coffee break...
aliasGasker
pronounsany
128written posts
Togaskoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Togasko
Togasko Avatar
Alright. So I am nervous as heck about posting this here. Despite not being a stranger to mod/admin duties, the rp forum community is different and lotta stuff Im not sure about. But out of the countless ideas I've started and never seemed to finish, my newest one I plan to see through to the very end because its a biiiig interest of mine and thought it would be cool for other people to take part in. 

So I made Omagatoki Koukou, a yokai/human rp site based in Kyoto Japan. it took me a long time to get the main points up with the help of my partner who is not remotely familiar with proboards or the forum community and that is fine. They are a big help to me. But there is only so much this person can do. So Im turning to you guys for some experienced help and such for my site. Below are is a small list of things that I'd like looked over and given feedback. And any other feedback or suggestions you might have, please share them because I would like to see Omagatoki thrive someday. So go all out.

Here is the link to my site: omagatoki link

- Does it look good. Does the overall look of the site show what you might be in for?

- For the app and character creation, is it understandable? Easy to follow?

- Thoughts on the whole 'no reserve' for the face claims? I wanted to try something new here, a first come first claim type of thing. (Might change if it doesnt work or if its reccomended that I stick to the old ways)

- The playable species? Does it give you the much needed information to create a character? (please don't point out theres only six species of yokai to play. Plans are to expand on that at a later date! Starting out small frst)

- Anything at all I need to improve on or change to make things easier?
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
Hi ! I'm glad you were able to work up the courage to post here and I hope you find this helpful. If you need any help making skin modifications or want to talk to me about anything else about your site feel free to PM me or contact me on Discord! I'm the Kitten4u listed in Pixel Perfect Staff.

First Impressions
It looks like you're using a premade skin, so I'll focus less on the design and more on the parts of the skin you actually have some control over. The banner image you picked is very nice and the colors you picked from the banner for the skin all work well together. I'm always happy to see people unafraid of using bright colors. They all work fine here in my opinion because it's not like you're ever reading any large blocks of text on that nice bright red.

The name of the forum is a little bit hard to read, but more importantly, it actually took me a good few minutes to find your nav tree. It's near invisible on that image you picked. There's a few ways you might be able to fix this, but the easiest ones would be to find an image that contrasts with the white more strongly (or modify this one), or maybe change the text to black or a different dark color? I can't say for sure because I'd have to see the results myself, but it might work. Right now it's completely illegible to the point that people might have trouble finding it in the first place.

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm really sensitive to moving things while I'm reading, but I find the marquee at the top distracting. If you just had static text I think it'd be fine though. Or if you kept it scrolling but didn't make it fixed at the top so that I could scroll past it.

I think your font choice is mostly okay. It looks great for the name of the site, but it starts getting harder to read as it gets smaller. I find it a little hard to read your board titles, but not so much that I'd suggest changing it, but I find your thread titles and the list of names in your info center pretty difficult to read in that font. I think this kind of font only works for big text because it looks great in thematic in your board title and the category descriptions. Switching it up for the thread titles and everyone's names might be worthwhile. I also find that light blue and yellow (the ones used in KIKUCHI HIMARI's and HIMURA KOUTA's name for example) a little difficult to read because they're a bit low contrast on this skin. I think the rest look good though.

Finding your info topics was nice and easy. I'll do a more in depth look at the character creation process later since you asked for that specifically, but for now I didn't have any trouble finding anything. Those two WIP topics in your essentials forum look a bit weird though, like the site is unfinished. It might be worth moving those to a hidden staff forum or something until you finish them. Though you're in a soft opening, so this may not be important if you're going to have them finished before your full opening.

Info Topics
The templates and color choices all look good to me. The threads are organized well in the info board in case people are like me and actually go to the board rather than clicking through the quick links.

Are the rules supposed to be numbered? Right now they're all numbered 00. If you don't want to number them, I think it's worth getting rid of the 00 because it just looks weird. The sixth rule is worded a bit weirdly. It might be better to say something like 'there's no word count and we don't require post matching' or something like that. This is a personal opinion, but I also think it's weird to say that there's no word count, but you don't allow one liners. To me, no word count means you can post however much you want, and if there's a line people can't cross, then you have a word count. Maybe saying that you expect at least a small paragraph would be better?

Reading through races now. I think the intro is fine, if a little informal compared to how you write the rest of it. In Kitsune, you mention Inari, but don't mention anything about her. It might be worth mentioning that she's the kami of foxes, of fertility, rice, tea and sake, or of agriculture and industry because I'm not sure if people with a casual interest in Japanese mythology would recognize her name. Just to avoid confusion and so people have a better idea of the context of the rest of the paragraph. Kind of a similar thing with Tamamo-no-Mae, though to a lesser extent since this is just an example and not meant to tell as much. Overall, it gave a pretty good idea of what to expect from each group and was actually pretty entertaining to read.

The school rules in the student handbook are also not numbered when it looks like they should be. The use of lowerclass vs upperclass confused me for a moment until I saw the uniform. I thought that referred to rich vs poor for a moment. I think the term you're looking for might be underclass instead of lowerclass? This thread also has some placeholder text you'll want to get rid of before your full opening.

Looking through the supplementary stuff now. In the thread on honorifics, it sounds like this is meant to be one sentence? "If you don't already know from watching a lot of anime or manga that come from Japan. These are generally titles of respect and/or endearment that are used in everyday Japanese culture and etiquette, but it all depends on the delivery, tone, and even emphasis." Or at the very least, the first sentence ends kind of suddenly and abruptly and isn't complete. The rest are wip, so I can't tell you anything about those yet.

Character Creation
Since you asked for it specifically.

Went to take a look through claims first, but your face claim template isn't working for me. It's all text, so I just see the code. I think not allowing reserves is fine. I don't allow reserves on my sites either and it's never been a problem.

In the app, this part of the description of what it is reads awkwardly and like it should all be one sentence again. "From mentioning where they're from in Japan even if not having grown up in Kyoto to their family a little bit. To likes and dislikes. Theres plenty opportinity (this is spelled wrong too btw) for the freedom to make your character as you see fit and this guide explains a little what is expected as well as some examples." If you're afraid of it being too long for one sentence, there's other ways to break it up, but I think you should at least use complete sentences for everything.

There's enough whitespace around where the code is that I think it should be easy to find, but if you want to make extra sure, increasing the font size of the link and/or the contrast would also help. As it stands I don't think people will have trouble even if they're only scanning though.

In your description of pronouns, is that last sentence an example? I think it'd be worth clarifying that with a 'for example' if it is because right now it just reads a bit weird.

For personality, it looks like it should be one sentence and not two. "You can make a listed personality trait of Positive and negative. But you can also elaborate and add detail."

I assume you want people to post in your notification thread when they're done with their character right? It might be worth explicitly stating this because people are surprisingly bad about actually doing it in my experience. It'd help make the final step in the process more clear. Otherwise, I think the process is clear. Expectations are a little fuzzy though. Is listing a few traits enough for personality? How many traits do you need? Are people expected to describe their magical abilities somewhere or only their transformations? How in depth do you want the personality, history, or power descriptions to be? I can't really tell just by looking at the guide you have posted.

Everything else
Just for other commentary I have.

Maybe it's just me, but I always get weirded out when people have way more OOC boards than IC ones. Right now you have 8 OOC boards to your 2 IC ones; 4 times as much. It might be worth adding a couple more IC areas or condensing some of your OOC boards to make that a bit less stark. Maybe an area for the wilderness surrounding the city or something? You don't need a lot, and I don't think you necessarily need to match the 8 OOC boards you have, it just makes your IC section look tiny and unimportant to the OOC areas. This legit might just be me though.

There's some spelling and grammatical errors in some of your board names and descriptions:

The description for your Essentials board reads really weird. I can't tell if you're just trying to be cute in it, but it doesn't really work and just sounds awkward if that's what you're going for. It's probably for the best to just be straight-forward.

The description for your guides boards is a bit awkward sounding. Maybe try something like "Everything in this board is optional reading. It's not required, but it contains further reading about Japanese culture and other topics you may find useful."

In Announcements, the Were in the description should be Where.

The description in your development board should probably be one sentence instead of two.

Classrooms is one word.

There's a few other minor errors that come a lot. I can't tell if it's stylistic or not, but often times you'll leave the apostrophe out of contractions. It's especially common in "There's." If you don't like the apostrophe, it might be worth just spelling out the words, IE "There is" instead. You also tend to write RP as Rp with the lowercase P. RP is an acronym for roleplaying, so traditionally both letters are capitalized.

These errors are pretty minor, so I doubt people will get on your case about them, but cleaning them up a little will help make your forum look a bit nicer and more professional, especially given RP is a written medium.

The current advertisement you have posted doesn't look like it has a working link and it also looks like it uses Proboards BBCode. That will naturally not work on any jcink or other hosts, so having a more plain advertisement is probably for the best. That said, I like the image you picked. It's very cute and describes the forum well. I like your mini-banners for affiliation as well.

---

Phew, that was a bit of a mouthful, but I hope you find it all helpful. I think your forum's off to a good start and most of the things I talked about were pretty small. If you have any questions or would like me to go into detail on anything else just let me know. ^^
coffee break...
aliasGasker
pronounsany
128written posts
Togaskoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Togasko
Togasko Avatar
Thank you so much for taking the time to go through my stuff and sit through all the painful spelling and grammar errors and text that makes no sense. Very embarrassing and I am soo sorry if it grated your nerves. But I apologize also for the premade skin. Theres only so much I can do for it and do it (which is why I had made a skin request for my site too) without angering the person who made the skin. The scrolling text does stop when you hover over it tho. So thats a plus!

And thank you again for looking over as much as you did. It pointed out a lot of things I thought was fine and didn't realize other things were not so great. As for the font text for board titles and the info center. Im not sure how to change that to some better fonts that are easier to read because I am not good with the code within these skins. I'll be making what changes I can make to OK to make it better, thank you again.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
No problem, glad to help. ^^ And don't worry, there weren't too many grammatical errors. I pointed out all the ones I saw, and considering how much text is there, it's really not that much. And like I said before, if you want any help with some small skin modifications, feel free to PM me
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]