PB or Jcink? written Jan 26, 2024 1:26:46 GMT via mobile
aliasMatt
pronounsHe/Him
26written posts
mattwithaswordearned bits
offlinecurrently
mattwithasword
mattwithasword Avatar
Hey everyone! Seems like a lot of people have different preferences nowadays, and I was shocked to find even some of my good friends won't even consider writing on a forum that is done on one or the other!

So, I ask you all this. Do you prefer Jcink or proboards, and why?
Discord: Mattwithasword#1199
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,327written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
add the regression tag Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Jcink is more rper and support-friendly overall. Besides recent posts, I don't know what PB has up on Jcink for rping. For pixel, I'm happy it's on proboards because I like the recent posts feature. Mobile is also a bit better than Jcink's.

Jcink allows more customization with coding, which is expected bc PB went on a route to be more user-friendly while Jcink is the only forum gearing to rpers. Not because the owner RP's, but because he took into requests of rpers using the host and made the features.

I wouldn't be against joining PB boards though. I have definitely joined a fair share amount of them in the past. Community-aside, skin tends to be the bigger deal-breaker for me. No, I don't care if it's using a plain or heck, even a default skin... But the large, very graphic-intensive ones bother me. They're beautiful but as someone who likes lurking a lot in forums, it's too much information overload for me.

So yeah, I prefer Jcink sheerly for its functionality! Well okay, being able to code in it is also a major thing for me. Not that I even code heavily but at least it doesn't make me cry in confusion.
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
xeno Avatar
if jcink had recent posts like proboards... proboards would never stand a chance i fear ):
Jcink by defauly has an "today's active topics" link that's similar to recent posts ... and I've seen recent posts coded into skins before.

I prefer Jcink just because it's more RP-oriented. PB is more restrictive, and less adaptable in my experience.
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
disclaimer: i haven't used proboards in a long time so my information on it may be dated / incorrect. also, i have a clear preference.

now, i might miss a few things but here are the pros and cons i have:

proboards
pros
- beginner friendly control panel and basic customization for forum creators.
- has a library to easily find and upload plugins/scripts and themes for anyone to use.
- custom domain support, albeit for a monthly fee.

cons
- some of its features are restricted by pay requirements such as the amount of plugins.
- does not offer the ability to include mature content, even with payment.
- html support in posts requires a plugin and learning a new language based in bbcode to implement your templates.

jcink
pros
- all of its features are free to use and customize.
- html is supported on most, if not all pages.
- has a lot of quality of life features baked in such as sub-account switching through a dropdown.
- offers mature content, albeit for a monthly fee.

cons
- plain control panel and non-previewed customization which (based on feedback i have seen people say) can be intimidating for forum creators.
- difficult to find scripts or themes if one doesn't know where to look. the access to this information is scattered and even gated.
- custom domains are fickle and have little support. john doesn't seem to be in any rush to get these working at 100% either.
- some scripts / features that proboards has are just not available.
last edit on Jan 26, 2024 2:28:53 GMT by porsef
aliasxeno
pronounsshe/her
12written posts
xenoearned bits
offlinecurrently
xeno
xeno Avatar
rabbitears Avatar
Jcink by defauly has an "today's active topics" link that's similar to recent posts ... and I've seen recent posts coded into skins before.

I prefer Jcink just because it's more RP-oriented. PB is more restrictive, and less adaptable in my experience.

yea but then you have to actually click on the threads and scroll down to the recent posts. i like how on proboards u can just scroll thru all the new posts. i have yet to see it on a jcink skin tho... but i would like to
pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
Speaking from the perspective of someone that tries to use jc*nk and goes crawling back to pb like they are my toxic ex every time yet fully understands that jc*nk will treat me right (I don't deserve it)

Proboards

> recent posts -- but that feature can now be implemented by jcink thanks to 's lovely coding [here] that is a 1 to 1 of proboards recent posts (viewable hovers, posts neatly lined, etc.)

> Better posting box UI (the writing box is big and the text is significantly clearer & easier to write in)

> Preview (it doesn't always show the code if it's styletags but I like that the screen doesn't reload just for me to view the code)

> Participated button (easy access for the most recent threads which I think is nice)

> clearer/necessary navigation tree

> shows Users logged in over 24 hours without a hard time reset so I can get a good idea of the activity

> User control panel UI is significantly better/clearer/easier to use

> terrible coding - I learnt coding in proboards first and my skills are not transferable in any way

> plugins are entirely reliant on updates - if the maker no longer updates their plugins, you could be screwed

> no R18+ content - TOS will come for you and snap you up, this really does limit roleplay freedom and content depending on your genre and preferences

> You have to change your entire code if they ever decide to implement V6. You have no choice.

> Uncertain future on how the Proboards support are moving forward/if they are at all with their coding/features

Jcink

> Significantly better for coders/you can do so much more

> You don't have to worry about your skin being dismantled into pieces depending on if they want an update

> Support is more responsive to coder/admin needs and communicative

> Terrible control panel. The UI is just really bad. I was overwhelmed and deeply confused.

> User control panel is confusing and hard to navigate

> User posting box has a really small font + small box, it is difficult for me to code/post and I am one of those insane rpers that like to write her posts in the actual onsite posting box (if it disappears it wasn't meant to be). I prefer to write on-site, it just helps more with immersion.

> More diversity in skins (yes, you can do the same things in Proboards but your life will be so much harder)

> More automation available (automated face claims, automated shop purchases, it's so convenient)

> Coding is much easier to transfer from codepen/webmaker etc.

however, at the end of the day, it is about personal preferences. I think the level of vitriol Proboards receive sometimes, while warranted, also ignores a lot of points from the user/rpers side that they might enjoy and wish to see in Jcink.
last edit on Jan 26, 2024 3:36:12 GMT by Mizo

aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
251written posts
Jenesisearned bits
onlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
I started on pb but now prefer jc for a variety of reasons, some of which have been stated, but some of which haven't:

-tagging is so much more convenient on jc because you just @[the display name], no need to remember what username they signed up as
-also easier to change your mind about a character name mid wip instead of being shackled to a username on sign up
-easier to switch between linked accounts
-the feature to switch account poster, or post as any account linked to your parent, saves a lot of hassle on rps that require account-per-character
-webpage maker for a site guidebook is much more convenient than having to flip through a ton of individual threads
-I don't even like [m] threads but I curse and do the violence a lot, I'm sorry
-more customizable with unlimited plugins
-pb preview mode breaks so many codes that it might as well not even be there, and I have to manually switch from preview to code default for every new account I make

The one pb feature I honestly prefer is recent posts/recent threads that isn't default limited to the past 2 days.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,327written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
Mizo Avatar
I am one of those insane rpers that like to write her posts in the actual onsite posting box (if it disappears it wasn't meant to be). I prefer to write on-site, it just helps more with immersion.

nah bro there has to be more like us around. i have only been writing on-site exclusively. the last time i didn't was just a phase to ~ stay focused ~ but being on site is a lot better. i love hitting preview, staring at it and stewing in my head on what's next. that's the feeling of progress for me. in the last few months, i've only lost 2 posts out of the ~200 posts i made so it's not bad. sure it gave me a heart attack but you'll forget about that eventually!
last edit on Jan 26, 2024 7:55:57 GMT by add the regression tag
pronounsfeminine
380written posts
idindinearned bits
offlinecurrently
idindin
idindin Avatar
I logged in and thought I was in trouble ^q^ 

On Jcink's flaws, because everyone knows I'm pro-Jcink --

recent posts -- i have to admit that you'll need some coding knowledge to make this work if you want it pretty, more so than implementing the usual face claim/reserves automation, but it's there if you can, and the biggest plus for Jcink is that you can. thanks to bringing this up on the jcink support forums though, john may or may not have the post rows html implemented for the search results, so all you need is to just ...

"yoursite.jcink.net/index.php?act=Search&q=%%%%&f=&u=&rt=posts"

... for your recent posts when that happens(same method as active topic list). if not john, fizzyelf saw it too, so they might implement a better script maybe? ;D 

posting box -- the font size can actually be increased very simply via css. dunk ur local admin (lovingly) if they made it 12px + consolas. there's also a script that saves your initial draft too, so it's a half-measure(still better than none) against sudden server crashes. (actually, ... we can probably expand on that script...to have multiple 'save files'....even after the initial draft too... (i am just dreaming))

gotta admit the admin panel is a bit daunting, but it's not so bad after you get used to it haha? god knows the amount of googling i did to find out where x is stuffed in which y category, but it's usually just for the initial set up.

the good news of PB is that from now on, they'll no longer break your code with version updates. the bad news with it is that what you see now is what you get, forever. they've stopped developing new features, but it's still the same that everything learned in an effort to improve your PB site/post is not a transferable skill. you'd be busting your head just for a dead platform, and once it's really dead, so are your skills. it's there, but you'll have to... unlearn a lot of things to make it work somewhere else.
i'm horrified by what you have to do to make tabs work on pb tbh, and by the people who started to learn coding via... pb. no wonder they thought coding was hard ;0;

additionally, pb always forces you to go on mobile mode, which for animanga is hell, because it's unreadable with all the style tags going around. coming on PP is usually a hit-or-miss of "hi which interest check can i NOT see today because it's all style codes they won't compile--" no wonder the rlpc stopped using pb..

tl;dr: all the flaws jcink has and all its improvements it needs, you can probably DIY. pb not so much. hated PB because i hated the idea of learning useless things... also i don't want the entire forum accidentally sniped because my character stabbed someone and i got carried away with the reaction :v
last edit on Jan 26, 2024 9:42:34 GMT by idindin
PB or Jcink? written Jan 26, 2024 9:52:53 GMT via mobile
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,327written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
idindin Avatar
Ialso i don't want the entire forum accidentally sniped because my character stabbed someone and i got carried away with the reaction :v
aliasMatt
pronounsHe/Him
26written posts
mattwithaswordearned bits
offlinecurrently
mattwithasword
mattwithasword Avatar
I cannot express how happy I am to see all of this input from the P2 member base. I'm in the works of creating a new forum myself, and while essentially all of my preferences align with what Jcink offers, the admin interface can be a bit daunting. Even while being familiar with JS, HTML, and CSS, piecing together where everything is in the admin can definitely feel a little jarring. PB site creation is definitely easier from what I could see, but Jcink just offers so so much more.
Discord: Mattwithasword#1199
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
mattwithasword Avatar
I cannot express how happy I am to see all of this input from the P2 member base. I'm in the works of creating a new forum myself, and while essentially all of my preferences align with what Jcink offers, the admin interface can be a bit daunting. Even while being familiar with JS, HTML, and CSS, piecing together where everything is in the admin can definitely feel a little jarring. PB site creation is definitely easier from what I could see, but Jcink just offers so so much more.

it's def worth learning and if you ever need any help, there are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to lend a hand. i might not be available all the time but feel free to reach out to me. if you want to add / message me abt it, i'm porsef on discord. :)
PB or Jcink? written Jan 27, 2024 0:20:12 GMT via mobile
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,327written posts
offlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
mattwithasword Avatar

Im also down to help! My discord is tanzaku.✌️
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW