Staffing Confessions

aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
I forgot how demoralizing the first couple of weeks of a site opening can be. Having people excitedly join the discord only to leave without a word within a day. We accepted our first app today that wasn't from one of the friends I dragged with me when we opened, and I woke up from a nap to find that they'd left the server at some point after getting accepted.

People don't owe me a reason why they're leaving, and we'll get apps eventually! It's just the leavers hurt more in the beginning, y'know?

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I never understood why a person joins a site and than ghosts it? I mean I guess for jcink it makes sense because you can't delete the account but what about the ones that join proboards or discord? I mean I always find myself wondering if you got busy or if you aren't coming back and feel like the bad guy when I end up removing you for not being on just because I attempted to reach out and didn't get a message in return. I mean it has always been like this, you join, decide not to stay, but is it really too much to ask to make it clear that you don't plan on staying instead of just ghosting us?
last edit on Oct 29, 2021 20:54:35 GMT by Deleted
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,793written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I never know when a good time to poke a new member is. I want to take the initiative and help people if they are confused and whatnot, but I never know when I should message them with a little "Hey, I see you online and wanted to know how you're doing?". I did it once, but my insecurity issues casually making me paranoid people might take it the wrong way or feel rushed or something when in reality I just want to be helpful. ;-; Then I end up sitting here, contemplating and trying to figure out if I should message or not.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,143written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
^ I always just bombard them right off the bat. well on discord anyways. it's hard to avoid me on discord. just. "Hi welcome feel free to ask questions we like questions haha" all... the time.

Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,793written posts
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
AkiraTsunami Avatar
^ I always just bombard them right off the bat. well on discord anyways. it's hard to avoid me on discord. just. "Hi welcome feel free to ask questions we like questions haha" all... the time.

I mostly on-site only members, since sometimes they are not a big fan of chats. c: So I never know when to send them a quick PM checking up on them.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,143written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
When is there too much lore/content? How much do people read or does a lot of it get lost on them? Do we need maps of places that aren't real places? Of course I love doing all these things but will it turn off new members for having too much?

Also I learned something new yesterday...

If you have more than 250 boards/subboards on your proboards site, the Nav tree will stop functioning hahahaha.

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
AkiraTsunami Avatar
When is there too much lore/content? How much do people read or does a lot of it get lost on them? Do we need maps of places that aren't real places? Of course I love doing all these things but will it turn off new members for having too much?

from what i've learned to understand, different people are going to have different thresholds. what one person says is too much might be another person's too little and a third person's just right.

personally, these days, i try to aim for as little actual required reading as possible to get started (aka, what's the absolute bare minimum i as a brand new member would have to know + actually understand decently well to exist on the site) - for me, that typically tends to be rules + faq, premise + a "light" setting (tl;dr extended bestiaries + exhaustive descriptions bad but quick + dirty summary for feel good), and whatever faction / species / membergroup that i would specifically need to know for my character (ie, i'm making a werewolf, i need to know werewolf species info). i structure that out and then anything else from there than i feel the need to add on, i try to separate out + pretty clearly label as more optional material / material you can familiarize yourself with later after you're accepted.

but that's the approach i personally favor as someone who gets very easily overwhelmed by going into a site with a "lot" of info right off the bat (especially if it's very poorly separated between the "you actually need to know this" vs the "you don't have to know this if you're not actively involved with it"). obviously someone else's approach may vary, and it's a lot harder to make that judgement call as the person doing all of the world-building vs as an outsider trying to join with the most situationally unaware character possible since, y'know, an outsider isn't going to be half as invested in maintaining your "original vision" of the world (especially if they're brand new + just looking to vibe in a corner doing their own thing), so. yeah.
last edit on Jun 26, 2021 17:48:14 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar
Some thoughts I have as ex-staff who ran 2 sites lasting 6+ months and 3 sites lasting ~3 months during the GS/WW era (an era not known for site longevity). These are my general observations, and sites have changed a lot since my heyday. Make adjustments according to your own personal experiences.

1. Ideally, being an admin should feel less fun than being a member. Itโ€™s the inevitable result of needing to be the โ€œbad guyโ€ sometimes and making decisions for the good of the community, rather than your personal wants and needs. Set your expectations accordingly. Running a site that centers member-driven plots should feel disempowering most of the time.
  2. That being said, being staff absolutely means you have to prioritize your own plots. If you donโ€™t think your own site is fun to RP on, then youโ€™re much more likely to burn out and quit. Posting once a week is healthy, posting once every two weeks is a sign that you probably need more staff to delegate tasks (and maybe take a break).
  3. Iโ€™ve run faction-based sites before. To ensure fairness in how I treated members, I made sure to play an equal number of characters in each major faction. If you canโ€™t do that, then at least make sure that thereโ€™s an equal number of staff members with a specific faction bias on your team. I've seen members being promoted to staff on the basis of "they were really active on a faction that the staff team currently lacked characters on."
  4. If youโ€™re admin, then there is no such thing as neutrality (yeahโ€ฆ I know). You have to take sides OOCly before drama inevitably spirals out of control. Take it from the person who once had to pull apart 8 of my feuding friends over site mechanics. People will feel burnt no matter what you do (and if you take no action at all). Itโ€™s better to take control of a situation, rather than let a situation take control of you. Carefully observe, collect information, and decide on a best course of action. But donโ€™t let things simmer for too long, because they will boil over.
  5. Assuming you want a decentralized site with huge sprawling member driven plots, your job shouldnโ€™t be to figure out how to say โ€œnoโ€ when someone comes up with an outlandish plot. Your job should be to figure out how to help other members say โ€˜yes.โ€™ If someone wants to do a pirate plot, then offer to introduce them to the navy canons. If someoneโ€™s crime spirals into some bigger implication, then try to incorporate that implication into the next site plot. Sometimes, the bare minimum you can do is just giving your adminly approval and encouragement at something that a member wants to do, because that goes a long way.

932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
As people Iโ€™ve staffed with can attest, I love making feedback forms. On top of being helpful, itโ€™s fun to read what comes in.

That is all.
last edit on Jun 28, 2021 22:22:03 GMT by gimmick
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,793written posts
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
For the first time in a long time I am making up a name for a species and while I used to do this all the time with locations and such, I find myself ridiculously nervous about picking a good name. I just want to give the new species a good a name. ;-;
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
391written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
It no longer sparks joy for me to read new apps, and I get stressed when I hear people wanting to make more characters when they already have 5+ characters. I'm not sure how to get rid of the feeling, but I used to be excited to read apps ;;;