable in electric because of jolteon but pikachu would not because pichu) or paying a higher cost to specify a specific list of possible rolls or a specific singular base pokemon (not sure which i would prefer right now). shop purchases might be eggs, i'm not 100% sure on that (i'm kinda leaning towards it though) which would basically mean you put the counter in 1 thread and make five posts and then we'd hatch it for you. also yes member stores would be a thing.

legendary pokemon. legendaries would not be catchable at the start of the site nor would they be something you can import onto the site. however, that being said, eventually, i would like to open up an option to purchase an ability to go out to "legendary isle" on a special wild thread to find legendary pokemon. obviously, the same legendary can be caught multiple times (it's an mmo, after all) but i might limit how many legendaries a character can have at once and make them character-bound, just so we don't see a newbie with all the legendary birds transferred onto them. we'd structure the prices so, for example, celebi costs more than articuno and so that you can only get a small number of rolls before you have to give up and try again for a certain legendary. i might also give legendaries the option for a "legend" add-on for class that gives them an extra +2 hp and +1 attack after they're caught, but i'm also not 100% sure on that.

starter pokemon. when you're starting out, you can either choose to start fresh or to import a team from a previous site. for starting fresh, i'm thinking what would happen is that you have two options. you can either choose to pick a type and have three lowest-evolved-form starters for you to pick from randomized from that based on the family (aka, again, eevee is an option in electric because of jolteon but pikachu is not) and you would also get either a bit of extra starting money or the option to pick one of the class coins to put on a pokemon. you'd get one reroll if you don't like any of the options, but if you reroll, you must pick from the new three (yes, even if you like them less). alternatively, you can name 3-5 non-legendary pokemon and get one of them randomized for you from that list, but you get no bonus items and you're stuck with what gets rolled. that way there's some randomized fun with it but also we're not just letting people have whatever they want right off the bat.

importing pokemon. like i said way back at the start, i want to be able to let people move teams over from a character's iteration on a previous site. while we will need to verify that it's your character and impose a few limits (right now, this is more or less no legendaries, limiting to 6 pokemon max, and requesting that members try not to abuse it just to get the teams they want). but remember how i said pokemon are gonna be tracked by the species? this is where that comes in since it means that one site's level 20 female charmander with a hidden ability and 12 moves is gonna be about the same as another site's level 5 male charmander with blaze and knowing scratch and growl. conversely, a level 50 charmander is not going to equal a level 30 charmeleon. however, that being said, we'd probably convert a level 30 charmander so they get either an attacker or defender class designation and a level 60 charmander so they're a balanced class. just so that's not entirely lost.

shiny pokemon. as you may have noticed, this was entirely absent from the other headings. this wasn't exactly an accident. originally i was planning on doing a standard "yeah you can find shiny pokemon and import them and so on" and make that a mod roll. then my instincts for kiss came in and i went "huh that might be a good quest reward" so. we may have no naturally occurring shinies outside of shiny token use and imports (since imo, converting it to shiny tokens and then putting it on again makes it moot anyway). but i'm still toying with that so we'll see.

breeding pokemon. honestly i'm on the fence with this entire system since on one hand, it's kind of unnecessary given the shop mechanic, but on the other, it's a good way to get a given pokemon onto the site. right now i'm leaning towards no since imo the systems are pretty generous as is for getting the exact pokemon you want, but again, we'll see.

site systems

basics. okay so i'm gonna blow through some of this as quickly as i can for an overview. trainers are going to have their levels that dictate some of what they can do. we have a questing system that will be used for "mainline quests" (aka the site progression) and user-submitted "side quests" (aka how to get those quest rewards like legacy tokens, shiny tokens, attacker + defender coins, and extra exp and money). we have a basic wild system for getting more pokemon, but that's already been explained so i'm not going into that again.

trainer levels. basically all trainers are gonna have individual levels like an mmo. which i mean. it's an mmo site, ofc we do this. what your level dictates, so to speak, is a few things. for example, as you go up in trainer level, you can start bringing more pokemon with you (from 2-3 as a novice trainer to 9 as a master) or having mega evolutions with you. you can also get access to more areas and higher level quests with more / better rewards.

overall questing. questing would be, much like wild threads, limited to 1 thread per character and 3-5 threads per member. while concluding them is going to give you bonuses in trainer exp and money (both of which right now you can earn without ever setting foot in the online world, though this may change, i don't know, that's pending some screwing with jcink's systems to see what i can do with them)... they're also going to be the sole source of items like legacy tokens, shiny tokens, attacker coins, and defender coins. they'll also be separated both by trainer level (since imo higher level trainers get higher leveled quests with higher level rewards) and by either "mainline" quests or "side" quests.

mainline quests. the mainline quests are, as you would imagine, what would be considered the main storyline of any game. with this in mind, instead of large-scale events or a firm plotline on the site, we'd be using the mainline quest to push the story along. it's basically the big bad of the level that has to be defeated in a giant boss thread before you can progress to the next area and open up more pokemon to actually mod out. rewards might be lesser than a side quest, i'm not sold on that, i might make them repeatable instead and do that you have to do them in a given party so there can be 2 threads of the same quest at once, even after the quest has been cleared once to open up the next area. i just don't know, i'm still working out the kinks.

side quests. side quests, by comparison, are going to be simpler kinds of quests that are primarily going to be user-submitted, though we will keep a certain number of them available as default. these are going to be a bit more of your standard mmo experience (ie, roll a die to determine if you find xyz number of wanted items, basic defeat some number of rattata in an area, basic beat up the boss pidgeot, roll a die to catch some runaway mareep, roll a die to find some lost item) but they're mostly intended to give some rewards and easy training and such, both for solo and for group modding. they'd be repeatable and with any luck, not require anything more from the staff outside of approving the quest submission, updating a mod list, and popping in to award quest rewards when it's done.

overall moderation strap yourselves in, folks, because we're gonna try to set things up so modding is a lot less work than usual and is a community job. that's right, you heard me. outside of a few areas in promotional events, mainline quest generation, application approvals, shop purchases, legendary wild threads, site upkeep, and trainer progression, we're gonna try to make this as member-moddable as possible. let the members roll wild threads. let the members submit and run side quests. i am ready for this. (i'm also debating whether or not we want to do separate team threads that get locked and staff updated simply so there's no cheating for species or moves or pokemon classes or anything else and so that there's a definite log somewhere on things but we'll see.)

questions and concerns

wow this is... a lot.
like i said, i've had a lot of experience with pokemon sites and a lot of time to actually quietly play with systems in my head.

you're putting a lot of faith in members to do things.
honestly, to me, it makes sense. obviously, we'll have an option for members to report potential systems abuse or favoritism, but if it means that members are likely to get their things faster with less stress on the mods? i don't see why it would be a problem to push as much modding onto the members as we can.

why jcink?
honestly i just really prefer jcink's systems. proboards is a pain and i've long ago accepted that i'm just not going back. sorry!

why put so much of this up?
i have a lot of time on my hands right now and i'm low-key debating starting to work on it to pull it together because of that. and i high-key don't want people sniping it out from under me without having some insurance to cry foul for if i start seeing pokemon sites popping up with this setup so. yeah. and yes i've had site ideas ripped off me before, so.

why do this now?
i have time, i'm feeling nostalgic, i have a desire to skin, i'm caught up for once, i have my affairs in order, i've been replaying some of the older games, there's a lack of really great pokemon sites right now, pokemon let's go has me excited, i've been high-key debating doing it anyway right now... it's a huge combination of factors to be entirely honest so. yeah.

can i app a canon?
no. you can't use pokemon faces either though. those are gonna be site npcs.

can i app an npc character?
..... maybe?

can i app someone who doesn't want to do pokemon?
sure i guess? there won't be a lot for you but. if you want it, do it?

can i app a gijinka?
if you want pokemon abilities.... no. but i might just shrug loudly and say more "fantastic" appearances (animal ears + tail + horns + wings) would be cosmetic surgery and it just works so. yeah. no clue for sure, but for right now, that works.

..... you're really not gonna do site events?
okay we might occasionally do temporary side quests that are event themed (aka things like "it's summer, come fight the torkoal of the hot springs for a neat award" or "it's christmas, come defeat all the delibirds for a special redeemable item") but no, right now, i'm not thinking we're gonna do them.

last edit on Aug 21, 2018 20:12:06 GMT by Kuroya
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
interest check

look i just need a placeholder right now so this is just. it.
last edit on Aug 21, 2018 18:42:02 GMT by Kuroya
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Deleted old post to post a proper one.

As someone who has admined on too many Pokemon sites to live to tell the tale... this is wonderful in its core. A Pokemon site that removes a ton of nasty soul draining mod work and all the disgusting minutia people fight about? This is my heart.

