write a reply

Starter Style: Character, Action, or Setting?

118written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Having gone over thread starters for the past few days, I've noticed there are three distinct ways that people will start a thread starter:

CHARACTER
The thread starts with an introduction of the character. They're either thinking about something, remembering something, or wearing their prettiest clothes out.
Example:
If there was one thing Alastor hated, it was TV. What a ludicrous invention! It had been seven years since he was last in Pentagram City, and the considerable hole he'd left had been filled with...podcasts. Ridiculous!

ACTION
I think this is the one I've seen least, the first paragraph will involve something going on that the character is involved in or will become involved in.
Example:
Her dad had taught her to fight dirty, so the first thing Charlie did was kick the boy in the balls. When he let out an ear-piercing scream and dropped to the floor, clutching the family jewels, Charlie couldn't resist stomping on it. For good measure. 
SETTING
Some mention of the weather conditions, or history of the location, or otherwise something located to where we are.
Example:
It was the hottest Sunday recorded in the past sixty years. The sun's glare was like a finely-tuned laser, bringing burning pain to whatever it touched. 

Jonah was sitting on a terrace, hiding beneath a parasol, wolving down his ice cream before it had completely melted. The people around him were either doing the same or staring in envy.

Or fainting. Heatstroke, you know.

So!

Out of sheer curiosity, what's your favourite way to start a starter? Note that I'm specifically referring to the first paragraph or sentence, not necessarily the entirety of the post! Also, it's totally fine to have answers that fall outside the three categories I mention above: when answering the question myself, I find it's usually "a mix of Character and Action" for me. In fact, the Action example already shows some "character" stuff, like "Her dad taught her"...

But I don't usually focus entirely on character, like describing what they're wearing or stuff like that, so probably moreso towards the Action aspect of it. Usually I'll fill in the setting once I've established what's going on, but I often wonder if I should focus a bit more on setting instead, to give people more hooks to tie their characters into the thread. Aha ha.

(This is a judgement-free zone.)
last edit on Apr 15, 2024 19:35:42 GMT by traveller
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
aliasclock
pronounsShe/Her
25written posts
clockearned bits
offlinecurrently
clock
clock Avatar

I enjoy the character approach. I think it really sets the tone of the thread and gives somewhat of a good idea of what other characters/writers would expect from my own; if it's your first time meeting them/reading about them, then going just a little in depth with their thoughts and beliefs can give a better first impression of who my character is initially.
aliasvale
pronounsthey/them, he/him
62written posts
valeearned bits
offlinecurrently
vale
vale Avatar
"Hmm... Are you comfortable talking to me, Itsuki?"
i think my favorite answer is almost always a nice blend of all threeโ€” but i think i really value being able to set the setting, and i think it's an underrated part of writing a starter. i'm a really visual person, and it really helps to set a mood for the rp when i know what characters' surroundings look like! i like having characters interact with the setting as they speak and move, so it's like a fun treat when someone provides me with a detailed location for our thread. obviously Just Setting doesn't make for a compelling starter; i just like having the extra sentence or two there to know more about the circumstances of the thread!
"hello, i'm nazuna nito, a member of ra*bits!"
art credit @ ryoko kui - dungeon meshi official art