aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,501written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
So we've got a "what are you currently listening to" thread, and that's neat, that's dandy, but we don't have a place where I can properly gush about music, so I'm changing that, cowards.

What sort of music is your favorite to listen to? What's your favorite song? Favorite album? Favorite artist? Favorite genre? Why do you like the sort of music do you like? What do you look for specifically in a song? Any guilty pleasures that don't line up with your usual taste? For a bonus, if you sing or play any instruments, talk about that here! o/
pronounsHe/Him/His
1,094written posts
lightearned bits
offlinecurrently
light
Part of the Furniture
light Avatar

for finally, something wholesome and fun AND A DISCUSSION I CAN GET BEHIND, has appeared. :AngryPepe:

i'm an all around kind of gal. i'll listen to any recommendation.

i can't really pick a fav. but...i'll always have a huge boner for jrock and jpop ( and no i don't mean just the opening and ending of an anime, fuck you :< ) but like legit bands or solo artists, SUCH AS:

- "SHE'S" REALLY GOOD, INTERESTING STYLE!

- MRS. GREEN APPLE ALL TIME FAVORITE, BEEN A FAN OF THEM SINCE THEIR "WANTED, WANTED" ALBUM. FAVORITE SONG OFF THAT ALBUM? ON MY MIND. IT'S JUST SO FUN AND ENERGY FULFILLING.

- BOKU NO LYRIC NO BOYOMI, HE HAS A STRANGE STYLE THAT I LIKE.

- DAICHI MIURA, GUY HAS BOPS, OKAY BITCH? ? ? ?

- QUEEN BEE a.k.a. ziyoou-vachi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their lead singer is not only half black/japanese, but also a trans woman and like they deserve all types of support b/c fuck their music is so good. they're the group who sung "fire" you know the bop ass "party isn't over" shit for dororo. they've got a lot of good shit and i suggest listening to them heavily and watching their music videos! 

- MAMORU MIYANO HE'S A TALENTED MAN.

- BLUE ENCOUNT WAS INTRODUCED TO ME BY A BITCH ASS DOG I CALL AERO. :CATTOBLUSH: I HATE HIM AND I'M LOOKING 2 GIVE HIM AWAY, DM ME FOR PRICE. BRINGS ME NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.

- MEGA SHINNOSUKE, THEY'RE INTERESTING!

- WAGAKKIBAND, IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT WAGAKKIBAND YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FUCKING LIFE. THEY HAVE THIS TRADITIONAL JAPANESE STYLE ABOUT THEM THAT I CAN JUST GO ON AND ON ABOUT, BUT THIS IS THE TYPE OF SHIT MY FAT ASS IS TRYING TO EAT. FUCK A BIG MAC, GIVE ME THIS TYPE OF MUSIC FOR BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER. 

THANKFULLY YOU CAN FIND A LOT OF J-MUSIC ON SPOTIFY SINCE THEY'RE BECOMING MORE FREQUENT AND LENIENT WITH ALLOWING PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF ASIA TO LISTEN LEGALLY. SOMEDAY J-MUSIC WILL BE ACCEPTED LIKE KPOP. :SOB: UNTIL THAT DAY COMES, IMA BE BOPPING BY ME, MYSELF, AND I.

not a fan of idols and all that cutesy though--well, it depends. i'm picky about my cutesy music, TBQH. I FUCK WITH KPOP CUTESY SHIT THOUGH.

KPOP IS FUN! I LIKE KPOP! I'M A HUGE FAN OF EVERGLOW THANKS TO MY BESTIE. TBH, HE GOT ME INTO KPOP. BUT IM NOT AN AVID FAN OR STAN OF ANYTHING. THAT MIGHT CHANGE THOUGH IF EVERGLOW KEEPS UP THE GOOD WORK, I'VE GOT HIGH HOPES FOR THESE GIRLS.

UNLIKE THAT ONE GROUP THAT HAD POTENTIAL, FUCKING BITCH ASS "K.A.R.D".

BUT YEAH, I'M A FAN OF OLD SCHOOL MUSIC TOO. OLD SCHOOL ROCK, R&B, YOU NAME it; ARCTIC MONKEYS, THE SMITHS. OF COURSE I LOVE MYSELF SOME MODERN DAY SHIT more than old school shit so don't go overboard. FEED ME SOME BOPS. I CAN'T EXACTLY DESCRIBE MY TASTE, BUT I'D SAY IT'S VERY...MMMMMMMMMMMM....SOMETHING. like i said, i'm an all around gal.

- sabrina carpenter 

- melanie martinez

- the neighbourhood

- dua lipa

- doja cat

- megan thee stallion, but y'all not ready for her.

- ariana motha gahtdamn grande

- marian hill, because she makes me feel like i'm that bitch when i walk through a door. so if i'm a bitch to you that day, i apologize. i was listening to some marian hill and she told me i can't let the spawns of voldemort speak in my general direction.

i love music threads, hehe. tbh i love music more than life itself. the lord knew not to give me talent b/c if i knew how to sing it'd be over for you bitches. the lord said i needed to be humble in this life b/c my past life i was too much of a bad bitch who needed 2 learn humility. but next life y'all better watch tf out.

p.s. i fuck with jazzy shit too. u can thank cowboy bebop for that though.

frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,501written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
GUSH TIME, baby. Also, real talk to the Cowboy Beboop getting people into jazz, because before I even knew about Bebop, the first jazz song I ever really, REALLY liked was Tank.

My friends tell me I have dad taste in music, and it's sad, but true. :c I listen to mostly 80s rock and metal - mostly the harder stuff - with some few genre exceptions, like the aforementioned jazz, electro swing, and HATSUNE MIK- *cough* I mean, J-pop and SOME J-rock. My life is very Mundane :tm: and Boring :tm:, so most of the excitement I get out of it is just... listening to music - so I value high energy songs, ideally with lots of variation and a healthy, small dose of strangeness (like opera choirs in metal songs, for example, not anything TOO crazy) to keep me upbeat and engaged! I get into music first and foremost for the instrumentation itself, so things that are too reliant on vocals (a lot of rap, for example) just... don't really do it for me. Similarly, lyrics are kind of an icing on the cake rather than a be-all-end-all. I've never liked a song just for its lyrics, and a song with bad lyrics but good music is still just as enjoyable to me as it would be with OKAY lyrics.

That's just kind of a general overview, though, I guess? There are definitely exceptions - like, there's no reason in the at all why I should like Marina and the Diamonds, but here I hecking am - and part of that has to do with, like, association, so if I hear a song first when its paired with a rad as heck video, I might be more inclined to liking it, but sometimes, it's just... MEANT TO BE, I GUESS... WHILE MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS STARE AT ME AND SHAKE THEIR HEADS WHILE I LOOP HIBIKASE FOR THE FIFTEENTH TIME... RIP... I dunno, some favorites and why????

SONG: BELIEVE BY SAVATAGE

I don't actually listen to this song all that much, mostly because I feel like I need to reflect on it for an hour after it's finished playing and everything that plays after just... doesn't sound as good... Admittedly, in isolation, I don't think this song is anything all that fancy - like, it sounds good, yeah, and I love Savatage lyrics to death, so I won't say anything bad on that front - but as the closer to a rock opera rife with "Oh, BIG, painful mood" songs where the protagonist gets his not entirely GOOD, but hopeful ending, sung in such a way that it could as easily be interpreted as sung to the protagonist as the listener, it just has a lot of emotional payoff. Way more than any other song for me, anyway. You could easily make the argument that this song has Christian tones, and you'd probably be right, but I've always viewed it in a more broad sense - that no matter where you go, or how low you stoop, or how horrible you feel, there will always be someone out there who supports you and cares for you, and so long as you can believe in the them that believes in you, things can still turn out okay.

ALBUM: OPERATION: MINDCRIME BY QUEENSRYCHE

Followed up by the rock opera Believe is from, but if you know me and have heard me talk, this answer should be of no surprise to you. Mindcrime is the perfect blend of good story, interesting story-telling technique, and music that's better as a whole than the sum of its parts. Every time I listen to this album, I focus on a different instrument and get blown away all over by how intricate and wonderful all of the parts of the instrumentation is. The mysteries the story leaves you with keeps you thinking about it long after the final words have been spoken, and it's so fun to explore the different possibilities of Mary's death or X's motivations. If you want a good story, Mindcrime's your album. If you want boppin' metal, Mindcrime's your album. If you want BOTH in ONE, you better BELIEVE this sucker's gonna deliver. Hot DANG.

ARTIST: MANOWAR

Sometimes, I kinda doubt this one, since I don't actually listen to as much Manowar as I used to, but then I pop a Manowar song, and I'm like, "Oh yeah, that's why they're the best." I DIDN'T MENTION IT ABOVE, but my number one favorite SOUND in music is triumph, with a heavy dosage of punch-you-in-the-gut energy (perhaps most easily described with the start/ending of this song), and when 35% of your library is about being a biker and 60% of your library is about being a viking and killing for glory and honor, like, HECK yes, these guys' music makes me feel like I could supplex a dragon into submission, and it's so SATISFYING and EMPOWERING. I may be a scrawny little twig, but listening to Manowar makes me feel like the most powerful person alive, and when I listen to music to feel pumped up, they deliver every hecking time.

Songs that used to be my favorite song before being usurped by something else, in tentative order: Distortion Sleep by Soilwork, Carry On by Manowar, Mehr by Rammstein, I Don't Believe In Love by Queensryche (which, like, isn't even top three Mindcrime songs anymore, I just got SUPER into this one for a while before realizing that there was a whole ALBUM of this -)

Albums that are good top-down, no bad songs: Mindcrime, DUH, Streets: A Rock Opera by Savatage, Warriors of the World by Manowar, 1984 by Van Halen, Extreme II (warning about the full album title) by Extreme, Rust in Peace by Megadeth, Dystopia by Megadeth, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden, Somewhere in Time by Iron Maiden, Painkiller by Judas Priest, 39D by Mitchie M, except YOUTUBE doesn't have all the SONGS ANYMORE. I dunno, there are probably more, I'm just straight up forgetting them.

Honorable shout out to Megadeth for taking up 75% of what I listen to these days, thank you for coming to my seminar on why my music taste is trash and why you shouLD LISTEN TO ROCK OPERAS.
last edit on Aug 24, 2019 22:28:14 GMT by pharaoh leap
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

i'll come back with more to add to this later - bc i cannot survive without music and have tons of faves across a lot of different genres with which to gush about - but i did want to say that i've been listening to the indie group hippo campus a whole hell of a lot and they have such a gentle/ambiguous/melancholic but lighthearted vibe to them. they just came out with a new demos album this summer and it was fucking golden. my current faves from them include (but are not limited to)
- warm glow
- elephant boys
- poems
- epitaph
- passenger
favorite music written Aug 25, 2019 4:13:00 GMT via mobile
pronounsshe/her
427written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
I'm a weeb and I am not ashamed to admit most of the songs I like are anime ops and eds and most western music I discover is through amvs lol.

Anything with a pleasing beat and rhythm, I like. From lofi beats to pop.

My favorite album is Daft Punk's Discovery. But going back to the weeb thing I'm also biased because I love the music videos to Discovery, aka also known as Interstella 555.

I'm also currently loving FE3H's sound direction. So radically different from what has been done for the series but I think it is fitting for the game while also giving it a unique flair/identity.

I love both versions of Edge of Dawn. I'm ready for that FE rhythm game, IS.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW