interest check: zelda

83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
There's two recent posts about wanting a Zelda site and I want to get a feel for what kind of site you want because going 'fun and exciting' doesn't give me a lot to go off.

A quick over view: post/AU Skyward Sword, the Hylians exploring the world below, and having first encounters with races like Zora and perhaps some original ones. Players help fill in a hexmap both OOC and IC of the world. Maps get updated depending on big events, like discovering a dungeon, or carving a road through the mountains. Here's one I slapped together as an example.

Some dot points because it's easy to digest:
  • no need for a FC
  • no character limit
  • want a hylian with a loftwing? Cool ok.
  • Want to be one of those kikwi things? Or a twilli? We'll work it out
  • want to make a hilarious overpowered item or magic or something? Whatever you want my dude, make your own fun. Just don't be a dick to other members.
  • same thing if you want to be like, a warlord zora or a demon worshipper of Demise
  • it's only based off Zelda, let's have some fun messing with the setting and mashing things together
  • you wanna play a bunch of monsters and run a dungeon or something for another member? Sure go for it
  • you want to make a volcano erupt and have a big event? Hey talk to me so I can make you boards and sticky threads
  • this doesn't require onsite currency or anything, at most just a sort of 'you've been here for a few weeks so I know you're not going to ditch' wait period
  • oh and for you to check the events calendar or something so we don't have too much going on at once that we all get spread thin

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i guess i have two questions on how things are gonna work out.

1) if you do opt to use faceclaims, how strictly will you be structuring the requirements? ie, will it be that gerudo have to have red hair and golden eyes? do they have to be female if someone's already apped in a male? can gorons have a more humanoid appearance? heck, for that matter, can any of the less humanoid races have a more human appearance? ........ i know this all sounds kind of specific, but i've just seen so many loz sites get so uptight about face and species specifics that i've learned to ask for what kind of wiggle room i'd have.

2) is the site more going to be based around "site canons" emulating the original game roles (ie, the royal family of hyrule, a link, etc, etc) or is it more going to be open world, everyone's a hero and can contribute, do what you want? i've seen a lot of sites do it either way, and it sounds like you're going for the latter, but i definitely wanna check in on that just for confirmation.

83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
Hi I’m phone posting while getting ready for work

Super general outlines. Gerudo *mainly* have red hair and yellow eyes, but they also commonly have pink hair and orange eyes, or blonde with red eyes. They may dye their hair because they saw a Rito and loved their colours. Maybe one of their parents was really good with water magic and their kid was born with blue hair.

Gerudo can be any gender or sex I do not have time for that bullshit. They have a massive inclination to be femme but I really really do not have time for that ‘this race of brown females are all evil man hating and fearing thieves’. They love their male and nonbinary and gender nonconforming children.

FC wise, make up a reason why your race is more humanoid looking. Maybe your Zora has a distant gerudo uncle, or their affinity for fire magic took some of their fishness away. Or it’s a curse, Magic is always a Valid Reason. Or you can go ‘this human face is just a vague representation because I like having pretty images along with my posts and having nice things is nice’.

“Canons” I am... up in the air about. That’s one of the reasons I have this thread. What do the people want? I am leaning more towards no canons in the sense you apply and boom you have a strict activity check and role? If someone wants to set up and organising a royal family of this new world they can. If someone wants to make a leader of a merchant guild or a legendary knight claiming to be the champion of the goddess they can. I’m trying to keep things as open ended and player decided as possible, not go ‘we can only have this one master merchant and that’s it.’

If everyone wants to be royal zora princes then I guess we have a big group of fish boys giving out jewels and royal titles. If that’s what members want, you can talk about and plan it with each other because that’s what YOU want to do and write about and play with.

I’m here to mediate and help with the book keeping and pinning threads and making boards. If something really becomes an issue and we need a more strict set of rules or a system, then we talk about it as a community and find a solution that helps the majority and moves the site forward.

thank. I have my copy of hyrule historia to reference haha, and the only edginess will be what the members want to interact and create (within reason, still got the no no things like rape and such).

pronounsshe/her
35written posts
chirpearned bits
offlinecurrently
chirp
chirp Avatar
decay will feed the bloom
okay admittedly I love the BOTW world but Skyward Sword is suuuuuper close to my heart so this is kinda neat. I like that it's post-SS 'cause I don't think I've ever actually seen that and it gives you lots of chance to expand and build as you see fit.

I guess the only thing I'm wondering is, I like the idea with the map slowly being explored (although I'm also a fan of just... having it all there to begin with so I can yeet my characters out into the world) but if someone did want to play a Zora or a Goron etc, they're obviously not going to be in the same areas. So would those just automatically be found already, or connected to the original area?

I'm v happy about what you wrote in terms of Gerudo though, that's a refreshing change of pace and much-needed tbh.

Personally I'd say just no canons at all to keep things easy, and let people take the roles they want as long as it fits/doesn't conflict with what's already been established.
83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
Phone posting from work bcus I’m a rebel

Some good questions in there! Let’s start talking about how we can set up the world map, every one please feel free to toss in your own thoughts. You’re going to be the community of the site, let’s byuld something you want to play in!

My main thought on how to tackle this is to have a few strong established territories for the various races or at least some of the major ones (so a zora capital, a rito capital etc.), with at least one main well known mostly safe road between those places. A zora would totally have a good knowledge of their local area but while they may have a map of the gerudo desert they don’t KNOW it??

So the site would start with a few major hubs and the roads between them, and then we can have all this wild unknown land for both potential future races to have as their home area and for players to decide what new junk they wanna encounter. I want to try and get a nice base line of world knowledge while leaving plenty of mystery hexes to fill in and for people to talk and develop together!

I work at a botanic garden and it’s really exciting to get to talk about the area to visitors and hear all the volunteers talk about their part of the garden they take care of. I’m hoping that we can make a community of members and characters that will enjoy showing their part of the world off to each other and exploring different areas and events.

83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
Popping in quick to leave you guys some questions, please feel free to ask any others.

• what races are important to have as starting ones?
  • you got a fave skin or layout options? (this will be on proboards)
  • opinions on sorting character profiles/groups?
  • OOC accounts?
  • would you like me to tag you for future things in this thread?

aliaskappaccino
pronounsthey
283written posts
kappaccinoearned bits
offlinecurrently
kappaccino
kappaccino Avatar
welcome and well met, my brave little spark
what races are important to have as starting ones? This is super self indulgent, but I really wanna play a zora somewhere that actually looks like a (breath of the wild) zora. Of course, I'm pretty busy atm, so I suppose it doesn't need to be a starting race that much as long as I could pop in later.
you got a fave skin or layout options? (this will be on proboards) I have trouble with dark sites, but I don't really have much of an opinion other than that. :') I'm not great and a super beginner at skinning, but may be able to help out a bit if you need I dunno
OOC accounts? I personally don't like them.
would you like me to tag you for future things in this thread? I lurk in the recent posts pretty often so it's probably not needed, but I don't mind either. 
pronounsshe/her
35written posts
chirpearned bits
offlinecurrently
chirp
chirp Avatar

what races are important to have as starting ones?
I'd say Hylian, Zora, and Gorons at least to start. But I'd really love to see Rito and Gerudo ofc eventually.

you got a fave skin or layout options? (this will be on proboards)
I'm not too picky as long as it's not clutteed and easy to read

opinions on sorting character profiles/groups?
by race/class I suppose?

OOC accounts?
no opinion

would you like me to tag you for future things in this thread? sure!
83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
Neat let's get some replies

F'sure gotta have them Zora about. I'm thinking it's a regional thing on how they look, like how you get colourful tropical fish, cause looking at original game zora vs OoT vs BotW is weird innit? Magic is always a good reason as to why they have different appearances too. It's neat when people draw zora from one design into another, like Ruto as a BotW zora.

No worries about readability, my eyes are funky and there's no point having all the pretty if you can not read the actual RP yeah? I'm thinking a nice blue-green scheme, maybe a bit of yellow or orange, I want you to think of a fresh summer salad. Only Teardrops looks nice, I'll have a play with that, gonna do a different board list since I'm not a fan of the side by side boards cause that's my taste and I'm selfish and gonna change it haha.

That's a good base start! Nothing too obscure like Salona, variety of appearances, abilities, and home areas. Oh, what if instead of member groups being races we go off home area (Eldin, Lanaryu, Faron etc)? Just so we don't be splitting too many hairs as people bring in more and more specific races?

Would you guys want to do classes? I do not plan to have any systems at the start, but I'm happy to run some if that's how the site goes and members want. I mainly run DnD so I am not opposed to running a tighter ruleset on character creation and abilities and such. I just see people saying that they don't like book keeping and being restricted a lot.

Oh lemme dot point this for quick skim:
  • would you want character classes? What would those do?
  • OOC money, y/n? What would that sort of thing buy?
  • Discord servers are the hip and happening thing, we want one of those?

