write a reply

Coding Confessions

370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
double post, but i used javascript promises for something other than async/await today. it might be good practice, or not. who knows? not me.
last edit on Aug 29, 2022 3:41:06 GMT by elli
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
the chalk prince
aliaslua
pronounsthey / them
974written posts
citrinitasearned bits
onlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
i really hate having the technical skill to do things but not enough creativity to use them to make anything particularly special or memorable. it's like, why do i have this skill when i can't come up with anything? hnn
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
citrinitas Avatar
i really hate having the technical skill to do things but not enough creativity to use them to make anything particularly special or memorable. it's like, why do i have this skill when i can't come up with anything? hnn
ah. was in the same boat a few months ago and i came to the realization: if you're confident about your technical skills already (not like we're talking about those super cool high end codepen showcases), then really -- all that's left is to just hone the design side of things? in that case --> figma. or adobe idk whichever. even photoshop works. anything to just let you test out and see the designs quick like some factory machine, just so you know what works/what doesn't work quicker. you might actually end up making stuff that makes you question your own technical skills ha ha ha

so! yep.

if they say practice makes perfect then it's all about quantity ig?? coding it all out manually takes up a bunch of time when you could have spent te time making 10 failed products* soo... ya! my answer to the technical x creativity conundrum (๏ᆺ๏υ)

(i think my friend told me this before but im stubborn and dumb and forgetful and it only hit me recently oops)

*towards the magnum opus ya kno

last edit on Aug 30, 2022 18:11:05 GMT by Deleted
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
887written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
i hate talking about coding on sites. it never goes well for me. i wish i knew how to be more approachable about it, because i genuinely love talking about coding with people, but i think i'm actually not very good @ explaining/can come off as unfriendly whenever i talk about it...

its really upsetting too because it just. it always feels like the air turns kinda hostile towards me, and i'm somewhat aware it's partly my fault, but i just. don't know. how to communicate elsewise.... so now i'm just terrified of bringing up the fact that i can code period.
last edit on Sept 7, 2022 2:37:50 GMT by bc
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
if you told me 2 years ago that i'd dabble in coding front end + ux/ui for work, i'd laugh ur head off ha ha but thanks to rp (and a coupla site explosions) that made me touch html,,, yaaa here i am, taking a ux course that i find daunting (because it's a lot of work) and... dreading? cuz

im suspecting every new thing i learn will point a flaw in my current skin that i'm working on ;v; already happened with the introduction week but adshgsf i finished the skin weh it's a lot of work to re-code it wahhh

but ig smtg smtg don't strive for perfection o<<

tldr life works funny and rp of all things gave me a semblance of ~career pathway~ (or i'd be a fresh grad at 30)
last edit on Sept 10, 2022 6:20:36 GMT by Deleted
221written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
bc Avatar
i hate talking about coding on sites. it never goes well for me. i wish i knew how to be more approachable about it, because i genuinely love talking about coding with people, but i think i'm actually not very good @ explaining/can come off as unfriendly whenever i talk about it...

its really upsetting too because it just. it always feels like the air turns kinda hostile towards me, and i'm somewhat aware it's partly my fault, but i just. don't know. how to communicate elsewise.... so now i'm just terrified of bringing up the fact that i can code period.

i *think* i talked to you about css grid before somewhere (why is this the #1 conversation i have with ppl btw... i guess bc 9/10 dentists recommend css grid) and for what it's worth i 100% did not feel like you were unfriendly at all.

coding is just a hard thing to talk about in hobby circles. people have different motivations for coding and they don't always love it, they just want to get it working in any way possible and don't care too much about improvement beyond that (which, unless what they're doing is literally breaking their site, is honestly fine). i think i've mostly resorted to passively sharing articles and seeing which type of people engage, and then talking through that. idk if that works for you, but i hope you continue to share your passion in this thread at least :)
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
idk what you guys have been through, but anyone who doesn't want to hear about CSS Grid or any of CSS Layout is Wrong™ and will receive reeducation promptly. for years, we have Suffered through float layouts! and tables before that. they don't know how good CSS Layout is!
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW