aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,126written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
So, this is gonna be difficult to explain but maybe not. I am trying to do something, but I'm not sure if it's even possible on proboards, so before I even try, I am just gonna ask because I do not have the skills lol.

Any proboards skinner out there that can give me a tip or two would be appreciated.

I see it a lot on jcink, where the board layout has straight boards and then side by sides in different categories, or boards that are straight up different than other boards in the layout. HOW DO YOU DO THIS? ALL MY BOARDS LOOK THE SAME!

Can I edit it via category? Via board? How do I do this!? Thanks a ton.

an edit: No, I have not even started trying this. I just want to know if it's possible and how to do it before I even try.
last edit on Aug 10, 2021 6:15:54 GMT by AkiraTsunami

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i've not touched proboards in 5+ years with any serious intent of skinning, so take this with a grain of salt, but.

at bare minimum? it is completely and totally 100% possible to do a layout that has like. side-by-side boards like a table and if the last board doesn't have one to the right, it stretches across the whole thing. i've seen that done before and i don't remember how it was done but it is 100% possible. (i do remember it was a finicky nightmare thing to code back in like idk 2013, 2014, so probably not really the path you want to go down when we've found better ways to do it since then.)

but from what i remember of how proboards does the backend coding for the layouts, there's no reason why the same method jcink uses to do those custom layouts (explained here and here) wouldn't also work for proboards. my big "i might be lying" caveat is that i don't remember if proboards has an equivalent variable for that "forum id #" that makes the whole thing possible but it'd be a lil odd if it didn't so i don't think it's a lie.

but i'd also keep in mind that this only goes for v5, not for v6 (because shiva knows what's happening on v6), so y'know, not sure how easy or hard it'll be to execute the same basic principle after the software update nukes the code banks again.
last edit on Aug 10, 2021 11:19:31 GMT by Kuroya

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,126written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
awesome I will take a look at those guides and see if it works!

And for the side by side board with the one stretched, I've got that already, it's just the way it lays in the grid layout. Proboards is weird like that sometimes, but that's not what I want lol. So Thank you for your kind words and the guide help I will let everyone know what I discover!

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,126written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
It has also come to my attention that I don't know where to put a category/board edit like that. Do I put it in the Home layout or the Board layout...? Proboards why you gotta be like this.

540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
AkiraTsunami Avatar
It has also come to my attention that I don't know where to put a category/board edit like that. Do I put it in the Home layout or the Board layout...? Proboards why you gotta be like this.

Home for the board listings on the home page.
Board for the pages the boards are on and controlling subboards.

It's been a long time since I've done side by sides, but you could probably use flexbox or put the boards into a table.
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,126written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
As much as I don't want to. I give up. I do not know how to do this on proboards. I can get it to function on jcink but for some reason I cannot make it function on proboards. Thanks everyone for helping and if anyone ever figures it out for proboards specifically please let me know. I might even commission it for the trouble. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep working on it.

Edit: I specifically want to edit categories 4,5,6, & 7 to be a side by side grid with two boards side by side and one long on the bottom. 

I have managed to do that side by side layout, but it does it for the whole board rather than just the specific categories. But I want categories 1, 2, 8, & 9 to be long normal boards lol. Oh well. The dream. Maybe I'll move to jcink x.x Less trouble.
last edit on Aug 19, 2021 23:08:04 GMT by AkiraTsunami

internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,786written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

This thread hasn't had any replies since a month ago - feel free to repost if you wish!