On top of that, combining the versatility and easy-to-understand methods of VRMMO RPs?

Let's keep a running list of my dumb thoughts.

• I really like the island aspect; it feels very GX or Digimon. It provides a realistic sized place to do IRL RP that Pokemon Regions tend to have issues with, while being big enough to allow a variety in locations, occupations, and people existing within.
  • I like the real-world take on it; being able to realistically say my nerd plays The Legend of Zelda on the island because its Nintendoland is pretty fun. It also removes the need to make up stuff or limit myself to Pokemon-centric technology.
  • No abilities seems controversial at first glance, but I think it removes a lot of the hassle of figuring out what the obscure ones do, how they all interact with each other, etc etc... I think it is a good sacrifice to make in the long term. Similarly, simplified evolution mechanics is A++.
  • Ditching the concept of Pokeballs as a capture mechanic and going with a Conquest Link - maybe using the Pokedex/VR App in some way - could be a nice custom touch.
  • Everything else seems like solid VRMMO stuff, so I don't have much to add there yet.

My only real line of questioning, which you touched on but I'd love to see expanded, is what to do about Pokemon that are not in Pokemon GO, since we have 807+ and GO is around...360ish. You mentioned data corruption and the like, which is a fine story reason (and being a VRMMO, ofc we can throw in New Expansions! and such, like most games) but people get really picky about pokemon generational access and if they can get all of their faves or not.

Other than my initial thoughts, I'm pretty excited about this! I cannot offer to help staff since its JCINK and I absolutely dread anything to do with Jcink outside of being a member, but I wanna see this project go somewhere.

4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
@murdoc i know a lot of those feelings since uh. like i said. i'm in the same boat in that i've been running pokemon sites for two years more or less on my own and then another year or so before all that where i was helping staff one. and in looking around at pokemon rps now i just had this realization that the whole thing could be simplified so much more cleanly and that kind of. pushed me to this.

i'll just tuck away my response to your thoughts under a spoiler so that i'm not just. rambling for days on why i made some of the choices that i did because honestly i love world-building and i will ramble forever on why i made a lot of the choices i'm making here.

1) the island aspect was actually meant as an easy solution to an obvious problem: the world. it's an open beta signup proposed to the whole world - realistically, it would be entirely possible for someone from japan or china to be right there playing the game alongside someone from europe or america. and since i don't want to limit it to an actual sao ripoff (if only because i want to keep the option of having a population of older people learning how to pokemon because that sounds great and also y'know this would explain why most of the island is young adults or teenagers)... the obvious solution to the problem in my head was just "phone provides universal translators via bluetooth, everyone lives on an island, problem solved". which fell into solving a lot other problems by proxy so. it's something i've used before on other sites, just never a pokemon one.

2) there's definite pros and cons to it. the pro is that it's a lot more tangible than a pokemon world or even unique site lore looking at you reach, but the obvious con is that you do run into issues with who you're getting since imo it's a lot easier to explain why you have a crusty old lady in a true pokemon world versus explaining why you have a crusty old lady volunteering to join a pokemon mmo for a spell. but that's not really something i'm gonna squint too hard at in apps so. yeah.

3) honestly i'm just trying to remove as much of the actual mod rolling as possible. or at least, the stuff where i'd want actual mods rolling it (since like, i care less if we have someone cheating a bit at quest rolls than i would at abilities). it also solves a lot of the problems with having "useless" abilities like illuminate or arena trap. it's the same reason why i actually threw out leveling as a concept. it's a bit radical, sure, but at the end of the day, it's all min-maxing and i remember how intimidating it probably was looking at reach with half the memberbase at starter levels all the way through to the small handful of players who had level 100s and were modding them out and just causing low-key chaos i say where i was one of those jerks. in a way, stepping away from the genre actually kind of helped since if i had done this back when reach died almost two years ago... i almost definitely would have kept the systems rather than adapting.

i will tip my hat to you though since i'm fairly certain that you were one of the people running the site that originally gave me the idea for the simplified evolution mechanics. i was never on it, but i processed a few apps from a friend of mine who was, and the idea stuck and presented itself as a solution to the "cp is going to be just as painful as levels" problem.

