forum accessibility

3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
There's three big things for me.

The first is the obvious stuff with text. If it's too small, low contrast, or the line height is too close I'm going to have trouble reading it. My eyesight is garbage so anything below about 12px is legit hard to read. I can deal with 11. You go to 10 and I'm going to start getting annoyed. Anything smaller than that and I can't read it at all. Line height should be ~120% or more. Whitespace is good guys.

The second is what I call careless responsive design. I'm glad that people are considering other monitors more, but the percentage width forums that I see are basically unusable on my screen. My monitor is basically a small TV, so it's super big and super wide. This means that if the forum is like 90% of my screen width I can sometimes fit entire paragraphs on one line, even if the font is a reasonable side. It's actually REALLY REALLY hard to read things if there's more than ~90 characters on one line. It's okay, people with big monitors are used to a bit of extra whitespace to keep things functional, so don't be afraid to abuse that max-width property.

The third and probably the most egregious with current trends, is animated anything. Doesn't matter if it's a gif image in the header or by the cbox advertising an event, an animated avatar, or even that stupid falling snow effect, if there's something moving on the page when I'm trying to read it's going to drive me absolutely insane. If it's bad enough sometimes it can even make me outright motion sick. That's particularly common in gifs with short loops that don't loop seamlessly. As much as I'd like to stop using my adblock on forums to support the hosts, I can't because too many people use gifs and I need to get them off my screen and this is the only way I really have to do it. Note that this only applies to animations I can't control. If I hover over something and it animates it's fine because I'm making that happen.
352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
im pretty open and flexible with a lot of forums and their accessibility. I can read all font size, even tiny ones. Im fine with hover infos, if well made. Im seriously fine with anything as long as I see that the site is harmoniously made. I never quitted a site just because of /accessibility/ reasons, tbh. I'd really not give much input if I just base on my actual opinion, instead, i'd give a word of advice for anyone considering accessibility in their layout. This thread is somehow for skinners anyways x))

font sizes are subjective. I would suggest a skinner to find font-size that they can read themselves as the first person that you will cater is yourself- assuming you're doing it for self-satisfaction not for business. By establishing your site, you most likely want to attract like-minded people. It's just statistically impossible that you're the only one who can read that kind of font-size/style. Font-choices and how they use it establishes a skinner's style so instead of fitting in with other's standards,
try trusting yourself and ur choices more. Do not risk breaking your muse.

a comfortable and unified layout will give you TONS of accessibility. Layout with consideration of directions. Everyone reads from left-right/top-bottom so place important things on where user's eyes first lay on. That is why an L-shape layout is incredibly popular back in the days and even today. A fixed topbar will focus your eyes on userpanels and the sidebar focus your eyes on what the maker wanted to highlight (if they want to highlight community, they add in cbox on sidebar, if they wanted focus on site lores having them on sidebar can immediately hook ur viewers eyes). The all-centered layout works too as they also create balance that will focus your eyes on the center.

visual cues will help you if some of your important informations aren't on desirable placement. When I said im fine with hovered information if "well-made", I usually mean that these hovers are subtly obvious and will prompt the user's curiousity. Play with animations, play wih colors. These two will help the user to focus their eyes on the aspects you wanted to highlight. But obviously, use these techniques with moderation.

generally a good accessibility is directing ur viewers to what you wanted them to see. It's a really hard thing to master and would require a LOT of experiment and observations. But generally, play with your imagination. I'd suggest considering what is accessible for you first before anyone else. Ask yourself first? is this good for me? Because chances are, you'll attract like-minded people with your site anyways, no matter what. So if you feel /lazy/ yourself and want a /lazy/ community, then you'll obviously need a lot of considerations like scroll to top, banners that arent too big, smaller forums, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that there are always people who are willing and are quick to adapt.
last edit on Aug 16, 2018 17:44:26 GMT by von
aliasRelu
pronounsshe/her
154written posts
alcoveearned bits
offlinecurrently
alcove
alcove Avatar
ask not for whom the bell tolls
If a forum doesn't have the nav tree clearly anywhere then that's a deal breaker. i need a nav tree

Also if the navigation is fixed to the top of the window, but it's massive i.e. it's height more than 150px, then I can't deal. my screen is small enough as it is.

Also forums that are wider than 1200px - even wider than 1000px is already difficult. If I see a horizontal scrollbar at 100x magnification, then it's not really a good sign.
214written posts
✦ MADearned bits
offlinecurrently
✦ MAD
✦ MAD Avatar
[nospaces]

Color and font sizes are a big deal for me. Having an easy application process and accessible info/links is also super important in my eyes. It's the users first experience and introduction to your site so it should be a nice, easy and friendly one. First impressions and all.
[break][break]
Responsive designs are my mega turn ons. Give me percentages and resizable forums and text depending on window size anytime.

last edit on Aug 26, 2018 6:45:45 GMT by ✦ MAD
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW