write a reply

Handling site changes and site canons

352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
Hey guys, I have three question that still lingers my mind despite lurking this community for 2 years.

• How do you handle huge site changes brought by the plots of the members?
  • What are your thoughts about a site with lots of site canons that already have a "basic" form of pre-established relationships? e.g. Character Alpha is Captain of the Knights that received training from Character Beta.
  • What do you do if a person claimed someone important (e.g. a King) and left the site- in situation wherein this person already made significant changes.

I find it problematic enough that Im paranoid even at opening sites.
last edit on Sept 4, 2018 10:22:53 GMT by von
Any way the Wind Blows...
aliasMisha
pronounsHe/They
123written posts
Scaramoucheearned bits
offlinecurrently
Scaramouche
Scaramouche Avatar
I'm a pretty chill admin, I suppose. On my forum, I know it's canons, but like we still have a whole world I have built and I personally don't mind if my members do something that shakes things up. As long as they don't break the world, and have talked to the staff about their idea beforehand, I really don't mind what they do. Wanna destroy some buildings in the city setting? Go for it. Wanna cause a gang war? Have fun. I'm pretty chill about it because change is growth.

As for pre-established relationships, in any way, shape, or form, as long as both players agree, I don't care that they are established. Sometimes, have a pre-established relationship opens up the door for RPs and easier integration into the lore. I have pre-established engaged characters on my forum with my S/O. As long as they are not OOC/Mary or Gary Stu-ish (for OCS) in their establishment, I am like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

If, say, someone important leaves the site, I usually act like they were sent home (because LI has canons) or maybe died (when OC RPing). You have to come up with something to explain it and just move on? Make it a plot point that fits into your lore?

I just roll with things, because at the end of the day, RP is about writing a character. As an admin, we have to ensure that everything runs smoothly and that people are active and not sitting on characters/FCs. As long as the lore is followed and the world isn't broken, I'm not gonna stop anyone from doing anything. I have Alex Mercer running amok on LI, making NPCs Zombies and the BNHA kids and Alucard from Hellsing are all having to deal with the clean-up. It's fun, and never something I expected when making LI. There is already enough to stress about when being an admin, I don't wanna add more to my plate when it's not really hurting anything.

But that might just be me.
last edit on Sept 4, 2018 10:45:51 GMT by Scaramouche
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
1. I welcome them. In fact, I want my members to move the plot along themselves, rather than the staff doing it through events. Of course, there's a fine balance between the two, as giving members full control could potentially change more than what you as staff want for the site, and controlling every plot change with an event can give you a lot more work than you need.

If there's major changes to the plot, like world destruction or killing a major canon character, I'd prefer it if the members gave me a heads up, but from experience, most members are mature and considerate when it comes to these things, and you could always state in the rules or guidelines that major plot elements should be discussed with staff if you're unsure how lenient you want to be.

2. Pre-established relationships between canon characters have both upsides - and downsides. On one hand, the canon characters can immediately jump into threads and plots, because there's already someone their character know, without having to go through the process of figuring out who their canon character would know, but on the other, to some, it might feel a little restrictive?

I'd say it comes down to how much the pre-established relationship is detailed. Does it come with a long history of two people fighting alongside each other, having spent years out in the field, have they had a prior or current romantic relationship? Or is it more open for each person to decide for themselves? Like you mentioned, Character Alpha is captain of the knights, and received their training from Character Beta - this leaves a lot of room for the two players to mutually agree on the two character's relationships. Do they hate each other? Do they respect each other? Perhaps they never really got along as friends, but their fighting chemistry was great?

3. I'd either make the character a staff run NPC, or open the position back up again, stating the character's past history, personality or other important factors one would need to know in order to play a character whose presence are widely known. Maybe it would be beneficial for the plot to kill the character off, or say that they had to leave their position? I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here and I'd just go with my guts at the time, tbh.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,234written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
How do you handle huge site changes brought by the plots of the members?
i mean, it really depends on what it is. i don't really structure the sites to be super plotted usually, so like. imo i just don't go out of my way to acknowledge anything in a thread or an individual plot arc as hard site canon. maybe it's a bit cynical, but in my opinion all characters are equally important to the site plot (since imo, you're not going to have a feasible team rocket if all you have is giovanni) and to a certain extent, prioritizing one small group of characters and their story really neglects all of the other stories that want to be told.

that being said though, there have been more than a few scenarios where i've envisioned a site being one way and then as time went on and we gained members, we realized it really didn't fit the established vision anymore (ie, when we opened ideal world, it was originally a superhero registration plotline site, but as time went on, we realized that most members didn't really actually care for the plotline and were ignoring it in threads). so what we do is rework the site lore and push through an update - we're transparent about it and apologize for any inconvenience it may cause, but at the end of the day, by moving more efficiently towards actually catering to what we are rather than what we intended to be, we're being more honest about it and

What are your thoughts about a site with lots of site canons that already have a "basic" form of pre-established relationships? e.g. Character Alpha is Captain of the Knights that received training from Character Beta.
i mean i don't really care? i'm not really a fan of hard adoptables but like. i guess the bigger issue i have with this is more when it's obligating people to thread with characters they may not want to since like. i'd be annoyed if i had to thread two brothers together when i didn't like the other player but i'd also be annoyed if i couldn't thread them together, if that makes sense?

essentially it's a way to do it but i just. think it's messy tbeh. but i guess no messier than doing any other canons on other sites since like. taking robin away from batman isn't gonna end well for anyone. it's just generally more easily swallowed if you're on a canon site than an original one, i suppose.

What do you do if a person claimed someone important (e.g. a King) and left the site- in situation wherein this person already made significant changes.
shrug and move on? it happens? imo there's nothing to really do about it and as much as it sucks, it's a fact of life. it's actually why i don't like huge important site canon lists - because people ghost or get busy or otherwise leave and i'd rather not get fussed over being unable to replace them. i prefer having sites where it's more of a "if we have this character, great; if not, that's okay too, we don't need them" attitude.

i know some sites do adoptables, but this always sat poorly with me since just. different people are going to have different takes on a character, and personally, i'd rather be playing my own character rather than more or less replacing a character that someone left vacant. i might not want to change much - whether it's through relationships with others or just flat out the character interpretations - but i'd still rather have the chance to actually forge something different than be bound to words or deeds that i didn't do and that i may not see my character doing. it's a peeve.

pronounsshe; her
63written posts
malachyearned bits
offlinecurrently
malachy
malachy Avatar
I don't have any admin experience, but these questions are still ones I've thought about. I think they're pretty good questions myself! I can't answer the first question with any authority in that regard, but:

2. As an rper, I find canon positions generally restricting and a source of anxiety for me, because of your question #3. I do like the idea of occupation/position claims, however, or I saw an rp once that called their canons "sub-plots": in other words, they were ideas for characters left out for members to potentially pick up, but they weren't essential to the site or set in stone in any way.

3. I feel like a lot of rps I've been on still don't know how to effectively deal with this. When I played on LJ/DW pan-fandoms for a little bit, the issue of inactive canons could be dealt with easily. The character would simply "go back to their world," and for whatever reason due to the mysterious nature of the panfandom world, if someone else picked them up again that character would lose any previous-rp memories, letting the new mun start from a blank slate. (It was also a cool plot device for other characters with history to realize that, no, their best friend does not remember becoming best friends with them.)

Of course, that kind of tactic doesn't work for a lot of roleplays, especially the real-life/non-fantasy ones. Still, I think a lot of rps could use a by-line that says "if you quit/drop a character, please provide a reason for your character leaving the ic world, or else we will come up with one for you." I'd imagine these staff-designated ones are typically "character x moved out of the town suddenly." I think with site canons, staff could have even more freedom to decide what these are, and maybe even come up with some interesting concepts as a result! A mun ghosted, thus leaving the captain of the guards in an inactivity limbo? Whoops, the captain of the guards died and someone new has to step up to the plate! Or, the captain of the guards vanished and now the whole squadron is wondering if he was kidnapped! Etc.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
How do you handle huge site changes brought by the plots of the members?
Depends on the type of changes and how they effect things, if its member driven site or plot driven.
I hugely support phasing in ideas of members where possible and especially if its something with no real impact on future plans where you have no actual reason to say no like, let it happen man. If it's totally plausible for it to happen and that's the kind of thing you want happening then go for it.

Something I've suggested with sites I have been on before though is having a "pre-arc/event" for threads to be sorted into if they were made prior to something world/board changing, that way the events in those threads can still be brought to completion but it's obvious moving forward that any other threads made in the effected boards should reflect the change just so there isn't any kind of mix up for newer players.

So yeah, a lot depends because if you're not a member driven plot and something wouldn't make sense for the basis of your plot you gotta find another way around but if there's no reason for it to be denied otherwise and it can even be worked into future events then heck yes. Let's do it. Actually I wish more sites felt like that freedom existed because I feel like that's part of what prevents people from making dynamic and engaging plots, they're worried about interfering with future events of the site too much.

What are your thoughts about a site with lots of site canons that already have a "basic" form of pre-established relationships? e.g. Character Alpha is Captain of the Knights that received training from Character Beta.

Yes pls. IN my experience this actually helps a lot in getting the ball rolling because it makes it easier for dynamic plots to be engaged in because sometimes they come pretty much pre installed and you can just jump right in. It makes things move instead of stagnate because people have a direction to immediately move in instead of making a role and twiddling their thumbs not 100% sure what to do with it or what they're allowed to do. This is especially true with sites who's plot revolves around the idea of things bubbling under the surface, tensions rising yada yadda, this puts the tension already there for poeple to work with rather than banking on people making tension.

How ever, I do feel it helps a lot to have these kinds of canons grouped into major and minor roles, that way those that are hesitant to play a game changing role have the choice of picking a support character if you will so they can still wind up involved but more as an aside, or can jump in the middle at their choosing etc etc.

What do you do if a person claimed someone important (e.g. a King) and left the site- in situation wherein this person already made significant changes.

Plausible phase out. Captain of the military poofed? Died in a battle. If they were a drinker they got too sloshed and died in a bar brawl and insert next in line here took their place (meaning either a currently existing character now fills their shoes or it gets reopened as an NPC turned PC taking the role) witht he effects of their predecessor noted. ex: after the death of so and so this character has been promoted to fill their role, now trying to live up to the name held before them they must blah bla h blah
839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar

Depends on what I want / the site wants. I have no problems keeping their changes and playing along with it. Usually, I make up an ambiguous reason for their disappearance in case they come back.

Once, the head admin played a faction leader and then poofed for six months. I tried to take the canon position and lead an expedition to a mysterious cave that everyone had been exploring to go look for them. Admin popped in a week later and didn't take too kindly to that... so your mileage may vary.

aliashannyfish
pronounsshe/they
136written posts
hannyearned bits
offlinecurrently
hanny
hanny Avatar
on the rain-soaked veranda, a small rainbow at your feet.
jumping in on the "when someone leaves and they've done a lot" train - because i think a lot of the time you have to roll with it. if it can be done, there can be ways to say "this that and that have happened over the course of the site so please bear in mind if you decide to take up this canon". it doesn't always go amiss. otherwise a way to write them off if they've been that significant can also be very good and also help move along site plot should you so wish!

ashes to ashes, dust to dust