Help with hovers

pronounsShe/Her
50written posts
rileycooperearned bits
offlinecurrently
rileycooper
rileycooper Avatar
I'm trying to teach myself hover coding and for some reason the text isn't hidden? This is what I have.

[div][attr="class","Adopts1"]Is this it? Is this IT? AM I FINALLY FIGURING OUT HOVERS?[/div]

[newclass=.Adopts1]width:200px; height:334px; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/ziH5vmO.png?1);color:black[/newclass]

[newclass=.Adopts1:hover]width:334px;opacity:.5;overflow:auto;-moz-transition:height .8s ease, opacity 1.5s ease, overflow 1s ease .8s;[/newclass]

But when it posts it comes out like this.

[attr="class","Adopts1"]Is this it? Is this IT? AM I FINALLY FIGURING OUT HOVERS?

[newclass=.Adopts1]width:200px; height:334px; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/ziH5vmO.png?1);color:black[/newclass]

[newclass=.Adopts1:hover]width:334px;opacity:.5;overflow:auto;-moz-transition:height .8s ease, opacity 1.5s ease, overflow 1s ease .8s;[/newclass]

How am I supposed to hide the text? It's probably something super simple and I'm just tired but I'm getting frustrated with it so can somebody explain to me what I'm doing wrong? And while I'm at that, how do I keep the text black so it stands out against the opacity of the hover?
last edit on Jun 23, 2021 4:49:54 GMT by rileycooper
all hail Garfield and the Holy Lasagna
pronounsshe/her
403written posts
dijit.exeearned bits
offlinecurrently
dijit.exe
dijit.exe Avatar
no talk me angy
Hey ! There's actually a couple ways to do this. However, I'll show you what my go-to is. Its a bit unethical so please dont tell my coding professor I did this.

So, to hide the text in the hover box, you can yeet this into your :hover box!:

color:transparent

so then your code should looks something like this:

[div][attr="class","Adopts1"]Is this it? Is this IT? AM I FINALLY FIGURING OUT HOVERS?[/div]

[newclass=.Adopts1]width:200px; height:334px; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/ziH5vmO.png?1);color:black;[/newclass]

[newclass=.Adopts1:hover]color:transparent;width:334px;opacity:.5;overflow:auto;-moz-transition:height .8s ease, opacity 1.5s ease, overflow 1s ease .8s;[/newclass]

I'm working off the assumption you wanna hide the text in the after image with the opacity. But if I'm mistaken, it still works out! Just flip flop the commands listed above! hopefully this helps!

Edit: aaaa I didnt see your bottom stuff! In truth, preserving the text opacity while fading the background gets into more advanced coding stuff. However, if you wanna give it a shot, I'd recommend giving pseudo-elements (::before/::after) a read! here is what I usually do:

So instead of yeeting the opacity into the main div (.Adopts1), you can do something like this:

[div][newclass=.Adopts1::before]opacity:1;[/newclass]

[newclass=.Adopts1::after ]opacity:.75;[/newclass]

what this should does is declare the opacity without affecting everything in the box. This doesn't end up working pls forgive me, I'm monkey brain rn bc im trying to skin, and learning the pseudo-elements myself! I'm learning about them here if you're interested.

If this doesn't work out, I'd be happy to help you out! you can find me on discord at dijit#2839
last edit on Jun 23, 2021 6:19:10 GMT by dijit.exe
932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
What you have now is one box whose content is the text and whose background is the hover. Because of that, when you apply your 0.5 opacity to .Adopts1, it applies to everything, text included, hence the graying out.

What you want is two boxes (or layers) overlaid on top of each other:

1) One with the text, which starts with 0% opacity by default and fades in on hover
2) One with the image, which starts with 100% opacity and fades out on hover, below the text

Plus you’ll want another div to contain those two layers, which will also be what you’re hovering over. Like what Dijit said though, there are a couple different approaches, and this is just one. Preview below

[div][attr="class","Adopts-wrapper"]
[div][attr="class","Adopts-image"] [/div]
[div][attr="class","Adopts-text"]your text here[/div]
[/div]

[newclass=.Adopts-wrapper]width:200px; height:334px; color:black; position: relative; overflow: hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=.Adopts-text]opacity: 0; position: relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.Adopts-image]width:334px; height:334px; position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/ziH5vmO.png);[/newclass]

[newclass=.Adopts-wrapper:hover]width: 334px;[/newclass]
[newclass= .Adopts-wrapper:hover .Adopts-text]opacity: 1;[/newclass]
[newclass= .Adopts-wrapper:hover .Adopts-image]opacity:.5;[/newclass]

You’ll notice I also added styling in the form of position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0. The absolute positioning of the image is what allows it to overlap the same space as the text instead of the two boxes jenga-ing on top of each other. The relative positioning around .Adopts-wrapper is to tell the image to respect the size constraints and position of your hover area, otherwise it would be positioned according to the size of your browser. I recommend looking up position css for a more in-depth explanation of how it works.

[attr="class","Adopts-wrapper"]
[attr="class","Adopts-image"]

[attr="class","Adopts-text"]your text here

[newclass=.Adopts-wrapper]width:200px; height:334px; color:black; position: relative; overflow: hidden;[/newclass]
[newclass=.Adopts-text]opacity: 0; position: relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.Adopts-image]width:334px; height:334px; position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/ziH5vmO.png);[/newclass]
[newclass=.Adopts-wrapper:hover]width: 334px;[/newclass]
[newclass= .Adopts-wrapper:hover .Adopts-text]opacity: 1;[/newclass]
[newclass= .Adopts-wrapper:hover .Adopts-image]opacity:.5;[/newclass]

last edit on Jun 24, 2021 2:13:48 GMT by gimmick
all hail Garfield and the Holy Lasagna
pronounsshe/her
403written posts
dijit.exeearned bits
offlinecurrently
dijit.exe
dijit.exe Avatar
no talk me angy
gimmick Avatar

Like what Dijit said though, there are a couple different approaches, and this is just one

thank you for being a queen and clarifying my monkeybrain words
last edit on Jun 23, 2021 6:08:07 GMT by dijit.exe
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,786written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

This thread hasn't had any activity in a month and has been deemed inactive and will be archived. If you wish to reinstate the thread, please PM Neko, otherwise repost your request.