aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
Itโ€™s hard to explain but i actually once told it in front of the class (sophomore i believe) as like uh, i forgot what itโ€™s called. But our english class has this req where we talk in front of the class for 5 mins abt anything we want. OH it was called โ€œfree talkโ€ and i naturally always exceeded 5 mins whenever itโ€™s my turn

But yeah for me it never bothered me. And i guess it made sense for my school back then since i was into drama and writing. But after the net became mainstream, it became known for sex stuff lmao. I still talk abt it though.. and those close to me know i do/did it. Doesnt bother me but it probably wont be my first choice of convo. Even i just told my therapist i wrote novels. Never specified fanfic lmao. Itโ€™s just too troublesome to explain. And theyโ€™ll never survive without some internet culture background

If you did tell others, what was their reactionโ€ฆ
last edit on Nov 3, 2023 9:22:02 GMT by BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
704written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
dependent on the people. my straightforward yet vague "don't ask further questions" description of rp to strangers, or people i'm not close to, or who i know don't share the same quirky hobbies (i.e. if i know you play dnd or have ocs, i'm more likely to mention rp to you) just tends to be "online writing group". if i'm probed about it further (i.e. like when my therapist asked me to elaborate since i did opt to get therapy after one bout of a rough rp stint), i'll just say the whole deal. i think internet and nerd culture these days makes it a lot more, like, accessible and less prone to weird stares tbh.

funnily enough, said stint did lead to me exposing myself as an rp-er to my rl circles (family, close friends, a work friend who eventually became a close friend) for, let's chalk it up to Reasons(TM) โ€” and honestly? worth it. granted, a lot of it was due to the fact i treated rp/my narratives in rp as a labor of love, so it was rlly just,,,, Nice(TM) to show that, hear the opinion, and the response of people i know in my rl. everyone i knew were invested at best (one of my friends straight up asked me if i could link them my home site so they could read ALL the threads i did for several narratives + gave a rlly indepth analysis of the ideas and plots i wrote that i didn't even think of myself but it was super cool to hear the outsider perspective), and at worst, all i got was "damn i can see how much this rlly shows what ur good at and how you incorporated the shit you did for rp into rl and flourished, get that bread".

ofc my experience definitely, like, doesn't feel like it would be the Standard response. but hey, it was good for me. i think a lot of pplโ€”writers, especiallyโ€”deal with the whole "fear of being known" and, like, same. but honestly? sometimes it's just nice to take that leap and ppl can be way cooler than you expect them to be

coming soon.
aliasBremusa
pronounsShe/They/Mew
50written posts
Bremusaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Bremusa
Bremusa Avatar
they would find each other in any universe to get another divorce <3
As much as I would like to, I don't tell people I meet IRL that I RP. I don't think most of the people I meet would really get it, unfortunately... Which sucks because RPing is one of my main hobbies. The only person that I know IRL that is aware I RP had also RPed at one point, so... yeah.
aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
203written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
Honestly, I usually have no issue talking about roleplaying with most of my social circles (sans work). Most of my family and friends already know I play D&D, and thus, even if they aren't as sure with the written form of roleplaying, they still somewhat understand what's going on, just a different medium. (Hell, my mom and dad both tell me to tell my current group hi if I'm over at their house lol). My husband also RPs (though more through MMOs - WoW, FFXIV, GW2, etc) and also knows some of the people in the groups I roleplay with.

As I finish writing this up though, it makes me realize a lot of people I know absolutely don't give a hoot, but also still ask me how my games/roleplay friends are doing from time to time. *insert Owen Wilson wow meme noises here or surprised pikachu face*
aliasnikki/nikz
pronounsshe, they
76written posts
hotaryuearned bits
offlinecurrently
hotaryu
hotaryu Avatar
one day!
I told my therapist about it! He was very nice about the whole thing. He was happy that I found my way back into RP. And he was even happier I was recovering during the time, with RP.

Back when I was a minor and I first got into it, my father took it as a sign that I was eventually going to be a writer. (It later happened organically and unsurprisingly writing has become my bread and my butter.) Before I went to RP, I'd fill whole notebooks with stories - ranging from stories set in WWII, to the Tudor era, or just, ramblings about friendships.

When I got back to working and stabilizing as a person (this is a Complicated Time), Rp helped me ease back into having a Life outside of work, especially since I am notorious for being a workaholic. I don't mention it much but when my family goes by, I just say that I'm writing stories and frankly, they got used to it. (Just not the chatting with strangers abt ships part).

last edit on Nov 3, 2023 14:52:22 GMT by hotaryu

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
725written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
Not really, no. I barely tell people things about my hobbies, I find it not necessarily embarrassing, but I feel awkward about it. Especially when I talk about coding, it feels like Iโ€™m coming off as bragging no matter what I do. So I just donโ€™t talk about it much. The people who do know about my rpโ€™ing donโ€™t even know that much about it, tbh. Like my immediate family has been aware since I started doing it in elementary school; but itโ€™s never something that Iโ€™ve shared with people IRL.

In fact, my dad only asked me this week if he could see some of the things Iโ€™ve coded and I was shocked by how impressed he was. My brother has been telling me for years I should become a professional web designer, but for me, coding and rp are so interwoven that I donโ€™t really see why or how Iโ€™d separate the two. I think for me, itโ€™s really hard to share this creative aspect of myself with people I know IRL bc itโ€™s something thatโ€™s always been very personal for me, and apart of me that wants me to keep it that way.

RP has been been collaborative for me obviously, but I enjoy the semi anonymity of it all. With the notable exception of being platonically married to my main rp partner , I donโ€™t really know a lot of the people I write with on a personal level like that; but we still have a mutual need to be creative and can explore that together without having to forgo a lot of the exhausting social norms that comes with IRL socializing. Itโ€™s a nice change of pace, especially since for me, rp is purely a creative and emotional outlet.

I think a lot of people would understand that on some level, even if they donโ€™t understand rp necessarily, but I love that I have something just for me. Something that I can sit back and think about when Iโ€™ve had a shitty day at work and want to rot in bed; I can just daydream about my ocs Iโ€™ve had since I was 13 years old and know that no one can judge me or give input on whatever whackass storylines I create in my head and just be indulgent. Anyway thanks for coming to my Ted talk lol

aliasBunny
pronounsThey/Them/Their
151written posts
offlinecurrently
โ˜…BUNNYโ˜…
โ˜…BUNNYโ˜… Avatar
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
Itโ€™s hard to explain but i actually once told it in front of the class (sophomore i believe) as like uh, i forgot what itโ€™s called. But our english class has this req where we talk in front of the class for 5 mins abt anything we want. OH it was called โ€œfree talkโ€ and i naturally always exceeded 5 mins whenever itโ€™s my turn

But yeah for me it never bothered me. And i guess it made sense for my school back then since i was into drama and writing. But after the net became mainstream, it became known for sex stuff lmao. I still talk abt it though.. and those close to me know i do/did it. Doesnt bother me but it probably wont be my first choice of convo. Even i just told my therapist i wrote novels. Never specified fanfic lmao. Itโ€™s just too troublesome to explain. And theyโ€™ll never survive without some internet culture background

If you did tell others, what was their reactionโ€ฆ

I actually wrote on this as my Sophomore Project in English and Writing.

