Slideshow Banner Customizing Help

11written posts
psuedoearned bits
offlinecurrently
psuedo
psuedo Avatar
Hi to anyone reading through this! So, the gist of this post is, I am trying to figure out how to do more with a slideshow banner. They make sites look so beautiful, but I am having a hard time figuring it out on my own. Don't know if I should just request for something to be made. Honestly, I'd rather be taught how to do it myself to get some new skills. I've got my rough draft concept idea (using paint due to lack of idea on how to code it) for each slide on what I want to do. Again, it's just putting together the coding to get it done. And let me know if this is supposed to go someplace else!!!

I'll describe what I'm trying to do in this first concept idea. The big black box is where I'm trying to code up a welcome box for members and guests to read through for a summary of the site. Below it are two smaller boxes intended for event links, or some other deal. I'm not sure what else they could be for. To the left is where I'm putting the title. And that empty space on the right is going to be covered by the site's banner image (pretty sure putting the background image in there is no problem with the CSS style sheet). How do I do this part?

This second slide is my partial attempt at making a staff listing. The "Administrator", "Global", and "Moderator" sections were coded, but not very good. The small boxes are intended for staff member images to show who's what. And that big box to the right is for a list of links to navigate the site, and a box for updates or a word counter, or something. How do I manage all this, exactly?

And the third slide is where more stress and anxiety come in. These five black boxes are intended to hold the images of member's, or their RP characters. Or, maybe a better way to describe them, "RP leaders". The white boxes next. I'm trying to look for a way to get hover images or text to slide up over each of the image boxes. Motive of this part is to show what kind of leader these individuals are. "Somebody, President of Someplace", or something or other. How???

And so goes my need for coding help. It's definitely a lot to ask for help in, but I really hope someone is willing to show me how to do these things. Let me know if help can be had. ;-;
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,370written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

it sounds like most of the questions that you're having can be solved by brushing up on how to position objects! w3schools has a pretty basic rundown of the position property here.

basically, if you wrap the contents of each slide in a class that you give the relative position, then any other objects inside that class can be easily positioned with reference to the wrapping class when given the absolute position.

there are a lot of different ways you can position things within cells, but i find this to be the easiest when it comes to more complicated/dynamic designs.

flexbox is another property that can be used to position objects that also would be good to familiarize yourself with!

w3schools and css-tricks are both really great resources that i reference a lot when it comes to learning how to do things with html/css and i definitely recommend you utilize them!

hopefully this helps give you a good starting point!
last edit on Jun 11, 2020 14:54:44 GMT by ulla
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.