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,232written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
what races are important to have as starting ones?
definitely human + hylian. i'd say goron + zora would also be good ones to start too so then you're covering the "common" bases. personally i'd also add in fairies + kokiri as well off the bat, but again, that's just me. also i'd be biased in admitting i'd want a twili really early because i love them but.

i'd maybe do shiekah + gerudo + twili + yeti (since yeah that's a thing) and any other species as kind of. a purchase thing. let people be able to go into debt if they want it but basically. "hey you gotta explain why they're here and take a penalty for it but if you want them go hecking nuts" since imo people are gonna want what they want, so you might as well admit to it ahead of time and just work it in constructively rather than lock it out hard.

you got a fave skin or layout options? (this will be on proboards)
ew proboards it's proboards so already i'm gonna be a bit iffy (i just really prefer a lot of the template options on jcink, leave me here with my dohtml), but as long as it's not terribad, whatever works i guess.

opinions on sorting character profiles/groups?
i'd maybe do it by species but that's just me? idk since you have a point on species getting messy but province would too since like. imo the original four are easy but then you get into some of the other stuff and it gets messy. could do it by those character classes but. hnggggggggg my soul is just not here for heavy combat stuff to track, i'm not a fan.

OOC accounts?
i have no idea. i'd say yes if it were jcink but proboards doesn't really give you any benefits to it so. i do not care.

would you like me to tag you for future things in this thread?
i have no idea my dude.

would you want character classes? What would those do?
no. the closest i'd like to see would be more or less kind of. tank (more hearts, no magic) / support (more magic, less hearts) / noncombat (basically won't participate in things so does not matter).

OOC money, y/n? What would that sort of thing buy?
yes. i'd say for actual weapons + hearts + magic if that's gonna be a thing. maybe a few ooc things but like. nothing that's gonna be major make or break.

Discord servers are the hip and happening thing, we want one of those?
i dislike them but i am old and biased so. yeah.
last edit on Aug 20, 2018 2:22:24 GMT by Kuroya

pronounsshe/her
35written posts
chirpearned bits
offlinecurrently
chirp
chirp Avatar
Splitting member groups based on home province is neat, and would keep things simple. That's a good point, there might end up being too many species to track. But like Kuroya said it does depend on how many provinces there are, too.

Classes I'm really eh on, I appreciate the freedom to let characters kinda do as they please. That said it's not to say that I wouldn't be interested if there's classes. If anything, I'd at least want it to be v simple.

OOC money as in, there'd be IC and OOC money? I'd rather just have IC I think. In terms of OOC shops like, coloured names etc, maybe people could just use leftover IC money for that.

Discord servers are nice but I think having a full and active cbox on a site is really warm and welcoming and fun, too. But I appreciate the different channels in a discord server. I feel like it's kinda inescapable haha.
83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
I'm back again, yo. Here's a rough blank/base map of the world. Haven't put in lines for borders but you can see the clump of seven hexes that make up a province yeah? All totally up to change and input and all that.

Here's an old potential 'combat system' I drafted for a Zelda site awhile back. Give people a very basic measure of power they can flavour up however they want, and is influenced by their freeform and planning things with their RP partners and the staff in staff run things. Think like elemental weaknesses and all that jazz - zapping a fish monster with lightning gonna do more damage innit? A Gerudo in the middle of a blizzard is going to have a rough arse time. Any system is to help people understand a base line to work off, not to strangle you with number crunching and rules.

Threat Levels

These are your run of the mill civilians, and the majority of people. They have little to no combat skill or knowledge, their strengths lying elsewhere. Do not count them out just because they can't swing a sword!
Base damage: (¼ heart sprite)
Requirements:: None. Free to choose as starting level.

Your greenhorns and trainees who may know how to swing a sword, but don't have a lot of experience outside the training grounds. There's a lot of room for improvement here - good thing they mostly know how not to die!
Base damage: (¼ heart sprite)
Requirements:: Free to choose as starting level.
Previous level requires at least 10 threads with active participation in combat, and 3 dungeon threads to increase threat to this level.

Regular hunters and trained guards, characters in this class know combat. More importantly, they can identify most common monsters and know how to deal with them, be it hitting them with a sword, or successfully getting them to lose their trail.
Base damage: (½ heart sprite)
Requirements:: Previous level requires 10 threads with active participation in combat, 5 dungeon threads, and encountered 3 boss type monsters to increase threat to this level.

At camping out in a dungeon, and armed with an array of survival knowledge, these are the top of the pile when it comes to exploration and battle.
Base damage: (half heart sprite)
Requirements:: Previous level requires 10 threads with active participation in combat, 10 dungeon threads, and encountered 5 boss type monsters to increase threat to this level.

The big bads of the monster world - though they're not always large in size! Monsters of this level can seem impossible to beat, and to most are impossible to beat. The individual is powerful as well as being a pack leader or some other head honcho of a monster group that can command other monsters to attack.
Requirements:: Not available to member characters at this time.

Do not engage. Pray for safety, and run.
Requirements:: Not available to member characters at this time.

On classes: yeah I'm totally chill with no classes and the locking in that brings along. Wanna be a Rito that quests for some magic talon covers that let them do Falcon Kicks but also shoots a bow and in their down time tends to bee hives? Cool, you're not locked into being a Farmer or a Monk or an Archer. You're you.

Character sorting: going with provinces, we can have Ordona (humans, hylians), Faron (deku, fey, korok), Eldin (goron, mogmas), Lanaryu (zora), Hebra (rito), Gerudo Desert (well.), Other Realms (twili, anouki, ...lokomo? I'm sure someone will want to play a lokomo for shits and giggles). Those are a few examples of what could be the major races of that area, but any race could call any of the areas their Home and be sorted into that board. Your twili's backstory could be how they fell into Ordona province and has been living their for years before the hylians appeared and they consider it their home, not the Twilight Realm.

Money money money: focus on it being for IC items and benefits, so cool weapons and magic and mo' harts? Earn money from posting and dungeon diving and quests, classic stuff, but also you would get a money bonus for running a dungeon/monsters for people. I would also like to run games for a bit of extra money since there can be dry patches of having threads to do with people, or it can help you flesh out your character and find out who they are hey? Stuff like writing prompts, or setting up dungeon/monster encounter skeletons for people to use. Work together with each other and give the site more tools while getting a bit of money in your pocket.

I would still want the weapons/items/magic to be rather free form as well. So you just buy the damage or special effect or amount of healing, and then you flavour it however you want. So maybe you're that Rito with the fire talons above, but another person gets the  same base from the shop and makes a fire throwing knife.

Building a bit more on that, you can start with a varying amount of stuff. Real quick not entirely thought out example: 3 weak items or one super strong item of your choice? I'm all about having options to play with.

edit: like suggested, an option to go into 'debt' is totally something I'd be happy to set up Get a big bang of a start but you got to get back in the green before you get more stuff. We can work out a limit and all the details and adjust as the site goes of course!

Discord server: aye I hear you both. I love using discord for me DnD stuff but not everyone uses it or would feel comfortable joining one for a site. An active cBox is important to me too, give the site a bit of pep for guests to see. I'll keep an eye on the community that develops and one may get made later, but for now I do not plan to have a discord server at the launch of the site.

ain't gonna lie jcink coding confuses the shit out of me as much as I love some of the layouts and neat site things done on there. So I'm gonna park my arse on proboards and do my best to bumble along.

thanks for the input!

i just wanted you to feel included in this big block of text haha
last edit on Aug 22, 2018 7:34:10 GMT by tiefling
83written posts
tieflingearned bits
offlinecurrently
tiefling
tiefling Avatar
@noir
Thanks for throwing some words in my dude!

FCs: Totally ok with people using that as a reason as to having a human FC. Illusions or transformation magic to help you be comfortable with your body and appearance? Go for it! Members are free to choose if they want to start with this sort of thing for free because not everyone wants to do a storyline revolving around their character's body dysphoria.

Threat levels: aha yeah there was some other notes to go along with that decision but it's somewhere in the depths of my google drive. In general it needs some supporting info, like what counts as a dungeon and what counts as participating in one. A dungeon isn't necessarily 'go in and kill everything'. You could be tending to a garden of some abandoned ruins, helping restore a Great Fairy Fountain, or helping clear a tunnel through the mountains. All very open and you doing what fits your character and is fun for you and others.

debt: :3c when's ac switch tho, as much as pocket camp is giving me a fix

weapon/item tiers: yeah generalised tiers! Maybe follow on from the threat levels and do 0, 1, 2, 3, 4. So mundane, common, uncommon, rare, legendary? It would also help with calculating starting packs and starting debt! A tier would only dictate things like the damage/heart range, a common item whose only function is to purify water could be more useful in a situation over a legendary Flaming Poisoning Raging Sword Of Doom. A few general restrictions on grody or hard to manage things like 'nothing that mindcontrols others' or 'no forcing sex changes on people' or 'no magic that lets you go back in time three days'.