phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,365written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
everyone thinks the ideal is getting to imagine a timeskip with your ship but the joke's on you if one of them is already dead

in related news, lok really hecks me up when i remember that sokka canonically dies first and i'm not okay with it

pronounsshe/her
151written posts
shanimalearned bits
offlinecurrently
shanimal
shanimal Avatar
of course i am for peace, of course i am for peace. one that suits me.
pompon Avatar
i wonder if a "site timeskip" could be logistically viable :thinking: like for a fe3h- or fe4-themed site, for example. or even a zombie apocalypse site. it might be easier to just rp two different times with 5 years in between them but it would also be super cool if the site marched toward an inevitable "timeskip" & everybody's characters & the site's setting itself came out the other end fundamentally changed by the events....... #thinkythoughts

i remember trying to do this way back in the day for a warrior cats rp, kind of like the hop to doing the next series. it was a push to help revitalize the site and ultimately didn't work but i think that was from implementation (unfortunately not everyone was on board, i think something like this needs to be majority if not unanimous agreement) as well as other external factors

839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
i can't believe my girlfriend bought the wrong pkmn dlc

NOT LIKE THIS

Edit: she did not buy the wrong dlc. i wasn't pay attention cuz i was too busy looking @ that phat ass w/ cheeks that clip clop clap 
last edit on Jun 18, 2020 2:05:14 GMT by SPIRELE
pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
i wish making tutorials was ... hmm. trendy again?

just in that. i feel like there's a wealth of new strategies people are using to do cool stuff on forums and it feels like. unless you're savvy enough with inspect to figure out how to do it on your own. or you know how to search specifically for your problem. OR you know a coder that you are friends with who knows how to do it, someone you aren't afraid of asking endless coding questions... you're kind of sol?

i was just thinking about it because i got fossa to teach me how to use variables for member groups this morning bc there isn't a tutorial, as far as i can see, for specifically using variables? there's one for member groups for sure. but it's a lot more tedious than variables... and variables is so easy now that i know how to do it, but if fossa did not exist im sure it would have taken me like... much trial and error
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,557written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly
syhrinx Avatar
i wish making tutorials was ... hmm. trendy again?

just in that. i feel like there's a wealth of new strategies people are using to do cool stuff on forums and it feels like. unless you're savvy enough with inspect to figure out how to do it on your own. or you know how to search specifically for your problem. OR you know a coder that you are friends with who knows how to do it, someone you aren't afraid of asking endless coding questions... you're kind of sol?

i was just thinking about it because i got fossa to teach me how to use variables for member groups this morning bc there isn't a tutorial, as far as i can see, for specifically using variables? there's one for member groups for sure. but it's a lot more tedious than variables... and variables is so easy now that i know how to do it, but if fossa did not exist im sure it would have taken me like... much trial and error
genuinely i think part of it has to do with the fact that writing tutorials is a lot of time and effort (that i know that i, personally, invest in other things). additionally, however, resources like w3schools and css-tricks already have really well written out tutorials on a lot of coding things (i reference css-tricks' flexbox page at least 50 times a day).

i absolutely agree with what you're saying in that learning new things is a lot easier when you have physical people to ask who can help guide you (just a couple weeks ago i pestered leap about a code thing that i'd forgotten), but i think everyone who is pursuing coding as a hobby, pastime, etc. can really benefit from utilizing coding resources available outside of the rp community and being unafraid to ask questions when they arise in the code help boards.
pronounsshe/her
309written posts
syhrinxearned bits
offlinecurrently
syhrinx
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
syhrinx Avatar
ulla Avatar
genuinely i think part of it has to do with the fact that writing tutorials is a lot of time and effort (that i know that i, personally, invest in other things). additionally, however, resources like w3schools and css-tricks already have really well written out tutorials on a lot of coding things (i reference css-tricks' flexbox page at least 50 times a day).

i absolutely agree with what you're saying in that learning new things is a lot easier when you have physical people to ask who can help guide you (just a couple weeks ago i pestered leap about a code thing that i'd forgotten), but i think everyone who is pursuing coding as a hobby, pastime, etc. can really benefit from utilizing coding resources available outside of the rp community and being unafraid to ask questions when they arise in the code help boards.

yes, of course! i believe we are on the same page. referencing resources like css-tricks and w3schools and stack overflow and things like that is what i meant when i said "or you know how to search specifically for your problem."

and i agree that they also take a lot of time! nobody is obligated to make them, and nobody should really lean purely on tutorials for their knowledge. i simply wish that making tutorials were more trendy. especially because they can be really helpful in framing techniques as "okay but how can i apply this specifically to my forum/skin/etc," as that is usually the lens that the people who make tutorials on resource sites frame it as anyway.
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
i wish there were more tutorials about forum hosts, whether it be coding (like "how do i make a board do x") or just general usage people might not know

which don't really exist outside of the role play community ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
last edit on Jun 17, 2020 19:49:16 GMT by fossa
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,823written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
I agree that some more tutorials for forum-questions would be a good thing. To be honest, sometimes, there is no outside resource that works in a situation because we literally are breaking something to make it work in a forum context. Like there's something I've been wanting to work out and haven't - but I have no idea how to search for it either. I'm tempted to rewrite some really simple tuts I had way back when for Proboards that still hold true but since v6 is coming I don't know if they'll break, lol.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW