the eldritch truth
pronounsHe/Him
1,101written posts
Phantasmearned bits
offlinecurrently
Phantasm
Part of the Furniture
Phantasm Avatar
I swear I used to write far better when I was but a wee little lad. Namely, I haven't read a damn book in years. Makes me feel like I'm struggling to find the right words sometimes, or even worse, all my sentences seem boring and samey.

Anyone have any suggestions for books with really nice prose (that are somewhat modern, I love Dante's Inferno but don't want to be writing in thees and thines)? Or, failing that, ideas for getting better at writing some other way? 

thnx <3
pronounsD A R K
258written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
I wish you the best of luck with improving your writing! Don't stress though because we always seem to be our own worst critics! I don't have any books because I actually...weirdly enough don't like reading. xD;;;; Which is kind of backwards since I love reading people's roleplays and characters. But just not books?!

But I did want to help if I can! I use a plugin called Ginger, it's uses are kind of limited, but it does offer a neat ability where it reads a line and gives you a multitude of ways to write it differently! I'll show you a screenshot of what I mean.

Other tricks I use are never using the same word over so: Osheen felt really annoyed that she felt so frustrated and felt lost.

I'd search up felt synonyms to try and figure out another word to use. Or just structure the sentence differently! What else...oh I read my posts out loud too, that can help you pick up on oddities sometimes. That's the best advice I have!

♥ Good luck!
pronounshe/him
880written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
Maybe try going beyond just books??

Read all sorts of literature from all sorts of genres, read comics, thumb through some manga, maybe read up on some fanficiton.

But that's not all you can do!!

What's your favorite video game? TV show? Movie? Think about them. Their settings, their environments, the way the characters/actors talk and move. What makes them different from each other, story wise? What makes them engaging to you? If you were to describe it on paper, how would you?

Inspiration can come from anywhere, not just other written media. Maybe it's worth a shot looking at those to see how you could work it into your own writing?

Now serving!