Attack on Titan-inspired site

pronounsShe-Her
99written posts
Elaysaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Elaysa
Elaysa Avatar
I'm actually a cat person
I've head this idea lingering at the back of my head for a while, and only now I thought that it would make a decent project to work on during the summer. The idea itself is rather simple: we take the basic premise of Attack on Titan and transform it into an original site. Attack on Titan, but it's just about some medieval society struggling to survive in a world infested by mindless, human-eating giants. No political drama, no titan shifters.

I always thought the basic premise of AoT would be really fun to roleplay: action-packed scenes, characters going through emotional turmoil because the ongoing struggle for survival has token its heavy toll on them, the sheer mystery of the world they live in, etc. However, AoT-themed roleplays sadly often corner themselves by failing to stray away from the original story of the manga and marching their own way. 

The site itself would mostly go its own way, though there are a couple of plot points from the AoT manga I'd love to include on the actual plot of the site: the fall of the outermost wall is certainly a plot I would love to put up there. Other than that, the site would completely deviate from the story it is inspired by. This will hopefully make the site available to folks who are not familiar with Attack on Titan.

Basic Synopsis
Several centuries ago, monstrous giants seemingly lacking human intelligence have abruptly appeared out of nowhere and consumed most of the entire world's population. A handful of people have managed to run away and build three giant walls to guard themselves and the future generations from the rising threat of the man-eating giants. For hundreds of years, the walls have offered enough protection for the small remnants of humanity. The tiny human world had managed to thrive. However, peace wasn't meant to last forever as the sudden jump in technological progress and a steep growth of population has used the most of the tiny nation's natural resources. The walled world could not support its demanding population anymore.

A new military regiment has been formed, the Scouting Legion, a battalion of elite soldiers tasked to venture outside the walls to find new natural resources and commence humanity's counterattack against the mindless giants. 

Some Notes ⚔
❖ Easy-to-follow combat system. I have yet to put some brain-storming into the combat system, but I'll certainly stay away from any stat system. 

❖ Mostly victorian aesthetic. The technology and the culture of the walled world would mostly accord to the Victorian era around the 1850's. 

Four military regiments practically identical to the ones in Attack on Titan. The Garrison (people in charge of maintaining the walls and making sure no giant passes through), the Military Police (people in charge of ensuring peace and tranquility in the country itself), the Scouting Legion (regiment that ventures out of the walls for the sake of surveying the titan-infested lands, titan research and search for new natural resources), and the Training Corps (regiment in charge of training new recruits for the military). The regiments will most likely be renamed, but their purpose will stay the same. Civilians will also be available to roleplay as.

No titan shifters. The only weapon against the giants is an elaborate contraption called the 3D Maneuver Gear. This device will mostly stay true to AoT, perhaps with some tweaks there and there.

Expeditions outside the walls.

❖ Exploration will be a big part of the site. Finding new locations outside the walls and much more.

❖ Jcink-hosted.

Afterword
I certainly have more ideas for this particular site, but this will do for the basic summary. I'm just vaguely curious if there will be someone interested in this site, since I know that AoT-themed sites in general are not exactly popular. If you have ideas and/or questions, feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading~

last edit on Jun 25, 2019 18:30:11 GMT by Elaysa
13written posts
Serpentariusearned bits
offlinecurrently
Serpentarius
Serpentarius Avatar
A big part of the atmosphere of Attack on Titan is the sense of being overwhelmed, of near-total hopelessness. It can be tricky to capture that in a forum roleplay, since on one hand the players are in complete control of the fates of their characters by default, but on the other hand you can't disrupt that control too much or the players won't be happy and they'll just leave for another site. I think you're on the right track with making it a statless system, since it emphasizes that everyone is ultimately edible. And without stats, the system can be extremely simple and streamlined. The main challenge would be providing the incentive to use the system.

I'm going to outline a very simple model system here in hopes that it gives you ideas. During a scouting expedition, every character rolls a six-sided die. On a 4, 5, or 6, the character completes her part of the mission successfully. On a 2 or 3, the character is maimed. On a 1, the character dies. As long as at least one character completed the mission successfully, the players of the killed characters can decide what the team finds on the mission. This plays into the exploration theme of the site and gives the players input on the site's plot (though of course you'd need to come up with some guidelines to ensure that no one tries to discover something that completely breaks the setting).

You could also maybe add an incentive for people to put their beloved characters in harm's way. Say, give the players points based on the combined postcount of their eaten characters, and allow points to be spent on making "ace" characters who get perks like turning a result of 3 on the dice into a success. But this would add complexity and move the site away from its statless concept, so I'm not sure you want to go with that.

I'm a fan of Attack on Titan and also a fan of simple systems, so I'll be watching this with interest. Let me know if you'd like any more in-depth input.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.