aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
274written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Hoarding problematic men for fun and profit
Yesterday my husband asked me if I'd ever gotten closure for an RP character, so I went and tracked down the play aids and synopses I made for my Pokemon trainer who saved the world a literal decade ago. Good times.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,802written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I have been kind of thinking about role-play red flags, and I think one of the biggest ones I have heard of and never had happen to me is the intentional ignoring of triggers. Especially since for some people, triggers are there because they cause severe emotional distress like panic attacks or even deep depressive episodes; not to mention, I myself use these to put a boundary between what I am and am not willing to write. Thus, it wilds me out that people actually don't care about someone's triggers and just ignore them to do what they want anyways. x.x
pronounsshe/her
65written posts
merriearned bits
offlinecurrently
merri
merri Avatar
scaramouche Avatar
Do people still use emojis on forums or am I looking for a nice free set for no reason?

Some places that do texting or some form of communication will have emojis for the messaging or social media-esque types of posts. I think nowadays it depends on what their use would be. I like them! They're so much fun, especially if they sometimes get added to the discord too so you can use them in both places.
last edit on May 3, 2024 0:01:29 GMT by merri
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
176written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
Finally starting to write posts again, I missed it

Recently I had a dream about a reply to a thread that doesnโ€™t exist, but I may make it exist. It also featured video game enemies from a game I have been playing lately and I didnโ€™t even question their appearance until I thought more on it, I just sorta accepted those enemies as part of the siteโ€™s world.

Was feeling sentimental lately about one of my first RP sites I was a member of. It was on Proboards so last I checked itโ€™s actually still around and I can read my old posts...wonโ€™t comment much on those, I was young back then so thereโ€™s no need to be harsh. I did see a lot of my less-developed writing style in those posts back then, so much has changed and so much has stayed. I had uknowningly made a character that had /a lot/ in common with another, and the player had noticed this and private messaged me more or less saying โ€œdo you wanna thread? They have a lot in common and so their dynamic may be interestingโ€. I love how someone saw the similarities as an opportunity, the thread I had with their character was the longest I had there, I must have had a blast with it

Makes me wish I had saved all of my old posts in some way... ah, well
Catscape Meow!
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
lately feeling like maybe i've hit the end of the road with rp as a whole... don't know if it means i should branch out elsewhere, or simply step away, but i don't really want to do either of these things.

aliasResident Dragon
pronounshe/him
22written posts
Yevodearned bits
offlinecurrently
Yevod
Yevod Avatar
Resident Dragon
illidan main Avatar
Wraith Avatar
Interesting how so many discussions Iโ€™ve had about how โ€œliterateโ€ is not a great term to use for RP end up with someone saying โ€œwell, itโ€™s always been like this! And itโ€™s not a problemโ€ when, in the very same discussion, thereโ€™s been people talking about how itโ€™s been a problem for them, or how the term just feels blah overall esp nowadays. โ€œItโ€™s always been like this so why change itโ€ is such a bad justification on so many levels. And, in this case, it has been changing already in many circles anyways, but the term will probably still continue to residually float around in some way, which is fine enough, but I'm so glad so much of the emphasis has moved on in some communities
i think it's a great term but not for the reasons its defenders think it is. i think it's a great filter for who i don't want to rp with.

I feel the same way about talent requirements for original art. It just seems really arbitrary and mean-spirited.
135written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
I wanna write an automata that was abandoned and now wanders the land looking for a role to fulfil.

I feel the same way about talent requirements for original art. It just seems really arbitrary and mean-spirited.

Eh, to some people, aesthetic is so important they might refuse to roleplay with someone whose avatar and stuff aren't up to snuff. I've seen sites that say you can only use "high-quality" fanart too, and no original art whatsoever...so even when you take someone else's work for your avatar, it still needs to look a certain way.

Like "word count requirements", which I think are asinine and borne from a mistaken belief that quantity implies quality, "quality requirements" for the art you use are just good indicators the site's run by people whose mindset don't jive with my worldview.

And that's fine. We don't need to get along with everyone, and sites don't have to attract crowds you as an admin don't want. I don't think that's particularly mean-spirited.
"You've grown soft, your dead friends can attest."
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,802written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
Man, when a character playlist has a vibe, but only 15-30 minutes of songs, it is both awesome and sad. Though it is a reminder that I would like to extend some of these.