aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I try not to limit the creativity of members, but if you come in here with things that don't fit the universe, I'm going to assume you didn't even try to read the rules or plot or setting.

pronounshe, him
561written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
wolfe Avatar
I feel like some people come into a site with systems expecting it to be like a flea market.

I don't like this mechanic, I think this one is better or more suited for my character. Can we trade parts of your system with parts of my system? Can I haggle to not be covered under this rule I don't like? This is a banned power, but like, that doesn't apply to VIPs right? I would use the banned power in a different way than you're probably expecting, so can it be lifted for just me?

I feel like a Wal Mart cashier explaining to someone that no, you can't haggle the price of the flat screen TV and no, you can't pay in lightly used socks. You need to use money. Real, actual money that is standard in the place of business. Nobody cares about your obsolete stash of Confederate dollars, you can't use that to buy a flat screen at Wal Mart.

I don’t know how you can put up with it. 3-4 months of people being mad my dollar store wasn’t a wal-mart was enough of that for a few lifetimes for me.

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
I've had people tell me that my "shop" system is outdated or "too easy" and "boring" but ya know what? It works for me. It works for a majority of people. If ya don't like it, too bad?? Idk man. Staff have that weird line to toe. What makes them happy, but what is best for their member base too. Some people like complicated systems, but I am not one of those people.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar

dropping in my voice for a minute --

but, I really don't like lots of stats or complicated mechanics, which is why my site(s), if they even have anything like that, generally use a basic currency/store system to buy skills, plot-oriented stories to achieve milestones,... or I've even used post counts to level up characters before. These methods are much simpler to me, they give results, and it seems to have always worked.

And, honestly, if your rp isn't all about the grind and isn't dependent on heavy stats, just do what vibes with your genre and flow with the general atmosphere of the site, and don't worry about what everybody else wants. Different sites and systems cater to different interests and people.
the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
978written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
it genuinely makes me sad when ppl say "sorry for the length of my app" b/c like, that implies something made them feel bad about it in the past and im like... no... this is ur baby, and imma read the heck out of it because you put time and effort into it.
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
432written posts
Asuearned bits
onlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
What's the reasonable amount of time to expect a site to respond to an affiliate request? Or to link back an ad? I'm feeling off that I didn't respond to an affiliate request within three days since I was on vacation and then they came back to respond they were retracting their request :'|
the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
978written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
Asu Avatar
What's the reasonable amount of time to expect a site to respond to an affiliate request? Or to link back an ad? I'm feeling off that I didn't respond to an affiliate request within three days since I was on vacation and then they came back to respond they were retracting their request :'|
IMO the reasonable amount of time to expect a site to respond to an affiliate request is as long as the site's staff needs! like people need 2 understand that rp is a hobby, even for staff members, and as such should be allowed leeway for when irl comes into play. some sites, i've seen, really depend on their aff spaces but it's not a good color on them to expect you to respond within three days. like what? is this a business to you?

im sorry that happened to you. <3 
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,363written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
Asu Avatar

personally, i give affiliate requests a week or two before i just yeet them

i get that people have lives outside of their site + updating their affiliates won't be most staff's first priority. but at the same time, it's also not fair to me that they've been essentially getting "free" advertising on my site for those two weeks now and it's not on me to have to wait around forever just to get my banner added back

by that point, if they're still interested in affiliating, they can put my site's banner up first and apply in our affiliate section (since there's no hard feelings when i yeet a banner over waiting too long, it's just me not wanting to keep a banner up for weeks and weeks on end for a site that may not even add us back for whatever reason)

Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
Sometimes I literally forget I am an admin and I have duties. If I don't reply to your ad in a week I am so sorry. My brain forgets time exists.

aliasmany - just ask!
pronounsShe/They
212written posts
eulalieearned bits
offlinecurrently
eulalie
eulalie Avatar
Let the mighty be humbled.
It's such a good feeling when you take the reins to do task management for the with the founder and other staff and... *CHEF KISS* we got a good portion of our new map down to help us with our new lore.

We were only on a VC to work on it for 3 hours, but man was it productive! WOO HOO!

last edit on May 30, 2022 5:41:42 GMT by eulalie
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
did half the summer layout in a day and now I dont wanna stare at it, but its not done and its june and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
978written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
to do list
1. say something witty when ever a new member joins the server

but i enjoy when i get to meet new people, genuinely, so it's always a pleasure to come up with a witty welcome message ^-^
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
This isn't a call out or anything specifically related to one person or group of people, but just a general thought I have about it.

Can you trust your staff? Like, as head admin of a site, do you trust your staff to keep things running if you have to disappear for a bit, or do you come back and get really upset that they've done nothing and the site has died or they've answered all the questions wrong or started drama because they don't know how to conduct themselves? How do you deal with that?

aliasnightbloom, bloom
pronounsShe/Her
702written posts
peachearned bits
offlinecurrently
peach
Part of the Furniture
peach Avatar
so it goes.
I appreciate the hell outta my staff team right now. And always tbh. I'm so glad I finally found people who are willing to work with me, instead of me hoofing it by myself. \o/

I APPRECIATE YOU
Tidal Wave
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I have issues with staff sometimes. Sometimes you find really good staff members that are on top of everything and you can put your trust in them. And sometimes you just find slackers that like to have the staff title so they can flaunt their power. But if you remove them from staff they throw hissy fits and cause trouble and that's just no fun x.x

-again this is not a current issue, just something I've noticed in my 16 years of rping-