733written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
today in current RP life:

"we have arranged a marriage for you"
"gee aunt harper, that sounds like it lacks a lot of consent. i'm going to sleep with her brother and sister-in-law instead."

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
176written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
feels like i've missed forum rp's "peak" sometimes tbh. i joined the community pretty late (2018...2019? i can't exactly remember)
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
Ah, yes, casually making an angel based around the apocalypse who is a pretentious martyr who acts confident, but is lonely and exhausted from that. Gotta love it.
last edit on Feb 12, 2024 1:51:40 GMT by Chibi Magician
aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
635written posts
offlinecurrently
๐š–๐š˜๐š›๐š’ Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.

finally doing right by myself and carefully picking who i am willing to write with/form closer bonds with.

it probably sounds a little bad, but i'm genuinely tired of shit getting weird or people getting obsessive and then exploding later on. being more particular about who and what i'm putting energy into is better for me in the long run, and keeps my interest in writing intact.

shoulda made the decision a while ago, but. we live and we learn the hard way.

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,337written posts
offlinecurrently
send me a pm for free roblox
Part of the Furniture
send me a pm for free roblox Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Thinking about how daigo is going to have a milf shirt that says minerals iโ€™d like to find and his roomate would have to explain him why you shouldnt be too proud of it
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
709written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
๐š–๐š˜๐š›๐š’ Avatar

finally doing right by myself and carefully picking who i am willing to write with/form closer bonds with.

it probably sounds a little bad, but i'm genuinely tired of shit getting weird or people getting obsessive and then exploding later on. being more particular about who and what i'm putting energy into is better for me in the long run, and keeps my interest in writing intact.

shoulda made the decision a while ago, but. we live and we learn the hard way.

reached a similar realization late last year and tbh you have my full support. ppl and relationships are complicated and messy af, so that kinda stuff can be a difficult thing to come to terms with, usually takes a lotta time & a lot of learning, but genuinely saves a lot of longer term grief. proud of you ๐Ÿ’–
last edit on Feb 12, 2024 3:12:26 GMT by CEL

coming soon.
pronounshe/him
733written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
i normally have nothing against oc x canon if it's organic in a group setting, but the minute i look at a want ad for a 1x1 partner and i see a bunch of "play this male canon against my OCs, no I don't play a single canon," I back right tf out of there. it feels like shit but my 1x1 ads say "either we're both canons or we're both ocs unless I know you" for a reason.
last edit on Feb 12, 2024 18:15:28 GMT by illidan main

aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
176written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
there's been attempts before (that I havenโ€™t heard updates on for a long time, but maybe theyโ€™re in good states), and while jcink is pretty tailored to RP because of how John has listened to the RP community over the years, but I really do wish there was a forum software designed with RP in mind first, like how people who do voice RP wish for a game designed for voice RP first etc..

I know we can make up for a lack of features by coding it in, even a rudimentary understanding of javascript can go a long way for so many reasons, but thereโ€™s so many ideas where Iโ€™m just...if only this was built-in/etc, yโ€™know? what we already have works, is far from broken or unmanageable, and can be modified...but a not-guy can dream, yeah...

and I mean, there is something to be said, by someone much smarter than I, about how limitations surrounding forum software have moulded the forum RP community, about its structure and such, and how sometimes this has been a spring-board for someone's interest in coding or design, by working around these limitations or learning ways to live with them
Catscape Meow!
pronounshe/him
733written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
i think the closest you'll get to "forum that can be designed ground-up for RP'ing" is myBB. the things myBB can do that jcink can't is pretty wild. the upshot is that myBB has a MUCH higher cost and skill floor for running a myBB forum. as a result, there's a lot fewer resources for myBB that work with current php. and if you want a nice skin, you're either going to have to code it yourself, or pay someone that works with myBB to code it.

it's kinda ridiculous how much better myBB is as a RP platform than any other option, but the fact that the overhead costs and technical knowledge required to get it working and keep it working is so high, i understand why not everyone uses it. there's less risk that you'll waste hundreds of dollars if you just make a jcink site. the only genres i've seen big enough to sustain the risk are modern supernatural and animal RP.
last edit on Feb 13, 2024 3:07:28 GMT by illidan main

aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
176written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
...I was quite exhausted when I posted that, I had forgotten entirely about MyBB, which is funny since I think I've even mentioned it somewhere on PP before? it is the closest to what I'm talking about, huh
I've used it before, one time when Icyboards still existed, and I've played on sites hosted on MyBB for a while, since I started forum RP with mostly Animal RP

Animal RP is and was something so entirely different in terms of general feel, I do miss it
I'm reminiscing now but way back when, I remember all of the people who would offer hosting services for the Animal RP community. One of my early RP sites even had someone show up and offer to host the site for me, which I declined for various reasons but it was so kind of that person :sob: ...the Animal RP sphere is such a different beast, honestly. I check on some active sites sometimes and feel like I may one day return to it. It's great seeing people I used to write with still active and making sites, and wow, those sites look lovely too!!

But yeah, the overhead costs and the learning curve is intimidating and less accessible, in trade for the customization and freedom. But I'd love to see more anime-manga art or general art or artless humanoid-based sites built on MyBB, as I only really think I know of two? right now. I'm thinking about it now but I don't have the time etc. justifiable for it at the moment 
last edit on Feb 13, 2024 23:54:06 GMT by Wraith
Catscape Meow!