Admin Pet-peeves

446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
When you lay out the balance reasons for why the system is the way it is, and people try to argue reasons that have nothing to do with what you just said.

I don't care if it's not 'superpowered enough'. I'd rather my combat system work in a play by post format, and I hate when people use either 'realism' or 'everything else is superhuman' and just ignore very valid reasons why. This very rarely happens, but every time it does it grinds my gears because they just talk past you and try to make it seem like you're the unreasonable one.

Someone could post up with a rifle a few miles away and wait for their mortal enemy to sit on the pooper to off them in the most uninteractive way possible. That's realistic, it could happen. In a superpowered setting, maybe that extends to a few more miles out. Maybe ten. That sure as hell isn't happening on my site, though, because in no universe is that engaging roleplay meant for a play by post forum and I'm sticking to that.
last edit on Mar 2, 2019 2:19:17 GMT by wolfe
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
When previously banned members decide they want to come back to the site and stir trouble to try and do it. I always end up sitting here like "Sorry man, but if you want to avoid getting banned, don't do things that will get you banned." Secondly, stirring trouble only makes me want to enforce your ban more. In my opinion, if someone wants a proper chance of getting their banned appeal, they need to politely speak to the staff and not spitefully cause trouble for them.

Just having to ban people in itself is a pet-peeve for me because sometimes they stay for a while, they make friends and became a contributing member of the community. There are times where it does upset me having to ban someone I considered apart of my community but, unfortunately, they did something which I and my staff team consider a bannable offence. I mostly wish we could all play nice, however, there are some nasty people out there.
last edit on Jun 2, 2019 14:26:51 GMT by Chibi Magician
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
1. Light skins usually burn my eyes and I won't even bother to advertise on a site like that.

2. I absolutely hate when people act like site rules are negotiable and I'd sooner just ask them to leave if they can't handle the rules and risk losing a member.

3. When people try to suggest site plot changes because they don't like what they read. Like, take what I gave you or go make your own site with the plot YOU want to see.

4. People who recognize a member on your site from another site and PM you with a list of issues they've known that member to have and then expect you to ban them right away. What, am I just supposed to take you at your word? Absolutely not. I will never ban a member based on somebody else's opinion of them if they haven't broken rules on my site or done anything to sabotage it in any way.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
People have said this a million times, but when people do not check the face claim list. Especially when they are like "Oh, I am going to use INSERT FC HERE," and it is a taken face claim. x.x Then there are the ones who get their graphics ready but do not think to check the list. The ones who message active members essentially saying "Hey, I'm just going to try and snipe your claim even though it is already listed as an accepted character." It gets worse when they complain about not being able to use the FC when they were the one who decided not to check the list. Nowadays, it mostly annoys me because I update that claim religiously and really work to keep everything nice and tidy.

may or may have not posted this in the wrong spot. ;-;
28written posts
Whammychuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Whammychu
Whammychu Avatar
I've been doing some advertisement stuff for a site these last few days, and I'm kind of confused by the whole "Accepted Ads" thing. I'm mostly confused when people put up explicit rules on "Oh, you can only bump your site X amount of times a month". But, all the ads got moved from like First Time (or whatever it's called) to Accepted Ads, and just...I don't have the time? When I'm doing an ad campaign I'm hitting like a dozen or two sites at a time at minimum. I'm not going to be looking at anything past the "First Time" board, so either I see my site ad is still there, or I'm posting. Don't have time to go digging through to make absolutely sure my ad isn't a repeat.

Also, make it easy to find your ad section, please. But that also speaks to a larger pet peeve of site skins that don't make clear distinctions between categories, boards, and sub-boards.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
Whammychu Avatar
I've been doing some advertisement stuff for a site these last few days, and I'm kind of confused by the whole "Accepted Ads" thing. I'm mostly confused when people put up explicit rules on "Oh, you can only bump your site X amount of times a month". But, all the ads got moved from like First Time (or whatever it's called) to Accepted Ads, and just...I don't have the time? When I'm doing an ad campaign I'm hitting like a dozen or two sites at a time at minimum. I'm not going to be looking at anything past the "First Time" board, so either I see my site ad is still there, or I'm posting. Don't have time to go digging through to make absolutely sure my ad isn't a repeat.

as someone who sort of does that (i move all the finished first links into the link back board when they're linked back to), the reason i personally do it is because i really don't do a lot of first links myself anymore (because i hate the captchas), and i don't think it's really fair for the last site to link back to me to just... hang out as the "last post" in that board endlessly (meaning they have increased visibility) when i'm not offered the same courtesy on their site.

(which, tangentally, this is actually the same reason why i delete ads from sites that alphabetize their ad boards - because after my site falls off the recent posts/threads, it essentially has 0 visibility, and i'm really big on reciprocity in terms of advertising, which isn't probably super surprising given that i used to love being an ad mod back in the days when jcink's captchas were 6 alphanumerics instead of "failing" to pick all the squares with a car in it.)

as far as the explicit rules on bumping sites go... some of it is obviously going to be simple admin preference but if i had to guess, the main reason rules like that exist are because of the days when ad contests were super popular and it wasn't uncommon to see some sites just spam their advertisement 2+ times across the span of a week or two, which is pretty excessive (more so on jcink sites than proboards because of the recent posts feature but if the ad's not linked back to yet, tbeh, it's really not helpful to the site being advertised on for a lot of the same reasons that double-posting used to be an advertising sin back in the day). but i also kind of get this rule too - it's not really that difficult or super time-consuming to go to the accepted board and type in the name of your site in the search bar on proboards or jcink and see the results. (i personally don't use a time-scale on my sites, but if i recognize that a certain site is dropping another ad on my site when they dropped one fairly recently, i might just delete the ad rather than linking back, so uh. yeah.)

which, just to be perfectly clear, i'm not saying all of that to try to shame you or call you out or anything of the sort! i'm just trying to explain kind of. the thought process behind all of it since you said you didn't understand it. and to try to explain the rationale of it for other people who also might not understand some of the reasoning behind it.

i guess for my advertising pet peeve, it's when a site has their whole site or their boards hidden behind age verification. it's just not a guest-friendly ad board, and that's the gospel truth. but it's also inequal advertising (since anyone can click on their ad on my site and immediately see it where that isn't the case for mine on theirs, not to mention that technically then minors shouldn't be able to see my site ad even though they can see the one on my site) and advertising boards really should not be age-verified, right alongside claims and site lore (unless there's actual nsfw information in the lore ofc). so uh. there's that too.

but this especially annoys me because just. it's one of our advertising rules. it's legitimately stickied in gigantic block letters and bolded in a different color right in the header area of all our ad boards. you can't possibly miss it. this was a choice you made and it is time for you to stop.
last edit on Jul 12, 2019 3:00:42 GMT by Kuroya

Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I just finished the activity check on my site and remembered something from a while ago which is a serious peeve.

When members miss an activity check and blame staff for the repercussions they have to handle as a result. I always look at this like "You didn't post in the AC, absence board/channel or even messaged me giving a heads up that would be away. Don't whine." To me, it is ridiculously childish to get angry at staff for not memorizing your activity level or just adding you. Until told otherwise, I will be under the assumption someone is inactive unless that person gives me life updates frequently enough for me to know. Just because your name is INSERT NAME does not mean you are some omnipotent force I am required to please and know the activity level of. Chill and understand I am doing my duties as a staff member when it comes to checking activity.

I give approximately 3 discord announcements throughout the check, e-mail all forum members, usually have Chatango spitting out messages approximately every 4-5 hours if there are enough messages (sometimes I forget, I'm sorry ;-;) and place it announcements (included coded area and the ProBoards thread one). My checks are also two-step where missing one just gets you placed in inactive status until the second where you get deleted. If that is not enough, I do not know what is. x.x
last edit on Jul 16, 2019 21:57:27 GMT by Chibi Magician
446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
I do one @everyone ping a month on average -- and sometimes even zero. These are basically literally only for site-wide events or site-wide changes.

Nothing grinds my gears more than people who have obviously not read them and ask me to summarize what is in them in the help channel after I post it. It's one thing if there's a specific part I worded poorly and I could see how someone could ask a question, but it's another thing if what they're asking is literally two lines down in bold letters and it's 100% obvious they didn't bother to even open the thread.

Older threads? Sure, it's whatever. I made the docs and I forget sometimes which ones I have up from 6 months ago -- it happens. Literally yesterday? Nah fam, you and I both know you didn't read it.
Admin Pet-peeves written Jul 19, 2019 21:20:05 GMT via mobile
77written posts
offlinecurrently
Billz billz billz
Billz billz billz Avatar
got my money on my mind and my mind on my money
wolfe Avatar
I do one @everyone ping a month on average -- and sometimes even zero. These are basically literally only for site-wide events or site-wide changes.

Nothing grinds my gears more than people who have obviously not read them and ask me to summarize what is in them in the help channel after I post it. It's one thing if there's a specific part I worded poorly and I could see how someone could ask a question, but it's another thing if what they're asking is literally two lines down in bold letters and it's 100% obvious they didn't bother to even open the thread.

Older threads? Sure, it's whatever. I made the docs and I forget sometimes which ones I have up from 6 months ago -- it happens. Literally yesterday? Nah fam, you and I both know you didn't read it.

If you mean in discord, a lot of folk turn off the @everyone notification (myself included) and I feel it has a lot to do with some servers not disabling the ability for non-staff to use it thus spamming the crap out of it. A server my friend and I run use a verified member role to @ them so they donโ€™t have much of an excuse to not see them. It seems to work. Itโ€™s not the greatest solution but itโ€™s something. But yeah, not sure if this is even the slightest but helpful so sorry if it ends up just being a bother.
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
825written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
- when people do post but never for the ac. makes me cry inside because usually, i really don't want to archive their app, but i hate the feeling of things not being to standard. plus usually reactivating recently archived accounts isn't difficult on the member side. now, when this happens repeatedly/members complain...
me: i love you but just so you know i'm the one who is actually "inconvenienced" you literally have to shoot me a dm, maybe make a post which isn't a problem if you already planned to make a post lmao and if not well you probably need to consider why acs exist in the first place, and that's it. i'm the one who has to go track your shit down and unarchive everything.
them: ooooh so why don't you just not bother cuz you know im active
me: it's called trying to put effort into maintaining something i love

- when i create staff logs to keep track of everything but i'm the only one who actually uses it. it's not a peeve so much as its something that makes me lowkey sad q_q
last edit on Jul 28, 2019 23:38:38 GMT by bc
Admin Pet-peeves written Sept 13, 2019 16:29:37 GMT via mobile
Dark Empress
aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
My pet peeve: when someone stubbornly tries to make the staff bend the rules for them by pulling all the cards, including mental health card /twitch

Also: RULES ARE FOR NOOBS (ie they dont read the rules @ all)
last edit on Sept 13, 2019 16:31:51 GMT by Empress Yuki
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I really wish drama would stop. I have been handling an on-going problem with a previously banned member and it gets tiring. I just wish the issue would be released and everybody would move on with their lives and be happy. Sure, they stirred a little drama, but I want them to let go and move on. All of us can learn from our mistakes and find our little patch of Heaven, but that is impossible if people cling onto a single incident. History cannot be undone, but a new path can be paved instead of one which always brings you back to the past. I have tried my best to move on from the incident, now I am praying more people will take those steps so peace can reign for a long time. However, I am thankful the effected party is limited and I have been able to protect my members from the situation so they can enjoy their role-playing experience.

Wrote this when I was up way too late, so I hope it is coherent.
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
When I advertise on a jcink site and they resize my 450px wide ad. You don't even have a recent posts page so if the page stretches it hurts absolutely nothing. Bonus points when your own ad is big enough that it gets resized on your forum.
269written posts
Kei โšธearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kei โšธ
Kei โšธ Avatar
Don't depend on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you're in the dark
My biggest pet peeve is when someone uses their actual age, in the incident that they are older than you, to justify them being right about everything involving the site. Cut that out, man.

last edit on Jun 8, 2020 21:39:33 GMT by Kei โšธ