4) i'm not 100000% sold on that yet, to be honest. i just. honestly hit upon a thought for "what if i just. take out pokeballs as a shop item and a mechanic to consider" and i paused to consider it for a moment and it just. seemed to work. it would mean that mods could theoretically never need to touch actual wild threads unless we suspect there's issues or need to close it since we wouldn't need to take pokeballs out of an automatic inventory or process it as a purchase if it's not using the site store mechanic on jcink. and i'm already dragging a lot of digimon influences anyway so i might as well go all in and drop pokeballs too.

5) yeah. i mean. confession time, i've done a lot less work on mmo sites, and while i have been on a few, i've never built one the way i have pokemon sites, so in a way, i'm working from scratch to build a system that i've never really seen fully implemented well on a site i've been on before. hence why i'm more testing the ground with it gingerly than i am with the pokemon mechanics. i know where to cut corners with pokemon and get away with it. questing? not so much.

okay so. with the pokemon outside of gen 3 since that is the back line, as of right now, deoxys is the last one they've released, and while rumors of gen 4 are floating around, that's still only accounting for maybe half of the pokemon we see now and doesn't include some of the cool alolan versions.

obviously, like i mentioned originally, if you're part of another pokemon site and bringing a character who was already made and approved... you would just import your pokemon, take the penalty of the "generic" moveset, and move on with your life. which, thinking about it, i might even end up switching over from a pokedex style moveset listings so that instead it's just "pick 2 moves that in your pokemon's natural moveset in some game, there's choices for basic and charge attacks, anything else they could learn would be legacy coin stuff for tms / hms or egg moves"...... this has merit and would free up a lot of coding opportunities so it's just trying to figure out how to do a filtering for some really basic kind of "where does this pokemon show up" pokedex"

...... anyway. back to the actual issue. getting those extra pokemon who haven't been revealed in go provided that we split off from the go movesets (since, real talk, that's the one reason we're stuck in those limits other than the potential for "expansions" (tm) when modding, and even then, i might end up having to reroute the whole thing in that regard since jcink can't really support two money systems so i'm either gonna have to hijack posts as a currency, which has a lot of other implications and is closely tied to the point system, or start poking around into using a custom profile field or the rep system for trainer exp). uh.

right now i'd be tentatively thinking that having a kind of "glitch override" item as a quest reward would work out to get those "not actually released" pokemon. or it could be a shop item, even though i kind of wince at the thought of making them into an unofficial rarity thing when there's no real reason for that distinction beyond simple arbitrariness. and like i've always said, at the end of the day, rarity lists are kind of a moot point since imo you can say an eevee is rare until you're blue in the face, the moment one touches the site, everyone is going to do whatever they gotta do to get one. or however many it is they want. it's a lot easier, less stressful, and less frustrating to simply accept that fact and move on rather than get upset over it.

as far as things with jcink goes - i've been on it for two years and i'm still finding stuff i didn't really know i could do. (case in point: me finding out how awards work this month.) it's a little bit of a learning curve from proboards, but it's not as bad as i thought it was once i get the hang of it, and by this point, i prefer a lot of jcink's options on the member and admin sides of it that proboards just. does not do it for me anymore. i can't imagine going back.

honestly just having someone to help soundboard things is a huge step forward since like. oops i probably stumbled into an epiphany on systems as i was answering your original question on the generational stuff and i'm not for-sure sold on it since i literally just thought of it, but the chances are good that it'll ruminate its way down and stick. sometimes talking through stuff helps me figure out where i want to go with it so. yeah.
last edit on Aug 22, 2018 0:43:52 GMT by Kuroya
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Yeah, we just made evolution be a currency thing on that old site. Made things so much easier since we already had a ton of other work to do, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

Anyways here's some more spit out of my brain thoughts

I have some experience on MMO sites, and in many ways its still all about setting up self-running systems that members can figure out for themselves; I think there is enough here to flesh out to make them idiot proof (or the polite term, Keep It Simple Stupid) and get enough of a solid member base to explain to anyone who gets confused.

Posts=Currency is a feels bad situation. I feel like it heavily benefits one group of roleplayers and no one else, without getting too heavily into the how's and why's.

I think, as long as not-in-Go Pokemon have a _way_ to get into the game somehow, its fine, even if people gotta work for it. I think it fits the mythos behind the VRMMO aspect, and it could be a really cool way to release new "expansions" or whatnot, or even do some really weird glitch things on site, even if there isn't a true site event.

I'm perfectly fine with the site being jcink, that's so much power to you for being able to figure it out, but I am so code illiterate and already had a monkeybrain time of managing anything to do with proboards that looking at any jcink backend stuff makes me wanna shotgun myself with several kahluas

If you need a better soundboard feel free to continue to yell at me about Pokemon site stuff, this shit is in my blood and I will never escape it.
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
Okay. It is early morning and I just woke up and I'm on a phone but let's ramble through some of this.

@murdoc You definitely have a point on the expansions and glitches being fun. I might end up doing the move set thing change just to break us away from any single game or gen base and then just run things via slow expansions as kind of. The explanation for why everyone has to wait until I have no other work and am slowly going through the Pokedex to add more Pokemon. You can roll them for starters or buy them from the shop but otherwise this is reality now.

Basically I wouldn't even want to use posts as currency since it makes it difficult to track who's posted and how much. The only reason why it is an option worth considering is how Jcink lets you set up the systems. Basically every level can just be a posting rank and we can group the member groups from simple bundles based on when new areas and quests open up (aka novice at 1-2, adept at 3-5, expert at 6-8, and then master at 9-10). From there all you have to do on the back end is turn off that new posts increase post count and let members be able to promote into the new group after a certain number of posts and you don't really have to touch anything to manage that.

The problem with that comes in that the money system just isn't equipped for that. Basically for Jcink, if the post counts towards your post count, it awards you the money for it. Which would not be what I'd want since now no one gets money unless they're finishing threads and having the mods award it to them manually, which isn't ideal either.

Tl;dr on this back end admin stuff that you're probably crying over... automation is fun but at the end of the day it screws up a whole lot of other things so exp is probably gonna be a floating custom field members can't touch but mods can. The question is just me figuring out how to do it right and that's gonna involve some messing around in the admin panel to figure out my options. Since I really do want trainer exp to be limited to quest rewards and maybe closing out wild threads for obvious reasons.

Meanwhile I'm over here crying at the very thought of going back to proboards coding, I hate it so much, it's so messy even on a good day. That's definitely more than fair, the admin panel can be a little intimidating until you figure it out, especially if you're not filtering it down properly. And since I'll be shifting a lot of the more active mod work into players' hands, I'm hoping that will help with things on our end running with fewer staff than a small army.

Anyway I'll be able to work on some of the content all over again today since I'll be at a doctor's appointment for my mom, so we'll see what chewing over some of those systems and more concrete site lore does.
last edit on Aug 22, 2018 16:11:44 GMT by Kuroya
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
honestly, given how much of the systems are based on pogo, that's not really gonna be a dealbreaker, imo

uh i mean-

as a quiet update, i did not work on systems at all today, but i came home and started low-key throwing out most of the skin i stress coded a year and a half ago like a terrible person and i may have loosely worked on a couple of ideas before i got sidetracked down a different design path for something else. i will ride design inspiration for as far as it will take me okay

will i go with one, will i go with the other, will i go with the old thing i have - right now it's anyone's guess, web design is hard.
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
okay in doing a significant bit more work on the boards and such i have hit roadblocks that i'm now mulling over so. uh. i'm gonna do a couple of things.

firstly please like this post if you would like to be tagged in future updates. they'll probably be a bit more sporadic than this, i've just been tinkering with things off and on so there have been decisions to be made.

also if y'all could answer the following questions, that would be great. usually this is stuff i'd be working out with a co-admin but since this is looking to be a solo project right now, oops, y'all are getting them instead

-- would you want to be able to log off into the real world? why? (basically, would you rather see a more sao-style rp where everyone's stuck in the digital world and they make a peaceful city on a common server or would you rather have a whole offline real world to explore and for me to flesh out with the same level of detail oops?)

-- for the casual area, how would you want the boards arranged? would you prefer by district or by purpose? (basically do you want me coming up with more concrete areas based on location like "pikachu apartments, mauville mall, kecleon square" or more abstract areas based on purpose like "residences, shops, public works"?)

-- would you be opposed to areas being unlockable by level or by progression? (basically, would you want all 18 "moddable" areas to be default available for everyone or sorted into "difficulties" and unlockable as you climb the difficulty scale and invisible until we have an expert + master trainer? would you want 3 areas available to start but more available as you beat mainline quests to advance or would you want them all just available from the start?)

-- would you be opposed to limitations on moddable mon by generation, whether by trainer level or by site progression? (basically, so i don't have to start with a pokedex for 800+ mon by default, how okay are you with later generations being found as wilds only in higher level modding areas only or only in areas you have to unlock by beating those main quests?)

-- how would you want want ads to be arranged? (basically, would you prefer them by gender - male / female / nonbinary / mixed - or by role - family, platonic, romantic, antagonistic, mixed + other - or by some other method?)

-- how would you feel about having locked threads for pokemon parties? (basically, would it bother you if we kept trainer pokemon in a locked thread that was staff-updated so we can reliably log species, movesets, and classes?)

-- would you be interested in joining? how about staffing? (basically, you're not for sure committing, and it's fine if you just wanna help system-build, but i'd really appreciate having an approximate head count for both member base to start and especially for staffing help)
last edit on Aug 24, 2018 13:08:21 GMT by Kuroya
Army-Crushing Star
pronounsSey/Sem
274written posts
Benetnaschearned bits
offlinecurrently
Benetnasch
Benetnasch Avatar
All my attempts to rp end in failure, so now I'm a solo act.
-- would you want to be able to log off into the real world? why? I'd like to be able to log out. I've had my fair share of vrmmorpgs where characters were trapped in the game, but only one or two where they could clock out for the day. I liked that my characters could brood about being overworked or not getting a date...instead of the constant worry of being PK'd or kicked to death by a virtual pig.

-- for the casual area, how would you want the boards arranged? would you prefer by district or by purpose? I'm ok with abstract; all I need is an idea of what is and isn't in that section. Players could fill in the rest.

-- would you be opposed to areas being unlockable by level or by progression? I like starting from the bottom and working my way up. I would prefer to have more progression than leveling, however. As a former quest mod who has worked with word count and post based leveling, it's a lot of work. At the same time, I like the idea of making new areas accessible via site plots. So three areas with varying degrees of difficulty would be good, for example.

-- would you be opposed to limitations on moddable mon by generation, whether by trainer level or by site progression? I'm ok with that.

-- how would you want want ads to be arranged? As n character want ads, or the "we need more of THESE and less of THESE"? don't use the former, but I'd like the latter to be less...gender focused. More role oriented.

-- how would you feel about having locked threads for pokemon parties? I don't have a problem with that.

-- would you be interested in joining? how about staffing? I'm interested in joining for sure. As for staffing, I feel confident I could help out with claims and such.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
-- would you want to be able to log off into the real world? why? (basically, would you rather see a more sao-style rp where everyone's stuck in the digital world and they make a peaceful city on a common server or would you rather have a whole offline real world to explore and for me to flesh out with the same level of detail oops?)

Being able to log off is much more interesting, and adds a lot of fun options that you miss out on with the stuck-in version. The stuck one works better for high-stakes RP, and this feels like a much more casual style of Pokemon.

-- for the casual area, how would you want the boards arranged? would you prefer by district or by purpose? (basically do you want me coming up with more concrete areas based on location like "pikachu apartments, mauville mall, kecleon square" or more abstract areas based on purpose like "residences, shops, public works"?)

By purpose, unless the island is small enough that distinct places will really matter i.e. is there only one town square? or multiple?

-- would you be opposed to areas being unlockable by level or by progression? (basically, would you want all 18 "moddable" areas to be default available for everyone or sorted into "difficulties" and unlockable as you climb the difficulty scale and invisible until we have an expert + master trainer? would you want 3 areas available to start but more available as you beat mainline quests to advance or would you want them all just available from the start?)

A sense of progression is always nice, especially when it makes narrative sense.

-- would you be opposed to limitations on moddable mon by generation, whether by trainer level or by site progression? (basically, so i don't have to start with a pokedex for 800+ mon by default, how okay are you with later generations being found as wilds only in higher level modding areas only or only in areas you have to unlock by beating those main quests?)

Site progression sounds good; it also allows you to pepper out the missing Pokemon in events or holidays or weird things happening, as well as your potential import system.

-- how would you want want ads to be arranged? (basically, would you prefer them by gender - male / female / nonbinary / mixed - or by role - family, platonic, romantic, antagonistic, mixed + other - or by some other method?)

No opinion, do not use want ads.

-- how would you feel about having locked threads for pokemon parties? (basically, would it bother you if we kept trainer pokemon in a locked thread that was staff-updated so we can reliably log species, movesets, and classes?)

This is an acceptable system for keeping things fair and simple, as long as its done uniformly.

-- would you be interested in joining? how about staffing? (basically, you're not for sure committing, and it's fine if you just wanna help system-build, but i'd really appreciate having an approximate head count for both member base to start and especially for staffing help)

I want to be a member and also yell about systems.
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
update!
-- @murdoc + (for more update tags in the future, like this post!)

i've been doing a lot of work on stuff and so uh. i've got more than this done but take a small preview of what i'm 90% sure our skin is going to be (more or less) once i get things worked out coding-wise. which helps since it's helping me iron out some systems as i go (like leaning towards using a profile app format instead of app threads), so. yeah. uh.

more importantly though, i've been playing with a rough timeline of using september as a kind of "building month" so to speak so that i have a good bit of time to flex things around and slowly work things into actually being written out for systems. i'll probably start hard fishing for staff in mid-september, then i'm hoping to use october as a kind of "30 day trial" type thing. basically we'd be open for members and guests but we may not have a few things up and running (specifically our questing system at the moment and possibly the on-site pokedex as well depending on time restraints and how far into parsing it all out i can get) when we first open and instead slowly scaling them in and seeing how things work out before a full open in november.

(or in more gaming terms... building and alpha testing in september, open beta testing for october, and then hopefully full release in november).

as answers to some of the questions i asked last time i was here:

-- logging off into the real world is defs gonna a thing. i got my board layout. we good.

-- the board area was gonna be abstract. then i realized i had 0 idea how to structure that well. so it's not. but i got the layout now so. no worries.

-- right now i'm looking at 3 online areas default unlocked with a maximum of 18 possible areas (one for each type). they're going to be sorted into 6 possible "servers" that are limited by level (2 novice, 1 adept, 1 expert, 2 master) and each additional area is going to be unlockable via the first completion of a mainline quest. while some pokemon might be shuffled around with expansions and i'm currently intending for a release with gen 1 and gen 2 available, basically, once the first 6 areas are unlocked, it'll be theoretically possible for a novice to be able to obtain all available modded pokemon (aka basic / baby evos) released at that time. conversely, the master areas are going to be where you can get actual evolved pokemon (maybe not full evos like charizard or umbreon but at bare minimum middle evos like charmeleon or haunter). how any gen divides might go is something i'm still on the fence for.

-- character want ads are going by role. for sure.

-- we're almost definitely going with the locked threads for 'mon just because it will help us with making sure we know rules are being followed and things aren't getting ninja-edited the way they used to be. the only regret i have is that it'll mean members gotta essentially "track" things twice since they'll have to keep up names and genders, not us, but on the flip side, they won't have to do literally any other tracking since we'll be moving items entirely into the shop (meaning inventories are automated and somewhat character-bound) and we'll be keeping track of all stats and such.

and now for a few systems i'm vaguely bouncing around right now. i know not everyone is going to care for this kind of systems talk, oops, this is just. what happens when i'm more or less solo world building with no one to bounce things off of really.

-- profile application process. basically it's still freeform because heck anything else but it'd guarantee all members had a plotter, a tracker, and a "pc" (aka the staff tracked pokemon thread) running first. yes, you would get locked out of editing your profile after approval, but we'd do a member group for people who wanted to edit their things and maybe drop approved peeps in there who still have to do claims so that they don't have to actually make a wip plotter or go through and change it with every pend. more or less it just means that instead of posting an app thread and a pc thread and running that together, you fill out your profile fields (html would be enabled) and you'd get approved or pended on the actual pc thread and basically just. you'd get approved and moved to the "glitched" subgroup or w/e and then fill out your claims and pick your starter if you're not importing and the staff would edit the original acceptance message to be an updates log. imo it's not a perfect system and i'm still mentally toying with it a lot, but i'm hard debating being lazy about coding an app and instead just. trying something out that's a bit more innovative.

-- questing system. okay honesty time i'm still toying a bit with this so. yeah. it's a little rough and i'm trying to work out kinks and while i'm more sold on it than i was on my original idea, i might end up reworking it hard between now and release of the questing system.

basically we'd take a leaf out of like.... dmo go back to that main / side quest division more or less. quests would be sorted based on whether they're a daily quest (more or less solo quests based around low exp rewards but giving you a chance to get all of your items like legacy coins and shiny tokens if you want to grind them), a main quest (aka the boss raids against the guardian of the area, so an intended party of 4-6, and it would be a large dumping of exp at once), or a side quest (basically user-submitted quests for 2-3 people for more general exp and less randomized rewards). obviously dailys would be given a cooldown (probably you have to wait 1-2 weeks after ending your last daily to start a new one) and the rewards wouldn't be as good (aka it'd award 5 exp compared to, say, 25 for a main quest and 15 for a side quest [which for context i'm thinking i'll give new players 5-10 exp to start]) or as reliable (aka there's a chance to walk away with only exp and they could be randomized from possibilities, whether that's out of legacy / attacker / defender coins or out of all possible mega stones).

just i guess. basically. dailys are good for if you want to try your luck at things or bang out a quest quickly without worrying about other people so much (we'd structure it out so you have to go mod roll to mod roll in one post though so that it's not someone spamming it with random cutoffs and double-posts for extra money). side quests are good for if you're going for something specific, like a pinsirite for your mega pinsir, or want an easy thread possibility that might not happen between characters otherwise. main quests are good for expanding the site, getting a large lump sum of exp at once, and maybe getting certain rarer goodies like an item that would force an evolution without battling (or just lessen the number needed) or let you override character creation limits or maybe even getting form changing stuff, i don't know.

-- character creation balancing. i'm still playing around with it a little bit, but right now i'm thinking that i want to do that imported characters start with 0 exp period since they can bring a maximum of 6 pokemon with them (i'm actually debating capping it at 3 since that's the max party cap for level 1 trainers anyway) and imo they can obviously have stronger pokemon since anything level 30+ means one class upgrade and level 60+ means two class upgrades, and maybe i'll convert 3 tms into a legacy coin but i'm not sold on that. a lot of this side is just playing around with numbers here since even if i kind of liked reach's old import system, by this point, i'm kind of starting from scratch community-wise, so in a sense, by rewarding coming from our old community, i'd be bringing in a system which primarily benefits me, which yikes (not to mention i kind of want to start from scratch anyway).

for new characters, i might do that everyone gets 5 exp to start. from there, they can either add 5 exp if they're picking up a want ad (to try to incentivize people to take them) or they can subtract 5 exp so that instead of picking 1 type to get 3 randomized starter possibilities to pick from (with one free reroll just in case all 3 options are bad, but once rerolled, you can't go back), they can name 6 pokemon evolution families (so that we don't end up with people just naming off eeveelutions to try to guarantee an eevee) and get the staff randomizing out of that. i also might work in an option to use an item to pass a pokemon out from another approved character of the same player (maybe one of those main quest reward items) since i'm not 10000% against players moving pokemon around, i just want to try to minimize the work on the staff given that we're doing staff-edited pc threads and such. (and y'know, to minimize the number of people coming in with top classed fully evolved pokemon on their level 1 trainers.)

also for one more question i guess. would people rather us keep an embedded discord or a cbox? i'm not really wanting to do both since i hate messages for "check out our discord, we're more active there" in the cbox so. is there one option or the other that people would be more partial to?
last edit on Aug 31, 2018 15:04:10 GMT by Kuroya
Army-Crushing Star
pronounsSey/Sem
274written posts
Benetnaschearned bits
offlinecurrently
Benetnasch
Benetnasch Avatar
All my attempts to rp end in failure, so now I'm a solo act.
The questing system looks pretty solid to me. As for solos (which I love that you included), perhaps make them once a week? Two weeks seems so long, esp w/ already low rewards.

As for cbox v discord, I'd actually like to see the cbox used more. I like discord since I'm my phone for most of the day due to work, but my experience with site discords has been mostly hit or miss.
4,245written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar

I'm gonna be honest and admit I'm really hesitant to make solos more viable. There's a lot of reasons I have to be leery of expanding them too much given that I want the crux of the questing system to be people threading together with each other rather than off in their own corners doing their own things without interacting with anyone. At the end of the day, all the solo rewards are going to be obtainable via the shop or side quests too, so really, in a way, they're only meant to get around having to wait on someone to post for people who need a break from that (and even then I'm pretty sure the main quest posting restrictions are going to be that you just have to not double post, so...) and as a way to get a chance to get some free stuff instead of having to buy it or wait until you can get access to it through other questing.

I might adjust the cool down in the future if it turns out that no one is really using them but right now I think I would rather err on the side of restricting them too much rather than not enough.
last edit on Sept 2, 2018 12:39:01 GMT by Kuroya