write a reply

Roleplaying Quirks

pronounsThey / Them
24written posts
Reiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Rei
Rei Avatar
trying to life properly. see what i mean?
Does anybody have some kind of quirky thing they do when roleplaying?

For me, when I use a face claim for one roleplay, I feel like I'm not allowed to use it for another. It's really weird, and when it comes to celebrities I know, there aren't many options. I guess its something about me being to organized or limited. Or I'm just weird.

What about everyone else? What kind of quirks do you have when roleplaying?
Sometimes life hits ya hard D:
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
i don't capitalize anymore unless it's for Emphasis.

i like NEVER bold my character's speech. sorry to everyone who writes with me.

i always put spaces between ( parenthesis ) like so.

my trademark is needlessly tragic backstories you'd find a 13 year old writing.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,496written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i fear you: your silence, your blindness. see what you want to see!
Oh heck, I didn't even consider this, but I also do spaces between parentheticals, plus italics. It's sort of like ( although, I suppose, it is also sort of 'unlike' ) that, only not that pretentious, that's just an dumb example, sdfjlkhjfhfs. I had a friend tell me that they'd read exclusively through all the silver text in my app, because the italics were styled to appear... well, silver, and the parenthesis are where I cram all my purple-est prose. >u>'

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
aliasthat bitch.
pronouns"that bitch" still works tbh (any OK!)
551written posts
selkieearned bits
offlinecurrently
selkie
Part of the Furniture
selkie Avatar
a verb in perfect view.
i also picked up the ( parenthesis ) trait from the rp community and it's so cute that other ppl did the same thing LMAO

i think my general rp quirk is i never take my prose very seriously. i love dropping jokes, shitty little hyperspecific metaphors, curse words, nicknames, stuff like that -- it's hard for me to maintain a serious tone for very long, regardless of the thread's subject matter. i blame it on reading the literal million words of homestuck multiple times during my formative years.

wait my specific rp quirk (and i bet posting this here is gonna ruin threads w/ me for all eternity) is hyper pretentious paragraph -> singular lighthearted sentence. like so:

a scene is set ⁠— a mother arriving home from a late shift; a torn apartment, a missing daughter. a sun rises ⁠— a knock at the door; a daughter approaches, i don’t remember, i don’t remember, i don’t remember. an argument ensues ⁠— a daughter regains consciousness; a mother sobs monster from the corner.

it’s a hell of a day.

i specifically blame this trait on hussie brainworms tbh

another specific rp quirk is i love referring to characters as nicknames while i'm writing to lighten tone. my gorl atlas is v. often referred to as "attie" despite said nickname being the exact same amount of characters and syllables as her given b/c the tonal difference between "atlas does xyz" and "attie does xyz" gives a lot of leeway for emphasis on certain sentences.

o also i focus intensely on word choice & language when writing dialogue for my chars b/c i always want them to sound unique. one of these days i really just need to start writing myself a lil dialogue cheatsheet google doc but not 2day
last edit on Feb 5, 2021 6:54:56 GMT by selkie
weeping omens advertisement

all my proboards templates require the style tags plugin!
take it easy.
aliascae
pronounsshe/her
534written posts
caeearned bits
offlinecurrently
cae
Part of the Furniture
cae Avatar
let's live our lives heroically / let's live our lives with style
...might come back to this after i notice more stuff, but off the top of my head: i tend to offset description between em dashes?

like,

words, words, words — attempt at a metaphor, or whatever — more words, more words, etc. etc. etc.

i also like to end sentences with em dashes to like, show a sudden drop in thought or something...

or just generally butcher my sentence structure like this:

He wants to reject the offer right away —

eventually will, of course, but for now:

"...Do you mind explaining your reasoning?" His face smooths over again. He leans back in his seat, totally relaxed.

last edit on Feb 3, 2021 7:10:51 GMT by cae
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
i do the italics too but only if i'm writing on tumblr ajksdh it's SO pretentious looking but also aestheticTM so idc

i also love just. doing mini lists to emphasis stuff. i try to not b/c im like this probably gets repetitive but also i love it.

so like, for example: "on a list of things tama hates: one, two, but most of all three" or "of all the things expected to go wrong today: one, two, three"
pronounsThey / Them
24written posts
Reiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Rei
Rei Avatar
trying to life properly. see what i mean?
Wow, I've never even considered it, but I don't put spaces between parentheses. But the other weird thing I do is put spaces in between brackets! Like this, usually in a plotter or tracker title:

Empathy Link [ Rei's Tracker ]

That was another quirk i forgot about xD
Sometimes life hits ya hard D:
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,361written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

i definitely do quite a few of the things that have already been shared here - namely the parenthesis one and the only capitalizing for emphasis (though i'll also do it for acronyms that might look weird when not capitalized)

something else that i really am fond of doing though is interjecting parenthesis into sentences that warp/contradict the meaning, or emphasize it to propose this idea of an unreliable (or at least conflicted) narrator. something like these:

the blaziken's voice has raised several degrees in volume, leaning slightly forward with newfound tension in his shoulders with the (anger and) conviction he speaks
lavender hued eyes track (but do not truly see) the young girl as she runs up turns her attention to him.

or i like to use this to bring attention to what would otherwise be a passable detail to emphasize how much my character noticed it:

he was misunderstood just as much as he misunderstood others, and no doubt would have met his tragic (pointless, useless) end very young in his life if not for the agency that put him on ragnarock's doorstep.
the large book currently in the giratina shifter's hands is snapped shut, releasing a small puff of dust from its (once-loved but now) stale pages, and dani's response is swallowed up by a brief coughing fit as a result.

i realize this may be pretentious bullshit haha. i really like using it to intentionally disrupt the flow of prose, but i'm sure that some people find this annoying when writing with me. i simply think that framing in posts can be so influential as to the tone that you communicate to your writing partners for dynamic characterization.
last edit on Feb 3, 2021 17:06:59 GMT by ulla
839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
I tag characters in my post even though they are not in the thread. I use this whenever I reference them whether it be parroting things they've told my character IC, explaining how things have come together, or any other reason they would be referenced.

For the people I've encountered, this gives other players a sense of world building and importance despite not being in the thread. It shows that their character has impact on yours, whether it be negative or positive, small or large. One of the best and often untouched parts of world building is weaving a web of how all the characters that exist in the world interact and their relationships with each other.

I would say try it out if you don't and over time see how it impacts your feeling of importance. I've had nothing but positive feedback about it so far despite everyone feeling weird about it at first.
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
Dunno if you can consider this a quirk or something but—

Whenever I have two characters that I write for who are on the same ‘side’, they often allude to each other’s existence without directly mentioning they know each other.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW