write a reply

Using male FC for a (trans) female character?

pronounsshe/he/they/the bag
75written posts
sableearned bits
offlinecurrently
sable
sable Avatar
I love myself but I hate the way I am
(   o  v  o   )

I remember I used Simon Blackquill (canonically male) for a female character because I thought his hair had a "unkempt" quality and I ended up really attached to the face. But I don't remember her ever getting a lot of traction, and I don't know whether it's my gut or just being self-conscious -- either way, I wanted to ask: would a FC of a canonically male character used for a female character turn you off, and under what conditions? Tangentially: how tacky is using a long-haired anime boy to rep a female character, scale of 1 to 10.

Primarily, I'm looking at this from an angle of respect. I'm not really concerned because "my girl doesn't have big bob," I'm concerned because I might be misunderstanding or that my intentions might be misunderstood, especially by trans or non-binary people. (this prob outs me, i'll clarify i use 'any'/all pronouns online only to take attention off my gender but i'm cis irl)

I put "trans" in parenthesis in the title because I marked the character down as "trans female" in her app, but I don't know if that idea came about naturally or afterwards with me feeling I had to "justify" a "masculine" design, as in, traditionally masculine body type, identifying female.

Anyway, I didn't put this under Advice because it could turn into a broader discussion, if not just me learning that people already do this, lol
take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
i'm cis, so i can't speak for how trans people would feel about this, but. i have seen folks use "male" fcs for their fem characters (specifically referring to howl for a girl) and i have used fem characters for my guys, if i wanted a prettier vibe visually, so....i think it's okay.

these lines we use to represent our characters are just lines after all. do w/e you want with 'em imo

tl;dr -- i'm personally fine with it. masculine women / feminine men do exist (and even if they didn't. who cares)

last edit on Nov 4, 2020 4:33:44 GMT by cae
pronounshe/him
884written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
Just like in real life, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to look when you're trans.

However, if the FC is confirmed trans and or gender non-conforming in their series, it'd be iffy to say they're cis when you use them for your character. Okay so, May Marigold from RWBY is a trans woman. If I saw someone using May as their character's FC, but the character was a cis male, hooooo buddy, would we be having problems. You know what I mean?

I have seen what you've described before though, with Ciel from Black Butler. And at the time, I thought that was such a cool idea! And it was the same idea, the FC just fit the character better, and there was none of this "oooh look it's a boy FC used for a girl wowie zowie". Instead it was just "this girl is doing her thing beep boop bop". Which, idk, imo, as it should be? But I say that as a trans person who's just trying to vibe through life without everyone making a big ol fuss about determining my gender lol.

tl;dr you're fine, just be cool and respectful about it!

Now serving!
pronounsHe/Him
48written posts
TheMysteriousManearned bits
offlinecurrently
TheMysteriousMan
TheMysteriousMan Avatar
Currently breaking things.
I mean, like the guy above me said, there's no "right" or "wrong" way to look. My personal opinion is that Face claims are just Face claims. It's when a roleplayer picks a drawing or image of someone to use as a physical description of your character, and since it's your character, I think there's no need for you to contemplate who you use. It matters not if your FC character is confirmed man, women, trans man, trans women or non binary person. All that matters is that character looks like how you envision your OC to look. There's no need to feel like you have to justify yourself. 

tl;dr - Your FC is your FC. It doesn't matter who or what your FC is in their respective origin, because your not writing about that character. Your writing about your character. You do you.
last edit on Nov 4, 2020 13:45:04 GMT by TheMysteriousMan
This guy is awesome.
|
|
\|/
v
pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
I feel like it's advisable to use trans FCs where possible, but the sad reality is just that there aren't a lot of trans FCs. The only solutions are to use cis FCs, or just not play trans OCs once the handful of actual trans FCs are taken, real life or otherwise. So unless you just don't use a FC, you're kinda stuck!

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
Rodent King
aliasditz
pronounsMale
1,706written posts
Mouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mouse
Part of the Furniture
Mouse Avatar
where fears and lies melt away.
Do whatever you want tbh. At the end of the day you're just using some anime character to represent your OC on the internet. Who that FC was within there fandom shouldn't/doesn't matter. I think we get a little top caught up in the political correctness of it all. Just have fun, that's what this whole roleplaying thing is all about.
last edit on Nov 15, 2020 10:23:32 GMT by Mouse
pronounsshe/her/your credit card information
40written posts
cherrybeansearned bits
offlinecurrently
cherrybeans
cherrybeans Avatar
you stole my heart and toilet paper
I agree with the rest of peeps here. There is no wrong answer - admittedly, trans people can range pretty much anywhere in 'obviously trans' to 'oh wait, they're trans?'. It just depends on what you'd like to go with.

sable Avatar
I wanted to ask: would a FC of a canonically male character used for a female character turn you off, and under what conditions? Tangentially: how tacky is using a long-haired anime boy to rep a female character, scale of 1 to 10.

- It wouldn't turn me off at all. I don't see why it should turn me off, to be honest. People can have all kinds of appearances, and there are no "best ones", imo. Maybe it's just me, but I'd actually be super happy to see something that breaks the mold, if you want to go with something like that.

- I don't find it tacky at all. So, 1.
last edit on Nov 15, 2020 17:11:39 GMT by cherrybeans
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
If you're going "wait, that's a male?" you're probably safe to use them for a female ... trans or otherwise.
pronounshe/him
884written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
rabbitears Avatar
If you're going "wait, that's a male?" you're probably safe to use them for a female ... trans or otherwise.
that's edging into "trap" territory, and i am begging everyone reading this, from the bottom of my little trans heart, to not do this.

the whole "surprise that's acTuAlLy a girl/boy" will never be funny, will never not be transphobic, and will not be a good look.

if your character is female but looks masculine because of the FC? own it. if your character is male but looks feminine because of the FC? own it. if your character is neither, but looks either or because of the FC? own it. just own up that they're not "traditionally" anything, or just admit outright that they're trans! and that's okay!!

but please please please don't do it as a gimmick or a joke. I am not claiming anyone else (especially not you Em, I'm not saying you will do this, but you made a very good launching point for this subject). Like I said before in my earlier reply, use whatever FC. Make your character cis, or trans, you do you.

But do NOT do it as a "joke" that is transphobic in nature. that's all I really wanted to add.

Now serving!
pronounsshe/he/they/the bag
75written posts
sableearned bits
offlinecurrently
sable
sable Avatar
I love myself but I hate the way I am
cherrybeans Avatar
On the flip side, if they're making a transphobic character not because of those meta reasons...

Not to mini-mod, but I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion, since, as a whole, this is an advice thread about being respectful for meta reasons. (And since this was moved to Advice lol)

I have seen some (not all; not many) trans people tentatively accept the "trap" archetype, or at least define it as separate from "being trans," and could totally see a person labeling themselves as one whether in some act of reclamation or even for negative reasons (self-deprecation, mockery). But that doesn't have much to do with face claims. You could specifically use a character of the archetype as your face but I've seen people use the pink-haired guy from Fate for a cis man, enby, and trans man before on separate occasions which... I wouldn't do, because I think that character's tacky, but it reinforces what a lot of people are saying in this thread, anyway.
pronounsshe/her/your credit card information
40written posts
cherrybeansearned bits
offlinecurrently
cherrybeans
cherrybeans Avatar
you stole my heart and toilet paper
sable Avatar
cherrybeans Avatar
On the flip side, if they're making a transphobic character not because of those meta reasons...
Not to mini-mod, but I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion, since, as a whole, this is an advice thread about being respectful for meta reasons. (And since this was moved to Advice lol)

I'd just like to reply to your comment to my post, but I'm OK with dropping the issue here to not cause more bother.

I just wanted to highlight (as a response to desmondmiles' plead) that I believe that people shouldn't entirely shy away from writing certain characters - because of the pressure of these meta reasons that we're talking about here in this thread.

It was small enough of a tangent on the main subject that I thought didn't merit its own entire thread. However, if you would prefer to not have these kind of things happen on your threads, I'll take it into account for next time.
last edit on Nov 16, 2020 18:55:43 GMT by cherrybeans