pronounshe/him
887written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
my legal name commits the cardinal sins of being super short as to be boring and easily misspelled, because there’s two common, very similar ways to spell it, but the first one is just *so* simple that people always have to go with the second, slightly more decorated one; and that’s not how you spell it!! when i was younger i used to wish i could go by the “prettier looking” variants. now i would just simply. not. personally i get bored of the same names? so eeeh i’m over it now.
34written posts
henryearned bits
offlinecurrently
henry
henry Avatar
Don’t talk to me
Shoutout to those of us from a culture that gives you like 3 names to start with. I think I have like 8 I go by, one of which came from a language class where the teacher assigned us names. When I studied abroad for the first time, the name my teacher gave me was what I used to make my first name seal and sign my legal documents with.

Told my parents, and they said: "Your new name sounds like our word for diarrhea :)" and when I shared my birth name in my mother tongue with study abroad classmates, they said, "...that is a little difficult to say."

I like those stories, btw. I think they're funny. I suppose by the time I'm 40 I'll have like 10 names.

Rather than becoming ambivalent towards names in general as a result, I've grown to love them all.
last edit on Aug 25, 2024 15:02:59 GMT by henry
aliasBlue Totoro
2written posts
offlinecurrently
I'm not going to disclose my name, but here's the story I guess.

It's fine. I used to hate it. Originally, I was going to be Jack Sebastien (middle name chosen by brother) or Summer Whitney (middle name chosen by sister). They couldn't figure out my gender while in the womb, and even incorrectly announced me immediately after birth before correcting themselves. So, someone recommended my name to my mom before I was born, and it worked as it was a gender neutral name at the time (still is) and my mom loved the meaning. Whatever my middle name would be would wait till I was born as my siblings got to choose depending on my sex. If I ever get my last name changed for whatever reason like marriage, I'll probably combine both middle names to honor both siblings. So like "[F] Sebastien-Whitney [L]."
last edit on Aug 25, 2024 23:11:48 GMT by Your Neighbor Totoro
pronounsthey/them
197written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar
no because kids used to be really racist about it. it’s supposed to be gender neutral in my language but it’s gendered sounding in english which i also don’t like. i used to change internet names every other site because names are things that can be used to damage you. yes i am very normal why do you ask.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
I think my deadname is... pretty? Nothing really spectacular, or what I would have chosen for myself if I was going to give myself something feminine, but nice enough sounding. It just had to go, because it's not gender neutral by any stretch of the imagination. Now if only my family would get on board with the 'gotta go' idea -

I don't imagine we're talking preferred names (since I'd assume you'd like a name you chose for yourself, otherwise you wouldn't have... y'know... chosen it), but I have been looking for an excuse to share this particular anecdote - namely that when I picked out 'Finnley/Finn', I vaguely remembered it as having come from a character, and it wasn't for several months that I realized I was thinking of 's OC. So, uh... thank you the help you didn't know you were giving! It's a great name. ;u; <3
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW