The Philosophy of Skinning

aliasChandy
16written posts
chandrewearned bits
offlinecurrently
chandrew
chandrew Avatar
hullo
As someone with no prior background in coding/skinning and currently fiddling/tinkering/wrestling with pre-mades for my own project, I've found a lot of joy in the aesthetic side to it that goes beyond the code, UI, UX and other technicalities. It speaks to an overall approach with conscious decisions being made to capture a certain something... And now I'm really interested to hear more about different people's experiences and ideas! Feel free to share your thought processes, tips, anecdotes, observations, preferences, pet-peeves, individual quirks, self-imposed limitations/standards, and any other general musings on the topic -- not necessarily the technical aspects of skinning sites for RP but more so the philosophy and between-the-lines considerations. Tales of woeful struggles and moments of triumph alike are all welcome!

I'll start:

Just to clarify before I ramble further about something probably inconsequential for most:: nothing here is meant to be a passive-aggressive dig at any site or even criticism of any particular approach! These are just musings mostly in praise of a detail I've come to really appreciate but hadn't really thought about consciously until recently. I'm also interested in others' thoughts and opinions on this so I look forward to any discussion that comes up.

I personally love it when AU fandom site skins don't feature any graphics of characters from canon. For me, the feeling of that disconnect from any existing body of canon characters and, by association, their stories is super neat when writing in an AU context. However, since it's obviously still the same world(building) adapted from the source material, being able to visually communicate the particular impression of an IP without overt reference to any pantheon of posterchildren becomes more reliant on capturing an overall design language that's often really difficult to pin down.

In some cases, implementing certain typefaces or colour schemes is already enough. If an IP has a lot of specific in-universe symbols and character-independent imagery then that can obviously help a lot too. Symbolism more generally and more subtle references might also be useful and I find all these things in combination can make the whole RP experience even more immersive and compelling (assuming everything else unrelated to the AESTHETIC have been done well). Particularly cool examples I can think of is when a site is made to look like an in-universe website which is a very specific concept not applicable to all cases.

Anyways, now that I've been looking under the hood, I've found there's an incredibly difficult balance to maintain. On one hand, I'm trying to commit to preserving that distance and disconnect I mentioned earlier in an almost "self-sufficient" sense of zero reliance of canon characters to represent an IP. At the same time, I also recognise that without any actual expertise/competence in graphical design, communicating a coherent and cohesive association with the source material becomes very difficult. I worry that in chasing one "ideal" or "vision", it becomes easy for a site to feel almost too detached from the given fandom. Naturally, what does/doesn't "work" operates on very much a case-by-case basis and there's obviously absolutely nothing wrong with AU sites that do make use of canon graphics! This is just one teeny tiny isolated non-exclusive interpretation of "fidelity" that I'm trying to observe and explore with absolutely no judgment towards others.

To skin wizards and players alike: what has been your experience of this? Is it even something you've ever really thought about? What have been some interesting methods you've implemented or seen to appropriately convey the vibe/aesthetic of a fandom site? 
last edit on Apr 5, 2023 16:37:49 GMT by chandrew
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
202written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
chandrew Avatar
I personally love it when AU fandom site skins don't feature any graphics of characters from canon. For me, the feeling of that disconnect from any existing body of canon characters and, by association, their stories is super neat when writing in an AU context. However, since it's obviously still the same world(building) adapted from the source material, being able to visually communicate the particular impression of an IP without overt reference to any pantheon of posterchildren becomes more reliant on capturing an overall design language that's often really difficult to pin down.

Sometimes, especially with fandom sites, you need that brand recognition, so that people immediately know what the site is about upon looking at your banner. People associate Dragon Ball with Goku, Yu-Gi-Oh with Yugi, and Chainsaw Man with the guy with a literal chainsaw on his face. But I agree that it can be misleading to use graphics of canon characters on sites that only allow OCs. Some ways around that off the top of my head would be:

* using abstract art of those characters, or art that shows them in silhouette.
* using original/commissioned artwork that evokes the same "feel" as official art.
* for "-mon" sites, using art of the monsters rather than the human characters.
* using a recognizable location instead of a character (ex. using a picture of Hogwarts for an HP roleplay).
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
721written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
so as someone who has some experience with this- for context: warriors skins def tend to  lean towards like. actual photos of cats, which isn't really a bad thing, just isn't my cup of tea. i def prefer drawn images, and if they can be kinda dark and creepy, even better as i am a selfish skinner. if i'm going to go through the effort of making something that's gonna take me like 20+ hours to make, i better like looking at it, y'know?

so i think with warriors, it's a little easier with brand recognition as long as there's a cat somewhere and you say, "warriors" somewhere. but using 's example of like ygo or chainsaw man, it would be a lot more difficult. if anything, i'd probably see if i could find some panorama shots, or city shots, or something that screams "this is the mangaka's artstyle!" and maybe slap an singular canon character in the banner and call it a day, otherwise, you might as well be doing....anything really. 

unfortunately if you're gonna do the au you gotta have the flavor of the au y'know?