write a reply

Site donations for prizes are they fair?

41written posts
nerdboyearned bits
offlinecurrently
nerdboy
nerdboy Avatar
You know, I've observed a common trend with websites that request donations over the years. They often seek financial support to enhance the site, remove annoying ads, and other improvements. But it's made me ponder whether it's fair to provide rewards to donors, potentially creating a "pay-to-play" dynamic.

Let me share an example with you. I've been part of this site for nearly 13 years, and they've consistently asked for donations. It was all fine initially, but things took a different turn. A few individuals exploited the donation system, gaining an unfair advantage over dedicated long-term members who had invested a considerable amount of time in the site. This turned the community sour and created a toxic atmosphere for some. While they've since scaled back on such practices, the possibility still lingers.

Should a site be requesting donations in the range of $20s, $50s, or even $100s, especially when site skins, which are often the cited reason for donations, are not frequently changed? So, here's the heart of the matter, should donations come with in-character rewards, particularly when it's not an original site but a fan community that uses someone else's story and artwork to attract users, potentially propagating a pay-to-play notion?

I'm essentially grappling with the ethical and practical aspects of offering in-character rewards for donations. It's not just about fairness; it's about preserving the community's essence and principles.

I'd genuinely appreciate hearing your thoughts on this, as it's a topic that can significantly influence the future direction of our cherished community.
last edit on Nov 8, 2023 15:48:53 GMT by nerdboy
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
That sounds like an extreme case. No site should require that much unless it was for servers. Donation to keep a site premium to maintain features like having mature content is fine- theyโ€™re typically not that expensive either. But anything else, like skin, is a definite no-no. The fact that you guys have been paying consistently is insane.

The one time I donated (and a p big amount) was for the purchase of a skin. The admin then banned me and then took the skin and closed the site in a power trip. Which is - off-topic - wildly not as crazy as an admin banning me after working my ass for the site as its most active staff member and regular member for a year and creating bots and its main system AFTER i stepped down gracefully while helping them still sort out mechanics and adjusting bc thatโ€™s how big of a vacuum hole me stepping down did that i had to say it months in advance-

Yeah you guys better just run off with your community. Thereโ€™s literally nothing you guys can do or anyone can do if the keys are behind held by crazy and exploitive people.
last edit on Nov 8, 2023 15:19:58 GMT by BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
41written posts
nerdboyearned bits
offlinecurrently
nerdboy
nerdboy Avatar
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
That sounds like an extreme case. No site should require that much unless it was for servers. Donation to keep a site premium to maintain features like having mature content is fine- theyโ€™re typically not that expensive either. But anything else, like skin, is a definite no-no. The fact that you guys have been paying consistently is insane.

The one time I donated (and a p big amount) was for the purchase of a skin. The admin then banned me and then took the skin and closed the site in a power trip. Which is - off-topic - wildly not as crazy as an admin banning me after working my ass for the site as its most active staff member and regular member for a year and creating bots and its main system AFTER i stepped down gracefully while helping them still sort out mechanics and adjusting bc thatโ€™s how big of a vacuum hole me stepping down did that i had to say it months in advance-

Yeah you guys better just run off with your community. Thereโ€™s literally nothing you guys can do or anyone can do if the keys are behind held by crazy and exploitive people.
Oh I quite agree, these are extreme cases. I can point to two sites in particular that I know do this and both have various rewards for those donations. Many of the listed rewards are for donations above the $20 mark. I just feel some type of way about pay-to-play in general when it comes to RPs. I get site have needs for certain things and I don't think its wrong for owners to ask for donations but a donation is a donation on the grounds there is nothing expected as a reward. I think these site owners are more so on a greed driven mission rather than one to improve their members' quality of life while on the site. I think I could be a lot more understanding if said owner was commissioning artwork for the site but they're literally just pulling whatever they find interesting off Google. I feel like Proboards and other domains in general should have more proactive means to stopping this but I guess its hard to monitor and its not illegal to write fanfiction. Just miffs me that people are using other people's hard work for profit and I doubt they've given any monetary contribution to those artist. 
last edit on Nov 8, 2023 15:50:13 GMT by nerdboy
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I've never encountered a site that takes donations or ever joined one, but I don't see any inherent problem with it. I personally can't afford to ever purchase jcink premium, but I could see the appeal of asking for members to help put money towards getting it. Or, if a forum is self-hosted then that makes a lot more sense to ask for donations for, too.

Like anything, donations don't seem inherently "unfair" to me. Roleplay is a hobby that comes with a high labor cost so asking members to help with any financial costs just makes sense for a shared hobby.

Donating for IC rewards is definitely unfair, though.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
I dislike donations for IC rewards, in situations where the rewards can be obtained through RP or rushed to using real money, and especially when theyโ€™re not obtainable without money. My philosophy is IC rewards should be rewards for roleplaying ICly, and not be pay-to-win. Thereโ€™s been sites I havenโ€™t joined because I realized they rewarded donations with important in-character stuff. Life situation permits me to spend money very rarely on anything other than essentials, so I pay (hah) close attention. Donations for OoC rewards are generally fine in my book, but it is always best to be critical and ensure the money is actually going where staff say itโ€™s going.

In your situation, yeah, I wouldnโ€™t stay there. The advice earlier was good โ€” convince the members of the community who you like writing with to move somewhere else. There will always be other RP sites, and if push comes to shove, putting aside the time to make your own, based on your own ethics and principles, can end up really worth it, as youโ€™ll find like-minded people. A better RP forum is possible.

Catscape Meow!
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
i saw some rp forum do that once and from what i remember it was a pretty pay-to-play type deal. you could level up a character / get popular powers from the show it was based on if you paid x amount of real life cash. it had an active member base so i just tipped my hat with respect and moved on.

however, it's not right to me for a team to try and pool for donations when running costs are free or very low if you decide to pay. esp if it's for in-character benefits. to put it into perspective... unless you're hosting the site yourself, the costs of upkeep with premium service and a custom domain isn't expensive to afford. for example, jcink premium is $9.99/month and it includes a bundle of benefits. proboards seems a bit pricier but it doesn't seem to be much over $20/month. then, a custom domain is typically paid for yearly and most are very cheap (around $10/year).

those expenses are all optional too and not required to run a forum whatsoever. even cosmetic upgrades such as skins or custom scripts are nice but not needed.

i'd be more accepting if the work put into the site went above and beyond what a typical site does. it'd have to be very customized and offer content worth donating such large sums for (ie. lore books, custom artwork, unique and complex codes, etc.). then, i'd say the staff team would be earning the right to do so. but similar to what wraith said, it's good to be critical and know where the money is going.

overall, i'd say y'all should leave while you're ahead of the game if it doesn't sit well with you. they're doing what mobile game companies do but without the expenses of an actual business that has paid employees. not sure if it's illegal either but if the roleplay is based on copyrighted media, that is something to think about too. not that anyone would get into serious trouble but it could get the forum removed / shut down without notice.
pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
I think donations are fine because I do think even basic admin work, paying money for a skin (around 200 or more), building on lore and whatnot is a lot of work. However, donations should always be voluntary and members should never have to feel pressured or obligated to do so. Moreover, there needs to be a lot of transparency in where the money they are donating is going, including receipts.

That being said, accepting donations from members means feeling responsibility towards them- in a way, I can understand a site that doesn't want to take donations because staff might not want to feel like they owe the paying members some kind of in-character rewards or allowing them to influence site decisions.

This is a tricky line for me, but I lean towards absolutely no IC rewards (that aren't just for flavor, like a badge, a discord color, etc.) for the members even if they donate. The second something is accepted for that, it sets a precedence that monetary gain is the equivalent/is more important than effort... I don't know if this is the message that roleplaying sites want to put through to their member base. You nailed it when you said it's about preserving the community's essence and principles-- roleplay has largely been here as a medium for enjoyment without making it capitalistic in their monetary gain. I believe that once real money gets involved in site plot, character growth, etc. things will inevitably turn ugly.
last edit on Nov 9, 2023 6:26:37 GMT by Mizo

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW