Solo admin question

pronounsThey/Them
544written posts
Coyoteearned bits
offlinecurrently
Coyote
Part of the Furniture
Coyote Avatar
Short and sweet dilemma I'm having here lol, I'm doing the solo-admin thing right now, which isn't a big deal because it's a small site, but how do you handle your own apps when you have to sort and approve them?

It feels slimy to approve my own apps but I also might be overthinking it and it's just not a big deal to most people

I'm curious how other people have handled this!

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
in all honesty? if someone's gonna have a problem with a solo admin approving their own apps, they're just not gonna be a good fit for a smaller site in the first place.

i've ran a few small projects before where i was the only one running them, and i've always just approved my own apps (with the placeholder admin account if i could but on my own if that wasn't an option). it's not ideal, of course, but i think it's a better look than not having an approved character (especially for brand new sites since imo who are the incoming members supposed to thread with if there's no approved characters for them to thread with?) or to just sort the characters without doing the app process at all (since imo even if you go back and do the apps later, it just smacks of a "rules for thee but not for me" approach to admining that's a huge red flag).

if you're still worried about it, you can always have one or two core members who are super familiar with the site lore + app standards take a look at your app and okay it before approving (or afterwards, if you don't have anyone at the time, and you just have to take the l and make the edits then). but i really honestly wouldn't sweat it that much. whatever bad juju you might get from approving your own apps is gonna be more than offset by actually being able to interact with the community with your character + get some activity going.
last edit on Mar 31, 2023 20:27:00 GMT by Kuroya

all hail Garfield and the Holy Lasagna
pronounsshe/her
403written posts
dijit.exeearned bits
offlinecurrently
dijit.exe
dijit.exe Avatar
no talk me angy
when doing solo admin work and like- looking at my own apps, I usually have a few rules that I (selfishly) try not to waver from

1. Grading your stuff is inevitable. However, if you look at your app and think "is this something I would approve for someone else", you're fine.
2. If folks seem to have a problem with it, explain your reasoning take the criticism with a grain of salt. Sometimes folks just wanna help out which is fine, but have confidence in your stance on things.
3. If they can't seem to understand that, fuck em (not literally). they're probably just bitching to make noise and cause problems.
4. If that doesn't work, revisit rule 3.

The only other things I'd recommend for solo-admin work is to not overwork yourself. It's a hobby at the end of the day, so stressing about stuff like its a job can cause burnout real quick. I'll usually allocated like- an hour of time to manage some site things so I can spend the rest of the day dicking around.

Hope that helps!
last edit on Apr 5, 2023 18:52:23 GMT by dijit.exe
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
721written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
i see where you're coming from, but at the end of the day- this is your site, and if you're not gonna do it, who else will? if you're gonna have other people grade your apps, you might as well....hire people to help you do other site stuff at that point imo

but the way i see it, like other people have stated, you can have your apps serve as what you want to see in apps from members. especially since i've started using/coding main profile apps, i like to use my own apps as examples for how you can customize the shit i made. i'm insufferable and like to do lots of unnecessary formatting and lyrics, yadda yadda, and i love to see other people do that too- but you may not know that if you're not format-heavy as someone like myself.

if someone gives you a hard time about it, they can leave, frankly. again, it's your site. solo adminning sucks.