aliasfee-fee
pronounsshe/her
29written posts
❝ coffee & teaearned bits
offlinecurrently
❝ coffee & tea
❝ coffee & tea Avatar
Hello fellow people of Pixel Perfect!

I am currently making a slice of life rp with light magic and was wanting to put a mechanical or DND-like spin on it to make it more fun/interesting. I want to do something light that won't be too much for members since this is meant to be a laid-back, whimsical experience --  i don't really want to use dice since I've done that before, though I've thought about "playing cards" that could reveal certain things to characters, or incorporating certain tools that could be purchasable in the store, or even integrating a reputation system, though I'm not particularly sure how to do the last one, though the concept/idea sounds appealing.

Overall, I'm not entirely sure how this would work in a SOL setting, or if it is even possible to have some kind of system in place for something not meant to be story-oriented. I just want to have an extra flair to the site that would keep people from getting bored too quickly, another incentive besides awards.

What have you seen in the past that you've liked? Or, what suggestions do you have that you think could work?
last edit on Oct 4, 2023 15:37:53 GMT by ❝ coffee & tea
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Okay, I have more (actually a lot) to say/suggest but because you mentionmed playing cards, I got very excited but I would have to sleep soon--

Have you ever heard of Storium? Or did this idea come from tabletop games? Because I feel cards in RP systems isn't something I hear from others at all but I have been cooking about it for years in my head.
aliasfee-fee
pronounsshe/her
29written posts
❝ coffee & teaearned bits
offlinecurrently
❝ coffee & tea
❝ coffee & tea Avatar
Okay, I have more (actually a lot) to say/suggest but because you mentionmed playing cards, I got very excited but I would have to sleep soon--

Have you ever heard of Storium? Or did this idea come from tabletop games? Because I feel cards in RP systems isn't something I hear from others at all but I have been cooking about it for years in my head.

I have not! But, looking at it now, this is something <i>similar</i> to what I heard before. My inspiration comes from a combo of farming sim and tabletop, but I really wanted to do something different, and I've never seen anyone use cards as a means of determining an action or creating conflict, so I thought it would be interesting to do -- given that I actually come up with a system for it.

I also would, instead, love to do a reputation system! But I don't know what the system would be used for, though.
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
emotional over wallace event/alt

there are many ways to use cards. it depends on what they'd be used for.

one idea is to have a thread in which there is a minimum value of cards that must be used. let's say, 50 Card Points. players have cards of their choosing, reflecting their character and perhaps the scenario. so let's say:

strength card x1 - 5 pts
weakness card x1 - 5 pts
asset card x1 - 5 pts
conflict card x1 - 10 pts

having to use these cards would be like stringing a narrative together and would make people think on how to play them and include them in a story. i've tried this out with a friend and they said it was very fun! it can be confusing when you're just reading until you're actually playing it.

another idea is an emphasis on scenario cards. as the name implies, these are cards are would be given based on the scenario. scenarios would be the premise of the event, such as "autumn festival," "birthday party," "wolf attack." they can be created by the mods and must be used by the members. the details would be vague enough for them to interpret and weave into the story.

cards imo are very underused in rping. they're a LOT better than stats, and i say this as a fan of stats. it's interactive and combines writing challenges without restricting what you want to write. it's about creativity.

as for reputation, i think i've seen sol sites use it! unfortunately i am not really familiar with sol sites to say how they've incorporated it. but i could throw some ideas for reputation too

(i said i had a lot say and i do but i tried to keep it short haha)