It was well received. I believe it was based on my presentation of hte subject matter. Just approach it from an empirical standpoint. There are empirical resources that references Text-Based Roleplaying to a science. I don't recall my complete presentation, but I know it was worth talking about when addressed from a referenced and researched standpoint. 
aliaskat
pronounsshe/her
94written posts
katearned bits
offlinecurrently
kat
kat Avatar
i've told some close friends about it tbh. a few of my friends have actually roleplayed in a serious (literate) capacity, although all but 1 have retired from it by now. a couple others i know used to do chatroom-style roleplay for warrior cats, etc...

i talk about "collaborative writing" a fair bit, i also think that's a dogwhistle that'll help you find other roleplayers. i don't think it's really an embarassing thing (now), but then i don't really write smut or anything LOL. that one i'd probably keep to myself.

hover @kagoya1219 twit
icon 'heart breaker' manhwa
pronounshe/him
881written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
my parents and sibling know, as well as my irl besties know about it! they ask me sometimes how things are going with the site (whichever one that might be). kinda hard to hide it when i was talking to my rp besties over the phone as a teen, and even now. hell i've met a few of them a few times, and one even visited me at home and met my parents! other than that though i don't really like, go out of my way to inform people about it lmao, mainly cause having to preface it with "not the sex kind" is... a hell of an opener

Now serving!
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,787written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
onlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
It is such a big part of my life, it is harder not to in complete honesty. I love writing and I want to be an author. For me, if someone is unwilling to accept that side of me, they don't deserve my time. Hence I would rather mention it sooner than later because writing means the world to me and is a coping mechanism for me. That being said, I don't always introduce it as RP, I usually introduce it in writing, but do occasionally exchange the words.

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play
aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
631written posts
offlinecurrently
๐š–๐š˜๐š›๐š’ Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.

my close friends know about it, because it has been such a big part of my life, bit i don't really mention it to like... casual associates or people who i'm not certain of. it's not a hobby i am embarrassed of or anything; i love writing and making up characters and plots with my partners. but when i mention the word "roleplay", i've noticed that a lot of people immediately jump to the thought of the sexy bedroom time and like...

it can certainly be similar to that at times, but it really isn't usually. i write a lot of boring, mundane shit actually. it's just a nice escape from the real world for me.

it's a bit better now, i think, because more people i know and meet are at least familiar with say... dnd, and can draw similarity there. but generally, i'm pretty shy and don't want to keep having to explain that hey. i'm not mentioning this to casually hint to the public that i'm some kind of kinky bitch in bed (not that there's anything wrong w that but! shit like that doesn't come up for me in regular convo thx). i just like writing and this is what the hobby is called. you know?

anyway. yes, i have told people irl about it. no, i do not do so often at all.

pronounsD A R K
259written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
I used to tell evvveerrrryy one about it when I was younger/teenager/youngish adult years? But now I don't fully tell people??? Well I do just...not in the 'roleplay' way since roleplay to everyone either = 1: You play D&D or 2: You dress up as characters and 'role' play. Which I guess can be the writing style for some?

So instead I say I am on a forum with a community of story writers, and we conjoin our stories together. And that seems to 100% be something easy for someone old or young to get without getting into the complicated details. Hehe, I couldn't ever not tell anyone just because it has been such a strong part of my life since I was weee little and I'm so proud of rp. โ™ฅ
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
244written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
tl;dr: no, I don't.

the long version: I don't tell most people about my nerdy hobbies that they also don't share, because I hate being that one person who makes other people feel they have to make polite conversation about something they don't have any context for and couldn't care less about. Even among my nerdy friends, talking about "your rp character" is a bit like talking about "your D&D character" to a group of people who play D&D - while they might understand the context, at the end of the day, nobody cares about your specific story arc except for your group of friends who "had to be there" to fully appreciate the in-jokes and the emotional bonding you got from going through the highs and lows of the campaign together.

If it somehow comes up in conversation, I'll frame it as a "collaborative writing group online" as some people in this thread have mentioned earlier. Usually that will get an "oh, huh" and no follow-up, which is fine by me. It's probably smoother than having to explain what "forum role-playing" is to people who've never encountered a forum rp.

the exception is my husband, because I tell him everything, he says he appreciates hearing me talk about my creative process, and I can mine him for research (e.g. "hey, you're an engineer, can you tell me if XYZ sci-fi thing is based in reality, or completely made-up bullshit?")
last edit on Nov 6, 2023 6:03:34 GMT by Jenesis