mens rea | a sci-fi psychological crime thriller

pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
SO, THIS IS A LONG SHOT bc i am not blind to the reality that i have eclectic interests . . . but y’know . . .

the game would be about political mind games conducted in the same manner as inception, with a focus on espionage and spying aided by virtual reality.
dream theft, implanting thoughts or cognitions to influence future actions, paranoid fears about reality (or your own fellow agents changing your perception of reality), government intrigue, betrayals, double agents, buy-offs, conspiracies and similar plots. characters can't remember at least the last ten years prior to a political catastrophe dubbed zero-day. outside of memory loss, some could have more averse neurological effects.

in order to orchestrate intelligence operations, agents (either rogue or government-based) act in partnerships where one designs the virtual simulation and the other infiltrates. can include more than two agents, but operations are typically small to avoid compromising sensitive information or the infiltrator’s current status. by association, this creates opportunities to explore plots with anyone your character might be paired with.

i am specifically trying to gauge if anyone would find this interesting? does it seem too complex? what strikes your fancy about this kind of storyline? constructive criticism or brainstorming? i’ve toyed with it for about five years so it’s something i really love, but then: i am a huge super-ass nerd who is captivated by tech stuff. it’d be good to know if it doesn’t have any traction before i put the effort in.

------

genres: sci-fi, political intrigue, psychological thriller, crime thriller, spy fiction, action

influences: paprika, inception, ghost in the shell, black mirror, animatrix/the matrix, eden of the east, p5, code geass, the watchmen

themes: the bourne identity, misinformation, memory loss, government surveillance, thought policing, hacktivism vs. criminal hacking, society, social and criminal justice, personal justice, exploring government or social control via technology

setting: all major cities in the world featuring a sci-fi, heavily technological, and ai-enabled spin similar to black mirror. most threads will be event threads OR there will always be at least one active major mission thread.

technology level: high. smart systems, ai systems, brain/neurological/biosystems interfaces, virtual reality, automated healthcare and government systems, internet of things systems, androids. (note: if you did play an android, they wouldn't be aware that they were an android, and there's a high likelihood that they would be a government or academic experiment. “true” ai is rare, although a hologram virtual assistant with human behavior is not for reference.)

systems: event participation will allow members to unlock redacted information about the events of zero-day, the terrorist UDJAT, the origin of mens rea and the i.a.c.c., and other missing gaps that will encourage them to iterate on their character histories. if allied with a specific country, agents and terrorists can organize plots that impact the politics of that nation (e.g., steal national confidential info, influence political decisions, whistleblowing or sell out agents) as well as put them at odds with other agents. event threads will be dictated by time skips and aim for one to two-month duration.

premise & member groups behind the spoiler!cut:

MENS REA

mens rea

( the parting words of UDJAT, a cyber terrorist operating in israel, egypt,
and iran who disappeared twelve years prior to present day. )

On June 27, ----, a nexus of blockchain networks collapsed in response to a massive system outage originating somewhere between the Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China. This immediate impact, later termed the Zero-Day Threat ("Zero-Day") due to its media connotations, produced over three trillion USD in damages; global markets plummeted as transactions virtually ceased, private information was exposed, and major cities suffered crippling blackouts.

Considered an international tragedy, Zero-Day overwrote a secondary government program codenamed the NEURAL. Serving a critical role in the health care system, the NEURAL network acted as a convenient method to store and retrieve memory or biological data. Termed the first brain-technology interface device of its kind, the NEURAL was introduced in ----. The failure of the NEURAL left nearly seventy percent of the urban global population suffering from significant impairment, neurological disorders, unusual thinking, and memory loss.

Although no formal terrorist group came forward to claim the cyber-attack, conspiratory rumors threaded the darknet regarding the legitimacy of the system failure and its likely ties to incestuous government intelligence deals. In the wake of severe criticism, the U.N. called for a global response to civil unrest and an eruption of organized protests asking for accountability on data privacy, agency, and ownership, as well as compensation in response to Zero-Day.

In turn, the international community convened to fund a developing cyberintelligence agency: the International Agency of Cybersecurity and Cyberintelligence (I.A.C.C.). Tasked with protecting the NEURAL network, the agency contributes to major breakthroughs in tactical espionage through innovations in virtual reality, biometric experimentation, neuroscience and oneirology.

- Nicolai J. Wojciech,
Under the Influence: America’s Hidden History of Psychotropic Drugs, Intelligence, and Cybersecurity

member groups:

THE MENS REA - black hat hackers, or anti-establishment and rogue members of the I.A.C.C. who in-game decide to break away from the agency. called to action after discovering a hidden data file that asserted: "what if the world you remember is a falsity?" have close connections with the I.A.C.C. but are suspicious of the holes in their memories and beholden to greater paranoia. cyber terrorists with very loose sense of unification. have difficulty trusting both UDJAT or the I.A.C.C.; might have more severe effects brought on by the zero-day.

THE I.A.C.C. - white hat hackers, or government contracted operatives and civil servants or diplomats. ethical and generally above-board because of their sense of commitment to their respective nations, but prone to doing things in the name of science and/or because "that was the order." given the closeness of I.A.C.C. operatives, as well as their shared histories, they generally are interested in negotiation and convincing rogue agents to return to the government. highly evidence based. trade huge sums of money to buy back rogue members as well, in at least the millions or greater. loyal to their cause and their own, but nationalistic. usually leadership/superiors who scout agents.

pronounshe / him
94written posts
pomponearned bits
offlinecurrently
pompon
pompon Avatar
yuhhh get into it
this is so cool!! tbh, i’ve always wanted to get into sci-fi (i’ve read a lot of great fanfic with sci-fi twists, sampled some sci-fi flavoured games, & a lot of my favourite authors love sci-fi) but i’ve never accomplished it wholesale. that being said, i think sites based on intense politicking & espionage & chess-like maneuvers imposed on a city-wide scale are Dope As Hell

(note i have never played in a setting like this nor even rly done a dnd session? so take everything below with a grain of salt)

i feel like these types of concepts are really good for dnd sessions, & if you want to bring it to an rp site it will probably be heavily reliant on coordination btwn. member plotlines. (tbh they remind me of when ppl. used to try & organize homestuck-based rp sites.) unless you are a behemoth ready to take on the responsibility of every plotline running (or at least prepared to have a finger on every thread), you’re going to have to rely a lot on your members to develop their own plots & make moves which have site-wide effects (& this might require for them, in turn, to have the information they need to create these plots: about the direction of the plot, what elements are potentially working in the shadows without their characters knowledge, & the potential consequences of certain actions, etc.). basically, either you’re prepared to be the dm or you’re prepared to let everybody be a little something of a dm themselves

i’ve never run anything like this nor have i ever seen anything like this, really, so i’m not sure how you would manage this. i have seen at least one site which operates on a sort of timeline maintenance system wherein members submit threads relevant to the site’s plot, with the admin team keeping this record of plot-important threads updated at all times so members can constantly reference it. & even this seems like a big undertaking on its own!

i also feel like a big appeal of this genre is the “aha! gotcha!” moment where one of the characters reveals they were three steps ahead of the protagonist, a la “in fact you are not in a dream but a dream of a dream, hoho ive tricked you real good!!” which takes a lot of energy — either out of you or out of your members — to do well, & these moments may falter if your members expect to just be taken along for the ride. it would require a memberbase that values planning & the careful development of a story

uhhhhhh i feel like i haven’t really contributed BUT these were my thoughts on the subject & i just wanted to let you know that this is a mega cool concept & that at least one person is interested haha
pronounsshe/her
75written posts
minuetearned bits
offlinecurrently
minuet
minuet Avatar
hey, i just wanted to say this idea sounds really interesting! i loveeee psychological thrillers + playing around w anti-establishment themes and this gives me psycho-pass vibes, it sounds super cool. 

i'm just wondering about how you would go about moderating all of this because like pompon said, there's crazy potential for every minor interaction to affect the site on a large scale. also, i just think there would be a lot of potential for like ... people to try to outwit each other's characters and that can be really draining to moderate/figure out. even if everyone is being reasonable about it, every interaction between characters would have to be managed very carefully to avoid any godmoding. 

also - is there potential to play just regular civilians who aren't part of the IACC or the mens rea? Or to start smaller activist (hacktivist?) groups or just run of the mill conspiracy theorists? i haven't really been on a site that's incorporated an idea as detailed and specific as yours, but what makes this genre interesting is that it doesn't matter which group you belong to or if you even belong to a group, you're never really safe from the government. again idk for sure but it could be limiting to just have 2 membergroups. 

overall, i really like this idea, it's super intriguing :eyes: idk if i helped at all but i'm excited to see where this goes!! 

pronounsshe / they
16written posts
spectrumearned bits
offlinecurrently
spectrum
spectrum Avatar
the edgelord
thanks a ton to you both! this was very helpful! provided a good opportunity to outline in more depth and proved me wrong that this is like a dead-in-the-water thing. (plus! i do not know psycho-pass and ended up reading the summary like, “BUT. WHAT IF. I ALSO ADDED DIABOLICAL EX-CRIMINAL MASTERMINDS . . . TO THE MIX . . .”)

so. yeah, dnd is some of my inspiration but more the style than the format.

i have modded plot-heavy rps in the past, which means i'm not going in blind. the post-by-post player storyline approach was done well on an excellent, lurkable old site called blood red, snow white too. i am also drawing inspiration from them. in all fairness, not everyone will be as active or invested, which is fine in my book. it’s more about the journey than the destination.

anyhow, to answer you both: this would be primarily player driven and closer to everyone being their own dm. i want to give people enough freedom to feel confident taking the reins. i am aiming for a playerbase that, as pompon said, is interested in a proactive role and honestly wants intrigue, in-game politics, and espionage. the world is intentionally and purposefully open to enable creative freedom. as for game storyline knowledge, how can I put this ... while I’ve got a couple of things up my sleeve, i don’t want characters to feel dependent on it; it’s intended to add intrigue and depth to a mysterious, sometimes warped take on a futuristic earth. i’d love to see other people’s interpretations of what this "earth" feels like and, eventually, entwine the story with what people have contributed as the site gels.

i am playing with the idea of a couple mechanics that would substitute RGNs for outcomes, but this wouldn’t be a focus so much as a buffer for players who need some built-in direction. the timeline idea i am into, a+; in lieu of an activity check, i may have players give a short summation of their plots for a game timeline to confirm that they aren't a zombie.

@modding stuff!cut
tbh? i genuinely am interested in seeing characters influence and direct the setting, which toes the line between real and ambiguous. so! if someone joins as a member, then i expect them to practice an honor system where you treat your other players well and make a point of noting what your expectations are, get permission, and generally be good to each other. there will be a group/event plotting channel where people can toss ideas out, chat live on bigger developments and ask for objective random number generation on discord if there's a snag.

but?

if i did have reason to believe they were having difficulty respecting other players, i'd do it the old fashion way, and ask them to leave for a.) breaking an explicit rule and b.) because doing this would make them a poor fit. if the player is struggling to understand that godmodding and powerplay is frowned upon, i am not interested in forcing anyone to handhold them out of politeness. i am picturing a m-rated, intermediate-advanced jcink site with a content warning system and an older demographic, so i am very much of the mind that maturity will be key. (obviously i am a good guy™ so mistakes, miscommunications and misjudgments are totally fine, but when someone is doing this again and again? c'mon, fam.)

my other thought is to build in some nice, cushy bureaucracy around certain in-game mechanics to add balance. for gray areas, like politics, there will be actions which are off the table because the i.a.c.c. wouldn't be decision makers – take military operations for example. i'll adjust the systems and run a beta period too, since i am chill and expect members to have opinions/comments/perspective that i don't have. rp is organic and i like to build around the community and treat the entire game as an evolving dialogue among friends. i’ve got other ideas, but that’s the gist.

@player plotline!groups + member groups!cut

short answer is "yes, you can do these things you've said." the long answer is "yes, you can these things you've said with restrictions." i'd like this main conflict to stay in-focus to avoid overwhelming both myself and players. it subtly gives an in because of member group affiliation for starters, which means if people explore in-group ideologies and trysts and such it's pretty easy to integrate. there is a specific larger reason as to why these two groups are important, too.

as for civilians, i've been thinking on a 3rd group tentatively named "persons of interest.” this includes a.) family members and friends of current/rogue/burned/dead agents, b.) burned agents, c.) high profile political figures with monetary political agendas, d.) high profile corporate figures also with monetary political agendas, and e.) criminal masterminds who have cut a deal with the i.a.c.c. for x reason. since the game takes place worldwide, it might be bizarre to justify a civilian being in these completely rando locations. second, i wanted to maintain a sense that any character can disrupt the storyline if they so choose. persons of interest can serve as targets for extraction, ask the i.a.c.c. for protection, organize missions officially or on the black market, join in on missions as backup or strategists, or accidentally stumble on hidden identities and whatever other ideas folks have.

long story short, it levels the playing field so that civilians can have unique advantages in terms of in-game role. as for how you use that role, i'm all for creativity, but note that this group doesn't have access to the NEURAL/VR infiltration tech. would this get at what you meant, minuet?

last edit on May 9, 2020 18:52:57 GMT by spectrum
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.