pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

when one person posts in the notification thread and suddenly six more people post too like - what the hell!! i swear they try their hardest to drown me in app reviews. this is a joke, it's actually something that makes me laugh, because it always happens.

if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
pronounsSHE/HER
76written posts
murkearned bits
offlinecurrently
murk
murk Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
when asking questions - just be honest! "Hey, I read through everything, but I may have missed this, so I just want to be sure?" is going to come across a lot better and more understandable than "Hey, spoon feed me all of the information that I'm supposed to read".

this is the Type TM i was trying to pin down and i've found in my experience that it's pretty easy to pinpoint when someone is the "i may have read this and just missed over it" or "i'm a baby bird feed me" type. it's either in the type of question or the reception of the question -- being asked things like "is this site x genre" when the words "X GENRE" are plastered all over the site is the type of person i'm getting at. ; u ; if i get even the smallest feeling that some new member asking repetitive questions actually read the information, i'll answer it for them 30 different ways.

just pls put in the effort to read the info that we've taken the time to write up and i'll literally bend over backwards for you im srs

i just wanted to elaborate and highlight this bc i can see how my point could have been like ANY question that can be traced back to x paragraph of y thread is a waste of my time-- it's not that way i promise
last edit on Jul 30, 2018 5:56:46 GMT by murk
( hover )
pronounsshe/her
81written posts
Lacunaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Lacuna
Lacuna Avatar
we're all dancing to the same sad song
(all "you"s are general)

-when people complain about having to read. Sorry, but RP involves a lot of that - so you might want to find another hobby in general? Or go somewhere else? Like sure, I'll just delete all our hard work so you can be lazy. Lmao.

Like, I get fandom/real-life sites having less reading because most of the lore/whatever can be implied. But if it's an original setting, you can expect some reading in most cases. As an admin creating an original world, you either flesh out your setting or you resign yourself to the life of constant lore questions & being forced to type the info regardless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-this one's oddly specific so it might not be relatable, but when people bitch about the everyone tag being used in discord every time without fail. Nobody uses it for menial reasons. It's mostly used for announcements and plotting stuff (new plotters, open threads, wanted ads, etc.). There's always some jackass who thinks they're a comedian and bitches about it and it's like....why? That's :clap: what :clap: it's :clap: for. If you don't want anything to do with plotting opportunities (if that's the case, why are you even here? but I digress), suppress the tag. 

I was going to avoid posting in this thread, but I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today :-X

In general, I wish it was common knowledge that when someone creates an RP, they are letting you into their house. This is not customer service. You can join, or you can find something you dislike to the point of not being able to deal with it, and you can leave. Easy. Especially on a site with an established member base, literally no one is going to get their panties in a twist if someone gives the ultimatum "I won't join unless..." Ah, ok. Bye then! Nobody is gonna beg you to stay when you act like a total knob. Constructive criticism is great, but this is not that.

Some people might do it differently and try to hit that thicc member count at all costs (like allowing trolls to stay or not making the site the way they like because everyone else does it like This™) but imo, those people are probably inexperienced. This is a hobby, not a job! That goes for the staff too!

last edit on Jul 30, 2018 11:41:21 GMT by Lacuna
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
Lacuna Avatar
-this one's oddly specific so it might not be relatable, but when people bitch about the everyone tag being used in discord every time without fail. Nobody uses it for menial reasons. It's mostly used for announcements and plotting stuff (new plotters, open threads, wanted ads, etc.). There's always some jackass who thinks they're a comedian and bitches about it and it's like....why? That's :clap: what :clap: it's :clap: for. If you don't want anything to do with plotting opportunities (if that's the case, why are you even here? but I digress), suppress the tag. 

Hi, I'm the comedian who bitches about @everyone tag on discord and does not understand why people ping for every single thing.

I absolutely hate seeing everyone tags for anything other than announcements because if I suppress it, I will be suppressing your entire discord channel even if I enjoy your updates & conversations, thus checking your site less. But if I do not, then I will get a red marker every single time I open discord and get annoyed by it. It is such a catch-22 situation.

If I wanted plotting opportunities or anything RP related, I would just check #plotting or whatever channel you have, you don't really need to shout to me that you have a new thread there. I mean, channels are completely optional, I can mute them when I'm busy and just want to chat/check updates and unmute when I feel like hitting plotters heavily. In my opinion, it feels rather forced when I wake up and see 5+ notifications for stuff like plotters/wanted ads/open threads because well, RP is a hobby for me and I don't like the pressure to check my discord so often to "stay relevant".

Then again, I don't mind occasional affirmations or reminders like "hey you guys are cool" or pinging people to say "i like your writing here" etc because I accidentally did this recently too and hated myself for bothering so many people at once lol.

TL;DR I am probably just not your target group but here's some insight.
pronounsThey/Them
28written posts
aniearned bits
offlinecurrently
ani
ani Avatar
I hate bitter/salty/grumpy people. Like, the ones who come into the chat always bitching, the ones who whine about not getting what they wanted out of a thread, the ones who are always complaining, or getting annoyed that someone else got modded first, or getting frustrated because members aren't paying 100% attention to them. Having people who are always in a foul mood and complaining about something is exhausting and those members drive away new people, bring down the level of enthusiasm, and just generally aren't fun to deal with.
pronounsshe/her
81written posts
Lacunaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Lacuna
Lacuna Avatar
flare Avatar
Lacuna Avatar

Hi, I'm the comedian who bitches about @everyone tag on discord and does not understand why people ping for every single thing.

I absolutely hate seeing everyone tags for anything other than announcements because if I suppress it, I will be suppressing your entire discord channel even if I enjoy your updates & conversations, thus checking your site less. But if I do not, then I will get a red marker every single time I open discord and get annoyed by it. It is such a catch-22 situation.

If I wanted plotting opportunities or anything RP related, I would just check #plotting or whatever channel you have, you don't really need to shout to me that you have a new thread there. I mean, channels are completely optional, I can mute them when I'm busy and just want to chat/check updates and unmute when I feel like hitting plotters heavily. In my opinion, it feels rather forced when I wake up and see 5+ notifications for stuff like plotters/wanted ads/open threads because well, RP is a hobby for me and I don't like the pressure to check my discord so often to "stay relevant".

Then again, I don't mind occasional affirmations or reminders like "hey you guys are cool" or pinging people to say "i like your writing here" etc because I accidentally did this recently too and hated myself for bothering so many people at once lol.

I guess I just don't see how it's bothersome, honestly. I check whatever was tagged and the ping disappears. On some servers I've been in, there's like 80 red pings piled up and that's how it stays because I just don't care enough to check what it's for at that point. It doesn't bother me. It's just...there. I'm not a very organized person tho tbh

I'll admit I did get annoyed and leave a server that had everyone tags like every 10 mins, but that's some hardcore abuse. I've not seen another site come even close to that. A few pings a week isn't going to throw me into overdrive.

I think when it comes to plotting, everyone assumes that it's muted (I know I have pretty much everything muted in my server bc I don't want my phone exploding), and they really want plots/people to see them so they do an everyone tag. Now that I'm thinking of it though, it'd be really useful if discord made it so you can suppress everyone on certain channels?

Anyway, sorry if I came across as aggressive toward you/others who don't like everyone tags.  I just got fed up with seeing it day after day for months and then the whole plotting channel is derailed by "reeeeee you made me think I had a DM"
last edit on Jul 30, 2018 16:15:44 GMT by Lacuna
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,511written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Lacuna Avatar
flare Avatar

I guess I just don't see how it's bothersome, honestly. I check whatever was tagged and the ping disappears. On some servers I've been in, there's like 80 red pings piled up and that's how it stays because I just don't care enough to check what it's for at that point. It doesn't bother me. It's just...there. I'm not a very organized person tho tbh

I'll admit I did get annoyed and leave a server that had everyone tags like every 10 mins, but that's some hardcore abuse. I've not seen another site come even close to that. A few pings a week isn't going to throw me into overdrive.

I think when it comes to plotting, everyone assumes that it's muted (I know I have pretty much everything muted in my server bc I don't want my phone exploding), and they really want plots/people to see them so they do an everyone tag. Now that I'm thinking of it though, it'd be really useful if discord made it so you can suppress everyone on certain channels?

Anyway, sorry if I came across as aggressive toward you/others who don't like everyone tags.  I just got fed up with seeing it day after day for months and then the whole plotting channel is derailed by "reeeeee you made me think I had a DM"

I definitely agree that some people can be particularly nasty in their response to @everyone tags - or, at least, accidentally come off as such when joking about the inconvenience - but I think there's, at least personally, a very definitive difference between someone tagging everyone for announcements, or even, like, telling them they'll be gone from the site when they're in threads with a LOT of people on the board... and someone dropping a "@everyone, come plot with my girl, lol!!!!" once a week, and then never actually trying to suggest actual plots. Tagging everyone to make them look at silly artwork. Tagging them to tell them a pun they came up with. I'm not even so much upset by people tagging for open threads - but I usually have a channel specifically FOR open threads in my servers, which are usually updated so infrequently that I'd hope people wouldn't have it muted, sdkfjlhdkjfhs? - and by plotting, I guess, but I'm a little less forgiving of plotting, because there are usually plotters on site, if you want everyone's attention so bad, just go post in their plotter, maybe? but it's mostly when it's abused for topics like this that are... kind of worthless. At least, when put up next to an @everyone tag.

When I see pings, I'm under the impression that the information next to them is something that must be seen immediately. Heck, half the time, I have to steel myself in preparation for whatever it's gonna be about, since, outside of my private friend chat, it's either going to be something site major or some Serious Business. It's kinda like a slap to the face when it's something so mundane that it begs the question of why it even?? Needs??? The tag???? In the first place????? If you're trying to plot in a channel where people are already talking, or want to share a funny video, there are probably already people there to look at it. Don't beckon everyone and pull their attention from things that may be, and likely are more important to them.

I never actively complain when someone pings everyone. I just read it and leave it as is. But it is a little frustrating to me when I see one person or a handful of people using it for such silly little things. That's not what the tag is for. Please stahp.

EDIT: Also, consider my Discord right now, I am dying.

last edit on Jul 30, 2018 16:38:10 GMT by pharaoh leap
pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
valka Avatar

when one person posts in the notification thread and suddenly six more people post too like - what the hell!! i swear they try their hardest to drown me in app reviews. this is a joke, it's actually something that makes me laugh, because it always happens.

it's because we know you're coming to clear the notification thread. better get everything in!!!

i would like to add: when people who are never around, never talk in the cbox/discord, don't have a plotter, and basically have no presence on the site come in and go "hmm... i need some threads/want some plots" or "how do i get plots/threads." mull over it for five minutes, then disappear until the next activity check. i can't count the number of times i suggest that they post a plotter or talk to someone about plotting and then i just get told that "they don't like doing that" like... what do you expect then? i get being shy/having social anxiety and all that, but rp is a two way street thanks

bonus round: when they get deleted in the activity check, come in the day after, and ask for all their archived stuff back.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,511written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Okay, but no joke, my biggest admin pet peeve:

I wish I had enough time to thread with all of my members. All of them. But I just. Don't. I don't want anyone to leave one of my RPs feeling as if they were ignored - even just having one person to thread with can help open the door to more activity, and being less shy about getting more threads. It really can make all the difference! If I, as the head admin, can make sure that at least I've threaded with someone, that means they have at least one thread on the site.

Unfortunately, unless there are only, like, six people on site, that's just... not feasible. Why can't I thread with everyone, aaaaaah, I just want everyone to feel happy and welcome.
pronounsshe/her
81written posts
Lacunaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Lacuna
Lacuna Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
I definitely agree that some people can be particularly nasty in their response to @everyone tags - or, at least, accidentally come off as such when joking about the inconvenience - but I think there's, at least personally, a very definitive difference between someone tagging everyone for announcements, or even, like, telling them they'll be gone from the site when they're in threads with a LOT of people on the board... and someone dropping a "@everyone, come plot with my girl, lol!!!!" once a week, and then never actually trying to suggest actual plots. Tagging everyone to make them look at silly artwork. Tagging them to tell them a pun they came up with. I'm not even so much upset by people tagging for open threads - but I usually have a channel specifically FOR open threads in my servers, which are usually updated so infrequently that I'd hope people wouldn't have it muted, sdkfjlhdkjfhs? - and by plotting, I guess, but I'm a little less forgiving of plotting, because there are usually plotters on site, if you want everyone's attention so bad, just go post in their plotter, maybe? but it's mostly when it's abused for topics like this that are... kind of worthless. At least, when put up next to an @everyone tag.

When I see pings, I'm under the impression that the information next to them is something that must be seen immediately. Heck, half the time, I have to steel myself in preparation for whatever it's gonna be about, since, outside of my private friend chat, it's either going to be something site major or some Serious Business. It's kinda like a slap to the face when it's something so mundane that it begs the question of why it even?? Needs??? The tag???? In the first place????? If you're trying to plot in a channel where people are already talking, or want to share a funny video, there are probably already people there to look at it. Don't beckon everyone and pull their attention from things that may be, and likely are more important to them.

I never actively complain when someone pings everyone. I just read it and leave it as is. But it is a little frustrating to me when I see one person or a handful of people using it for such silly little things. That's not what the tag is for. Please stahp.

EDIT: Also, consider my Discord right now, I am dying.

I can appreciate random pictures & crap being annoying to be tagged for! I didn't even know people did that  (puke)

Also you make a good point that people should take initiative and hit plotters if they want attention. It annoys me to no end when someone constantly expects others to go to them. Like I get being shy, but I can kinda brush my own shyness aside because I know that's also most of the RP community? Someone has to make a move. 

Or people that never give input when plotting and expect you to have to do all the work. I always wonder if they're even interested - like am I pulling someone into something they don't wanna do? Just TELL me  O_o
pronounsany pronouns
270written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
Okay, but no joke, my biggest admin pet peeve:

I wish I had enough time to thread with all of my members. All of them. But I just. Don't. I don't want anyone to leave one of my RPs feeling as if they were ignored - even just having one person to thread with can help open the door to more activity, and being less shy about getting more threads. It really can make all the difference! If I, as the head admin, can make sure that at least I've threaded with someone, that means they have at least one thread on the site.

Unfortunately, unless there are only, like, six people on site, that's just... not feasible. Why can't I thread with everyone, aaaaaah, I just want everyone to feel happy and welcome.

I feel this down to my bones on an existential level... and am currently drowning in 30-thread hell for this very reason.

And I can't control myself. At all.

I'm sure that one day, the rp gods will come down to smite me for this.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Bickering about things that just do not matter.  Mainly in the chat box even though the rules clearly say ... oh wait they probably didn't read them. /Sigh/ It seems silly but I always wonder if that affects a sites reputation. The bickering/drama I mean. 

most sites have the option of graphic stores from users, it's hard work and takes a long a long time depending on what kind of graphic a person wants. Not sure if this bothers anyone else but I've seen it a lot, people being ungrateful and underwhelmed by what they are given. 

also I totally agree with pharaoh leap!! I wish I could thread with everyone as well, even when I am just a member and not an admin, I wish I could thread with everyone. Having been left out before, I always pile myself up with threads  XDXD #thenicelife

which leads me to another issue, I understand we make friend groups on role-play but I hate it when new members are not welcomed into the gang or at least even given a thought. I see it a lot in rules so it must happen often, been through it before too .. I wish I understood XD but I'm nice so I probably won't. 
last edit on Aug 1, 2018 14:04:29 GMT by Deleted
pronounsShe/Her
107written posts
♕ RISSYearned bits
offlinecurrently
♕ RISSY
♕ RISSY Avatar
You think your instincts, are your weakness. But they are your strengths. Trust in them. ❞
the one thing i dislike the most...is when someone doesn't follow the rule i have set (which is to register with your characters first name) and then becomes all bitchy when you pend there app because of it. i also dislike when someone joins the site and then instantly deletes themselves, like bro...YOU JUST WASTED A NUMBER! i also hate "is this site active?" questions, especially for a new site or even a site that has members constantly online and chatting in the shoutbox.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,786written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
When members show controlling behavior or complain/demand rather than politely suggest towards a change. These are mostly arguments that I consider have no compelling evidence towards change and are rather changes the single member desires because it specifically hinders them. Oftentimes, these are changes that I find would be problematic to implement and downright unfair to the members already using the benefits of that specific function; especially when it has been around for months. Witnessing a player think solely of their own benefit rather than the benefits members are gaining from these systems set in place really bothers me. I understand desiring to assist, but when somebody is attempting to control every decision or change the different functions of the site, that is when it should stop. Staff know what they are doing from which direction they desire to take the site to which type of community they are planning to hopefully house.

ic for a dystopian fantasy role-play