phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
ninelie Avatar
When someone's powers/abilities section is longer than a CVS receipt—

personally, i'd rather see a powers section that's too detailed than not detailed enough

there's some sites where just going with bullet points works fine (fs is one of them, thank shiva, my soul needs the rest) and it's all good. but. i think there's some genres (superheroes, panfandoms, open-lore fantasy) where you kind of have to have that detail, just because of the scale + nuance you need to telegraph (since like imo "super strength" includes both lifting a car and lifting one hundred elephants one-handed but both of those are p different scales, and along similar lines, "advanced healing" brings up a lot of questions about, like, can they regrow limbs or how do they handle poisons or can they get drunk / deal with painkillers).

idk. just. i'm old. i'm tired. i want to know if you're bringing in evil superman before i approve the app and suddenly find myself dealing with you throwing a man through a wall and flying off at the speed of sound.

stultifera navis
aliasnines
pronounsshe/her
568written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
yes but there's a difference between being in-depth with explanations, and a long laundry list of different powers and abilities that a single person can do.

I'm honestly here to just rant in peace.

hover + icon by 旳---
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
Not a negative confession for once. But thank the gods for members that appreciate you? Like as an admin, I work hard to release new content, update skins, keep things interesting and running smoothly, but when I just kind of fall behind, my members are like "That's okay we love you we understand" and it's so... Nice? I push myself really hard to stick to my own deadlines and they're all just along for the ride and that's the best.

164written posts
Fujiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Fuji
Fuji Avatar
Kuroya Avatar
ninelie Avatar
When someone's powers/abilities section is longer than a CVS receipt—
personally, i'd rather see a powers section that's too detailed than not detailed enough

there's some sites where just going with bullet points works fine (fs is one of them, thank shiva, my soul needs the rest) and it's all good. but. i think there's some genres (superheroes, panfandoms, open-lore fantasy) where you kind of have to have that detail, just because of the scale + nuance you need to telegraph (since like imo "super strength" includes both lifting a car and lifting one hundred elephants one-handed but both of those are p different scales, and along similar lines, "advanced healing" brings up a lot of questions about, like, can they regrow limbs or how do they handle poisons or can they get drunk / deal with painkillers).

idk. just. i'm old. i'm tired. i want to know if you're bringing in evil superman before i approve the app and suddenly find myself dealing with you throwing a man through a wall and flying off at the speed of sound.
I have mixed feelings of this. I think it really all boils down to what the site’s systems are and what they expect from players. I’ve seen some sites that require as much information as possible. While others what just the general overview and rely on their members to make mature decisions on how that ability interacts with the world. My rule of thumb is that if it’s a single ability it shouldn’t be over 1-2 paragraphs. But if it’s a broad overview on your magic/mutation that could be much longer. 

you do have to expect staff to potential glaze over or outright skip these longer abilities as it’s probably really time consuming on their end. They might end up spending an hour going over your one app or spend that hour going over 3-4 more manageable apps. If that’s the case, I’m sure it’s hella frustrating but you as the player need to keep that in mind. 
164written posts
Fujiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Fuji
Fuji Avatar
I've probably created at least 5 sites now where I start a site. Make a good model of it. Work out a system. Decide to make my own character because I'm so excited about the site. Then lose muse and just pitter out. What is wrong with me?
last edit on Feb 27, 2021 17:28:40 GMT by Fuji
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I find myself in a situation where I’d rather assist with a site over being the creator of it. Though there is too many things keeping me from stepping up. I must believe that the site can benefit from me assisting. I’d rather see somebody else volunteer. And that I’m friends with the creator just because it never works out if I’m not familiar with the person.
pronounshe/him
792written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
My coadmin is in new zealand and we often use this as an excuse to start things a day early by my time zone because "oh we have a few members in australia/nz, it's technically the date over there."

....Then we end things on EST because "technically we still have time by Jungler's time."

The truth is we're just impatient and like events and contests.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
Trying to stick to my own deadlines for events and things is really hard. I still have some of my New Year's events up... It's March. Oh well. I'll get to it when I get to it anyways.

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
real talk, i'd probably make so many more site concepts if i didn't feel a burning need to make a custom skin for it (since sure i know premades exist, but most of the ones that are actually competitive have all been used to death now, and trying to tweak one to feel more unique + fit the site better honestly probably would take almost as much work as going from scratch anyway)

this would not be half as much of a problem if i didn't basically produce one halfway decent skin design a year and end up choking on the rest of it before getting much further than the header and maybe the board layout

269written posts
Kei ⚸earned bits
offlinecurrently
Kei ⚸
Kei ⚸ Avatar
Don't depend on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you're in the dark
i am so impatient with throwing wrenches into event threads, just one thing after another

stop kei, there's a time and place for everyth-- "oops."

...."well that happened. good luck guys LOL"
last edit on Mar 4, 2021 3:56:42 GMT by Kei ⚸