Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
Jenesis Avatar
I also draw a distinction between "rp friends" and "friends"

like yes I will have multi hour conversations with you where we collectively sob over our ocs' trauma that I've literally never told anyone else, but if I wouldn't tell you my real name or invite you to my house (and wouldn't expect the same from you), can we really call ourselves friends?

I wouldn't consider 'friends come over to your house' because I hate people in my hovel. It's mine, and if I want to play Darude Sandstorm for 11 hours in the dark, I can. I very much draw the line of writing with people means we're friends. I've had bad experiences, plenty of people have had issues with others, but in the end, you can only manage you. I had multiple people get way too parasocial with me and I had to cut them off. It's been a debate if it's 'really that bad' but then I realize, yes, yes it is. They expect to be more than a face I'm friendly or even super friendly with online and I would care about in passing.

So I guess, if someone told me a month after writing with them that they are my 'friend' and I gave no opening for this, I don't really care what that reasoning is, I probably would be uncomfortable. This is also how people view the world differently through semantics, language, and society. Like in some cultures, coworker friends are vastly different then friends. Some people don't make the distinction. Some people consider coworker friends as close friends, while I would consider them 'misery friends' so to speak, such as we wouldn't be friends outside of work, but if they throw the punch at my boss I will absolutely cover for them.

So I think this is a very unique symptom of the internet really. For me, these boundaries and semantics are a very healthy line in the sand. For others, they have plenty of love to give. I think my main point when I had mentioned it was "not everyone has to have the same barrier of entry regarding friends and you should respect that" and mentioning it as my random thought because it's either that or me talking about how I now have two kittens and I love them but if they keep scaring me in the shower I'm going to yank them into it. Of course the two kittens I have managed to get I named after Law and Order lawyers but they're two of the dumbest cats I've had the pleasure of adopting.
248written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Making friends was easier in kindergarten, cos you'd just ask someone if they wanted to be friends and if they said yes? Then you're friends.

I don't have any friends because no one has passed my threshold of what I consider a close enough relationship to be "friends" in (my) truest sense of the word. I'll still call people my friend because I know it hurts their feelings if I call them a close acquaintance instead.

Words are grenades, it's good to remember to not accidentally pull the pin.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
pronounshe/him
908written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
traveller Avatar
Making friends was easier in kindergarten, cos you'd just ask someone if they wanted to be friends and if they said yes? Then you're friends.

this doesnt further the conversation whatsoever, BUT in 5th grade, i was sat next to this boy in class who asked me if i liked pokemon. i wholeheartedly said yes i did! and he replied great, let's be friends!

last year, i was a groomsmen in his wedding. friendship is eternal, esp when pokemon is involved lol
248written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Desmond Miles Avatar
traveller Avatar

this doesnt further the conversation whatsoever, BUT in 5th grade, i was sat next to this boy in class who asked me if i liked pokemon. i wholeheartedly said yes i did! and he replied great, let's be friends!

last year, i was a groomsmen in his wedding. friendship is eternal, esp when pokemon is involved lol
I had a boy ask if I wanted to be friends, I said no because it was his first day in school and I didn't know him. He relentlessly bullied me for the thirteen years after that.

RIP

EDIT: Should add, I get on well with him these days. 
last edit on Oct 3, 2024 22:39:09 GMT by traveller
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW