Huntsman Academy Based RWBY AU

446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
I just wanted to float around the idea of a RWBY site that I haven't personally seen following two core concepts which I believe make the fandom worth roleplaying in, camaraderie and progression. This site is getting made, and any questions/critiques/requests for invites when it does open in approximately a month are very much appreciated. Writing posts like this helps get ideas together for implementation, anyways!

Camaraderie is something that I believe to be one of the core components that makes RWBY special. The reliance on teams, and the bonds forged between team members is something that I'd want to encourage very heavily -- and that's one core pillar on how the site would be built.

This influence would first be seen on the scope of the project. This forum would focus on precisely one singular Huntsman Academy and the immediate area. There would be an 'Elsewhere' category for special assignments and missions, but it would not be defined past that except for within the specific thread. The focus would for the foreseeable future be entirely on the journey from admit to full blown Hunter/Huntress.

While I do want to open up more of the world as time goes on, the driving force of the site would be the Academy. Narrowing the scope of the entire site to this extent ensures that the initial hump of gathering members, especially in a fandom that's not very big like RWBY's is less painful because it consolidates all characters onto site into one pool. You made a character -- cool! You can potentially now roleplay with literally everyone else in the site, because they are all affiliated with the school.

I'm a huge advocate of discord for the reason of building up camaraderie OOC as well as IC, because I am a firm believer that the site needs to be a place that members want to spend time in order to keep them around. Each team would have their own channel, and things like classes and missions would be run regularly to heighten immersion and give consistent activity.

Progression is the second pillar that I'd focus on, because I feel like a large part of the appeal of an academy-focused roleplay would be around the feeling of progression. I used the term 'RPG system' before, so I'm going to clarify what I mean by that without specific numbers, because those are much less important than the intent at this juncture.

I want every character to start off weak. I do not want people controlling canon characters much stronger than everyone else. I want the playing field to be level at first, and for new people to come in a year later and not be hopelessly and utterly behind. To do this, an exponential experience system based upon upgrading your character over a time period of months and years. One of my biggest things in site design is future proofing, and creating systems that can stand the test of time. Real life bites everyone eventually, and if this gets off the ground I want the same systems that we built the site with to be able to be used for at least the next three to four years with little adjustments. Maintaining and adjusting an existing system is much easier than creating an entirely new one from scratch mid-way through.

The system would be word count based, with every 100 in character words being equal to 1 experience point. Math was done at a previous site that did this system, and it actually very slightly favors people who post fast and short over people who post slow and long. The math showed very little difference over time, despite people always assuming that one side would have a huge advantage so I'm very comfortable keeping the system. There would be small multipliers for stuff like finishing class threads, finishing group threads, and finishing threads that spawned from IC chat. These multipliers are usually 10% and the class threads boost that up to 20%. This will usually amount to very small as in less than five experience bonuses per thread, but they encourage people to participate in classes and make it feel like more of a community.

Site events will have a 2x multiplier on experience when they run for limited times, and let me explain briefly what I mean by site events, while also noting that the idea is to put the forum about 25 years after the Great War in the Kingdom of Mistral, focusing very heavily on the City of Mistral until the member base grows enough to support the world opening up:

Instead of having things like the CCTS tower and high quality dust and safe roads to travel on as the baseline for the setting, I think it would be a fun thing to allow members to make their mark in the setting by making these things and more happen. New species of Grimm will be encountered, but the first one to fight against those new species will get the credit for giving the information back to the Academy if they choose to. Advances in dust refining will be made and spread to Mistral, but students will help in several key ways to allow them to write their names in the history of the Kingdom at large.

Instead of thanking NPCs for doing these things, you will be thanking characters who put their lives on the line to advance not just themselves, but the entire site. Doing things not just for oneself, but for the betterment of the greater whole is what being a huntsman (or woman!) is all about. Taking these same principles and making a site structure with it is the site that I want to make so that players feel like they have agency and can make a difference -- and then enabling them to do the very same.
446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
Heya Mirai!

Teachers and how to handle them is something I have not completely decided on. The initial plan is to run the Mistral Regional Tournament for a site-opening short event so lots of people have the opportunity to jump in on Haven/City of Mistral at once I unintentionally bought myself some time.

This is one of those things where I will probably honestly just kick to a public discussion board with how people wanted to do it with my suggestions because this is not one of the 'MUST HAVE' things for me personally. My concerns are thus:

1) Event finales. Students will not be able to realistically reach Huntsman-tier abilities for over a year. The power gap would be so wide that if they participated, it would ruin the fun of everyone who wasn't at that level of power IE everyone else because the enemies would either be steamrolled or strong enough to compete with them so instant murder for everyone else.

2) In regards to 1, taking all the spotlight. A separate thread could be made for teachers, sure, but I also don't want the site to turn into 'Rank claim PCs do all the cool stuff with handouts' if that makes sense. That's completely antithetical to what I want to do and the site dynamic I want to create.

3) On every site with teachers being stronger than students, people will always sign up for a teacher slot just to be more powerful than students. Very few of these people will ever run regular classes, and it was a huge recurring problem on my last site.

So, what is the initial plan?

My old site just turned the teachers into NPCs except those grandfathered in. NPCs did not gain any experience and could never progress, and whoever controlled those NPCs got experience credited to their OOC account and could distribute it to their PCs as they wished.

This isn't an idea that I'm really opposed to, and I'm doing that with my own teacher. They act as facilitators to the students and create an environment, but aren't the main stars if that makes sense. To avoid people making teachers just for the 'I wanna be strong' bit, I'm also initially in favor or not even statting out the teachers until it becomes relevant. The gap between a starter student and a Huntsman Tier character is so large that it's effectively impossible for the student to win because Huntsman Tier is supposed to be the level where people start hitting over a year into the roleplay even for the fastest and most active posters. I do not want PCs running around solving massive site-wide problems by virtue of being effective 12-15 months ahead of everyone else in terms of progression. I am hugely and completely opposed to rank claims for this reason.

We could also just make them as PCs, but give them the same starter abilities that students do. I've had this also tried, and honestly all it seemed to do was make people complain about teachers being weak even though nobody in over a year of roleplay ever fought with a teacher aside from predetermined threads where stats didn't matter at all because the student wanted to lose. It was a point of pointless friction and complaining from people who signed up to be stronger than everyone else and found that the mechanics meant that a 300 post student could smash a 15 post teacher. While it isn't ideal and I'd like to avoid repeating the system, that's what most of the complaining came down to because in real terms it's very very rare for a student to ever fight a teacher so the stats were pointless. It introduced a point of pain that made some people very angry that served no purpose.

My initial thought was to just leave slots for types of classes open, or even just let people app their own teacher NPCs alongside what they actually intended to do with their character. I, for example, have base prewrites of six to eight different missions depending on what types of things I port over. I'm not going to ask for that much, that would be too much to ask for someone at the start. But I want to ask for enough to make sure that they have a plan of attack and plan to run classes every X weeks or whatever in Y subject covering ABC so they have enough material to last a bit.

What I want to avoid at all costs is the thing that has happened many times in the past on sites that I've been on where people sign up to be teachers with no lesson plan, no classes in mind, and just take up a slot while never interacting with students until the next activity check rolls around. It's not like my standards would be high for activity, either. One class thread a month is A-OK with me, because it's consistent and as long as students can actively sign up to be part of that class it provides depth to a setting. Five people running one class a month is 5 classes a month that people can sign up for, and that's fantastic!

Until we grow as a site enough to support other factions like criminals or civilians or what have you, the focus will be on building up Haven Academy and its student body. The focus of the site and the spotlight has to be on the students if they are the largest faction with all the core members, and I don't want any method of including faculty to infringe on that especially because the fact of the matter is I'm running the first month-long event largely or even maybe completely solo in terms of DMing. Logistically I can't support faculty events as well as student ones, which would be another way to go about it if there was a lot of interest in making PC faculty. If PC faculty was ever a thing, though, it wouldn't be with ranked claims.
last edit on Jan 9, 2019 18:40:42 GMT by wolfe
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.