INTEREST CHECK: POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON & MORE

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Hi hello, I'm a newer dude who's lookin for some stuff with my brand new potential RP site I'm developing with some others. It's a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon site. Y'know, where you play as a Pokemon and not a trainer.

But Null, you ask- What is this apparent Mystery Dungeon site? What do we have? What sets us apart? Well, with our current plans, I'm hoping that this setting will make a decent splash in the tons and tons of Pokemon roleplays out there already- even though I haven't seen many of the Mystery Dungeon type variety as of late... Long story short, we're making this a collective Pokemon experience that takes everything you love from each and every game, and throwing in some brand new spices and doodads to put a bow on this neato amalgamation of all things Pokemon.
THE PLOT, NUTSHELLED
A long time ago, the war fought in Pokemon X and Y came to the close with the activation of a great weapon that purged both sides of the war and brought a violent end to the fighting. It created the Mega Stones and put everything in motion for most of the games. But- it did something else in this world.

The weapon opened up a MASSIVE Ultra Wormhole, if only for a moment. Said wormhole, due to the mass amount of energy released from the weapon, swiftly stemmed out and connected tons and tons and tons of worlds that should have never been even remotely linked to begin with. The wormholes began sucking in places, plants, people, pokemon- everything it could in the brief moments they did open. But what was brought in the wormholes wasn't truly lost, per say. It was thrown into a new world- a new world made of everything from the old, but sprinkled with new and strange areas right from Ultra Space that are original to the site. Still- We got Spear Pillar, we got Treasure Town, we got Tin Tower, Meteor Falls, Reflection Cave, Mount Lanakila, Mount Freeze, and much more in this new region of Symbia.

Symbia, as a result of it's haphazard creation and unique landscape, is FULL of mystery dungeons and other hotspots of odd activity. Much of the world remains unexplored- let alone the distant Farlands, the most dangerous areas located at the edges of the world. There is a very high emphasis on plot-based progression rewards and exploration- you have the chance to shape and map the world, which we won't reveal too much of to start. Staff will be around to guide some stories, but ultimately, this world will be your sandbox.

Thus begins the world of Pokemon Voyagers.
thats the site name yaaaaaaay
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE
Also, all pokemon from all generations thus released are playable- though you likely won't be starting off as a final evolution. You can also play as Legendary, Shiny, or Mythical Pokemon rather easily compared to them being barred off or extremely hard to get on other sites!- Though, of course, they won't be playable by just anyone en mass. And to add the bow on this cake, you can make your own Symbian region variant of any non-legendary/mythical Pokemon! It's like the Alolan Pokemon, except YOU get to make one for this new world. Though you will start off around the same level as everyone else starts, just to keep things fair- Legendary Pokemon, regardless of their strength, find most of it sucked out of them as they're thrown into Symbia. The only real thing we may deny character-wise are human-turned-pokemons, but that's still being debated as of now. This is along with things that don't really make sense in general, like a black and red Eevee with spikes with no rhyme or reason.

Our mechanics, while based after Pokemon, are more tailored to being a RP forum and such, so the workings will proooobably be new and pretty confusing to start- but the team here's always ready and willing to help with confusion and such once we finalize our mechanics- there is a LOT, and I mean a LOT for us to hash out, test, and finalize. We'll be using ranks earned with plot, character, and effort instead of levels and/or flat rates of rewards per word/post. You will get out what you put into the plot! Needless to say, grinders and powergamers will have it ROUGH with the system in the works, while those who genuinely want to write a story and show their character will be rewarded much more heartily.

Other things that'll probably be added of note:
  • Missions w/ difficulty, rewards, lasting impact on site sometimes, etc etc
  • Teams and Factions with special bonuses
  • Customized moves to your choosing
  • Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions for every Pokemon, probably
  • No really serious/intensely stat-based mechanics to allow for an easier and more freeform experience

We're looking for help developing also! Whether you just have some suggestions, criticism, so on and so on, or maybe even want to join in in the development area with the staff and other brainstormers- anything will help. The others and I really want to make this a reality that stays afloat, hopefully! Thanks for reading this big block of text that got way longer than I expected.

Sincerely, the Pokemon Voyagers team.
                                Please don't kill us too hard.
last edit on Aug 17, 2018 9:08:39 GMT by Deleted
pronounsshe; her
63written posts
malachyearned bits
offlinecurrently
malachy
malachy Avatar
Okay, so, I love PMMD. One of my favorite games is Explorers of Darkness/Time, because the mechanics and the plot were both fantastic. (What, a great plot in a Pokemon game?!)

That said, I've tried a couple of PMMD rps before, and I've never been able to last for more than, like, 3 weeks in any of them. (And the rps themselves never lasted much longer after that.) The PMMD games are full of tons of mechanics, and translating those into rp form means a shit-ton of tedious admin/moderator work, i.e. not just NPC-ing Pokemon battles, but other dungeon crawling discoveries, shops and item management, exploration team logistics, etc. I have seen anywhere from 1 staff member to 6 becoming completely overwhelmed by the work and all of them getting burnt-out.

So the only things I can suggest revolve around this issue: boil down any mechanics/systems to just a couple. Don't try to do everything. Have a large and dedicated staff team. Find some way to stay organized when it comes to NPC stuff. Maybe even think of altering some game-original concepts, so for instance, limiting teams to 1-2 Pokemon so that way you don't have dungeon threads with 3-4 players all waiting on each other to post.

I wish you guys luck!! Seriously, I wish there were a lot more PMMD rps out there. What you have so far sounds good!
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","infoBG"]
[attr="class","infoBG2"]
[attr="class","infoBack"]
[attr="class","infoTitle"][attr="class","fa fa-star-o"] threadarchived
[attr="class","infoDiv"]

[attr="class","infoBody"]

To keep the forum clean and so people know that all threads in certain areas are current and that the OP is likely to still have interest, we archive threads that haven't gotten posts for 2 weeks. This thread is being archived for that reason. If you would like this thread reopened, contact a staff member.