Do you tell people irl about rping

aliasJinny
26written posts
jinsyteaearned bits
offlinecurrently
jinsytea
jinsytea Avatar
There is no genie in a lamp here.
Unless prompted, not really? I used to because I wanted everybody I knew to roleplay with me! Haha! But over time, I withdrew and now I really just say that I write collaborations with a friend.

Especially since if you use the the term roleplay, idk why but most people immediately think sexual?

Also when I say I’m working on a website, it sounds more impressive. ;)
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
Depends, usually only if prompted or if I say I’m busy and someone is wondering with what. I say it’s “collaborative writing” to most people by default because plenty people online are not as familiar with the concept of play-by-post RP as it was a few years ago.

And then, after I ramble to someone about my “collaborative writing” enough and they respond positively, I start sprinkling in the actual terms over time, and the ideal end of this is I convince a new friend to join me in storytelling, or I let them in on my spoilery schemes if they’re not participating in the RP.
Catscape Meow!
pronounsThey/Them
13written posts
Warriors_Weaverearned bits
offlinecurrently
Warriors_Weaver
Warriors_Weaver Avatar
It depends. If they're into nerdy stuff and I think they might get it, then yes. Most of my friends have played DnD and are into video games and anime. They get it.

But it's all about feeling people out. When I was younger, in middle school, I made the mistake of telling some "friends" and inviting them to join an RP forum I'd made, and throughout high school I was still being bullied for it.

Now it's less a concern of bullying and more of a, "I don't know how/want to explain this to coworkers or most people in general."