Shot in the Dark

3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
So I've been wanting to post non-stop again lately, but I have no idea what I want to do. Makes site hunting really hard. So I'm basically looking for someone that wants to spam posts with me. Or a group of people. If I join your site I'll probably plot with everyone I can, but I'd like to hit the ground running and have something going with someone before I join. If you think one of your members would also get along well with me and the types of characters I play I don't mind jumping in Discord or something and talking to them too! I just want to do all the things. And if you'd like to join Ascendant and do stuff I am totally up for that too.

Things I'm looking for in a site

- Fast paced. I'm a fast poster and want to be getting replies to all my threads at least 2-3 times a week. This is per thread, so if I'm in 3 threads that'd be 6-9 posts a week. This isn't a hard and fast requirement, and I understand that sometimes people will get busy and some members will post faster than others. That's totally fine. I just mean in general I can expect this kind of pace on an average week.

- Discord because the PMs are very nice for plotting. I can deal with cbox if you don't mind me plotting in it and won't tell me to take it elsewhere if it starts clogging up the chat. I want IMs for plotting because it's a lot easier.

- Related, I don't want to make a plotter. I can deal with having a placeholder thread with nothing of particular interest in it so people can easily contact me, but if I have to have one or have to have one to get plots at all then that won't work for me. I'd prefer to be able to contact people directly or just ramble in the chat.

- Font needs to be big and high contrast because I am blind. 11px is as small as I can go and I literally cannot read font smaller than that. I'd prefer it closer to 16px, but I can deal with smaller as long as it's not smaller than 11px and is really high contrast.

- I'm sensitive to motion while reading, it legit makes me motionsick, so there can't be an abundance of animations, gifs, or other moving things. If the occasional member uses them I can deal, but if it's most then I definitely can't. If gifs are hidden behind hovers where I won't see them while I'm reading that's fine. Hovers in general are fine as I can control that. That said, if people use a bunch of post templates where the entire post is behind a hover, I can't deal with that.

- To emphasize, I'm looking for someone that wants to do stuff with me, and will join sites to make it happen. Less looking to find sites that meet my criteria and then finding my own way there. I'm looking to hit the ground running. If there's a member on your site that you think would enjoy the kinds of characters I make or the kinds of plots I like feel free to tell me about them and I can go talk to them. This applies even if you personally don't have any specific ideas for me for your own characters.

Other than that, I'm completely open to anything. Any genera is fine as long as it's not on my dealbreakers list, though I tend to like settings with some kind of supernatural element. I'm open to pretty much any kind of dynamic, though rivals or total BFFs that insult each other constantly tend to be my favorites. I play young characters mostly. There are some I'm willing to play as adults, but I'm mostly in the mood to play derpy teenagers right now. So I probably won't be too interested in making characters over the age of 22 unless there's some seriously awesome plot potential going on (feel free to offer if you think my general character style meshes really well with what you're looking for, worst I can do is say is no). My characters tend to be very antagonistic as I like conflict and they make it real easy to stir things up. Here's a couple of characters I kind of feel like playing right now, though I'm still not quite sure what I want to do, so even if they don't fit feel free to offer. They're just the ones niggling at my brain right now and I'm hoping that examples will make it clear what kinds of things I like to play.

Charlotte Akakios - An overprotective delinquent whose had all the authority in their life either fail them completely, or proved to be outright evil, making her sensitive to anyone abusing their power or otherwise picking on the weak. I'm pretty open to a wide range of situations and relative optimism here, from like high school shenanigans where she's prone to beating up anyone that she deems a bully (whether or not your setting has anyone you'd consider a bully is largely irrelevant to me, she's neurotic enough that she can make something up) to like, literally murdered her abusive father and is on the run/in prison/whatever for it, possibly becoming an outright vigilante in the process. I'm mostly interested in dealing with the consequences of such behavior, so being able to brush up against authority figures or otherwise freak out her peers would be a plus. I'd like to play her like no older than 17ish just because teens have less means to deal with this kind of thing than adults do, but depending on your site's setting older might be fine.

Eve Voclain - Willing to play her as an adult, but she's way more fun as a teenager. Would probably make her like 18-20. Super arrogant and super driven, her main desire in life is to save the world and make it better. She needs some cause she can aggressively fight for with extreme zealotry that often borders on outright terrorism if she has the power to pull something like that off. If there's some race being subjugated (last time I played her it was people with superpowers) I can use that pretty easily. Otherwise something like poverty works. She's an anarchist at heart, but isn't typically inclined to push for it too hard because she understands it's pretty impractical (unless the setting doesn't have much written history and thus wouldn't give her a frame of reference for how bad an idea it is), but it does mean that she wouldn't be inclined to join super structured groups. Or lead them, unless she was kind of forced into it or just felt like people were really really counting on her. I'd want her cause to be at least kind of part of the plot because so much of what she does will revolve around that. I have a couple of old character sheets from the last couple of places I played her if you want more info. She was a fabulous supervillain and I wouldn't mind playing her again in any kind of role..

Faith Lessesti - Already playing this one older, so I am straight up not interested in playing her any older than 16. She was originally created as a supernatural hunter for a modern fantasy site. Raised to believe that supernatural were all evil and had to be destroyed, which she did quite well. Otherwise, she's a very kind and docile person who is scarily polite and really wants nothing more than to help people. She takes her job very seriously because of that. She doesn't need to be a supernatural hunter to work though. The older version I'm playing was in the military and was just taught that the people from the enemy country weren't actually people. A cult or something like that would work too as long as there's sufficient amounts of murder involved. Because playing out realizing what she's actually doing sounds pretty great. I don't have a relevant sheet for her, as I don't think this older version would represent this version very well.

For more examples, here are some other characters that aren't niggling at my brain as much. I probably won't play Diana or Jennifer since I'm already playing them on Ascendant, but I'm listing them here to give you an idea of the kinds of characters I make. Note that some of these are quite old, and while I still play the characters, I don't think all of them are representative of my current writing ability.

Diana
Jennifer Kayne
Faith Lessesti
Miranda Geier
Serena Miller | Serena Miller (Child)
Seraphim (Powered) | Seraphim (Depowered) | Seraphim (Child)
Yulia Sokolov
Aphearla Suir
Holly Mason
Reika Hanae
Lucretia Odovacar

I figure this should be sufficient to give you an idea of what I play. I'm willing to create totally new characters for things and I have a ton more in my head, so feel free to present whatever kinds of dynamics you think would be interesting even if none of these characters necessarily match that.

Dealbreakers
These are types of sites that I will 100% not join. All caveats are noted, so if yours fits these, then sorry I'm not interested.

- Sites with RL FCs. Mixed FCs are fine as long as the majority if your members use art. If you're mixed FC, but most of your members still use RL FCs then unfortunately I'm still not interested.

- Pokemon. I don't play the games, and I've tried to join some in the past with friends, but it's never worked out.

- Anything fetish or smut-based. Lighter romance is okay (though see below on slice of life sites), I just don't RP explicit sex and I am 100% not comfortable with people talking about their sex life regularly (characters or players).

- I'm very open to sites with systems, I love systems, but there's a few that don't work for me. The first are systems that aren't really systems. Typically have progression only and are like 'you start at Rank E and here's some abitrary stuff on what that means and you need 50 posts to become Rank D' kind of thing. If there's no numbers to define what Rank E means, or some kind of resolution system, then I'm not interested. The other are systems that only focus on resolving combat and do nothing to interact with the setting. I want my systems to help push the plot forward, so if your system will only tell me if I win or lose a fight with nothing on how that changes the setting after, then I'm not interested. Sure, I'm sure that I could influence the setting like I could with any freeform game, but if the system doesn't help me do that, then I'd rather just join a freeform game.

Maybes

These are things I'm open to, but don't think I'm necessarily a good fit for.

- On slice of life, these don't tend to hold my attention very long and that goes doubly so if there's no supernatural element. The only way I've found for these sites to work for me is if I play a character that's either completely sociopathic or so socially maladjusted that they can't fit in with society at all. So basically the kind of character that would set the school on fire to get out of a test. Could either be great or completely disruptive to your site. If it's the former, then I might be able to make it work.

- On fandom sites, I'm willing to join any fandom site that requires no knowledge of the fandom to play AND has a strict no spoiler policy in the chat in case I end up getting into it because of the game. Exceptions are SMT/Persona, the Tales Series and anything else I'm familiar with. Ask on the last part as Tales and SMT are the only fandoms I can think of off the top of my head that I'm super into and would be okay with all the spoilers.

- On sites whose site plot revolves around some kind of war, I don't tend to like them very much because they tend to be heavy on maintaining the status quo, and thus get stale pretty quickly. Often times, even if one side does get a lead or something, it tends to be based on whatever the staff find interesting at the moment, which always makes me feel like nothing my characters do really matters. In general, I just find it hard to push actual plots forward. If you site has a system for determining the ebb and flow of battle, then that's fine as that covers up a lot of my issues. If the war is just a backdrop and the site story isn't really about the war itself and most PCs aren't directly involved in the fighting, that's fine too. But if you have a really awesome idea for the types of characters I like to play, I'll at least take a look.

- I might consider a panfandom as I've been kind of considering playing like Nue Houjuu or something, but I'm not really into a lot of fandoms, so the amount of characters I'd be able to play would be pretty small. Plus, I've been generally more interested in playing my own characters right now. But if Nue works and you know of someone that would love to thread with her, I'll at least take a look

- On romance, I'm terrible at writing it. I'm bad at determining what my characters' types are and things tend to go a completely different direction when I try. I'm willing to make characters with the plan of romance happening, but I can't promise that it actually will.

That's everything I can think of! I'm a bit wordy, but I promise I'm not super picky. I just want to try to make it clear what kind of player I am and whether or not I'd be a good fit for doing stuff with you. \o/

---

On Ascendant, if you'd like to join me there I play Diana, Jennifer, and Faith. For Diana, people have been surprisingly okay with her shenanigans, so I'd love for people to be upset with her and try to stop her from doing terrible things. For Jennifer, she's too nice and needs to get into more trouble, so manipulative characters would be pretty fun there. For Faith, I actually already have a character request up.

If you're intimidated by the system or have any other questions don't hesitate to ask me. I'm more than willing to walk you through things. If you've ever wanted to try out system-based RP I'd love to have you and I'm more than willing to hold your hand through the process.
last edit on Oct 11, 2018 12:42:42 GMT by Kitten4u
26written posts
sadrienneearned bits
offlinecurrently
sadrienne
sadrienne Avatar
Tally might be worth looking at? Your characters sound very interesting, and I can see Eve getting into waaaay too much trouble leading my Aiden astray. He's a very -good- boy who needs a corrupting influence, and it'd be interesting to see where she falls on the species-discrimination spectrum.

Very. Very loosely HP based, and we're here for the long haul. Hit me up on Discord (Sadrienne#9329) if you'd like to talk potential plottings!
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
sadrienne Avatar
Tally might be worth looking at? Your characters sound very interesting, and I can see Eve getting into waaaay too much trouble leading my Aiden astray. He's a very -good- boy who needs a corrupting influence, and it'd be interesting to see where she falls on the species-discrimination spectrum.

Very. Very loosely HP based, and we're here for the long haul. Hit me up on Discord (Sadrienne#9329) if you'd like to talk potential plottings!

You didn't leave a link, but from what I remember Tally is predominately RL FC, which is unfortunately a dealbreaker for me. :< I should edit this into the OP, sorry about that. Do correct me if I'm wrong though.
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
Hello all, I've gotten the urge to play another particular character, so I added her to the OP. Here's the description so you don't have to go hunting:

Charlotte Akakios - An overprotective delinquent whose had all the authority in their life either fail them completely, or proved to be outright evil, making her sensitive to anyone abusing their power or otherwise picking on the weak. I'm pretty open to a wide range of situations and relative optimism here, from like high school shenanigans where she's prone to beating up anyone that she deems a bully (whether or not your setting has anyone you'd consider a bully is largely irrelevant to me, she's neurotic enough that she can make something up) to like, literally murdered her abusive father and is on the run/in prison/whatever for it, possibly becoming an outright vigilante in the process. I'm mostly interested in dealing with the consequences of such behavior, so being able to brush up against authority figures or otherwise freak out her peers would be a plus. I'd like to play her like no older than 17ish just because teens have less means to deal with this kind of thing than adults do, but depending on your site's setting older might be fine.

I also moved war plots from dealbreaker to maybe because I've thought of a few scenarios where I might be okay with them, so feel free to throw those at me now too!

And as a reminder, if a member on a site you're on has a wanted ad or would otherwise appreciate the kinds of characters I make feel free to tell me about them. I'm willing to go talk to them to see if we can work anything out!
pronounsshe/her
81written posts
Lacunaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Lacuna
Lacuna Avatar
we're all dancing to the same sad song
I saw you took the "no war" disclaimer off so I'll toss something at you. I admit I don't have any specific people lined up and ready to plot with you (other than myself - I'm kind of in the same boat atm lol), but most people on Megalomania will collaborate to make good plots. We're more into pre-established plots and threads with a point to them than the typical "two strangers bumped into each other while walking and are engaged in conversation for no reason" scenario. Or it that even typical anymore? Anyway, the fact that you're cool with DM plotting tells me you'll probably get tons of bites. I'll go down the list point by point!

-Reply speed does depend on who you thread with. Some of our members post super slow. Some are faster all around, and some reply quickly only for threads they're immediately interested in. It's a typical mix, basically. I think if you load up on threads, you'll have no problem keeping yourself occupied.

-We use discord exclusively! While we do have plotters onsite, I get the feeling DMs are used way more often. We also have a freeform plotting channel for when you want to try getting attention without DMing/talk about group threads and possibly hook others into joining. You are under no obligation to make a plotter if you don't want to.

-Most of our font is 11-12px. At least, the parts you actually have to read like forum descriptions, info threads, blockquotes, etc. Most members use the blockquote template for posting, too, so hopefully most IC posts are legible.

-no gifs. We don't even allow them for avatars/icons. We don't regulate templates all that much, so you might see the odd gif/hover there, but it's rare

-we use animanga face claims exclusively.

-we're rated 3-3-3 so smut threads are possible, but our current member base isn't all that interested in them so it's become less common. Either way, those sorts of threads are tagged mature so you don't have to look at them if you don't want to and ofc we are consent-based so mature stuff isn't just gonna happen randomly.

-we don't have any sort of system in place. I realize this might be a deal breaker - especially considering the powerful characters we allow. We go by the honour system and assume the members are mature enough to play fair and cooperate to make a good story rather than argue to see who wins the fight. If someone reveals they have a penchant for godmodding, overly perfect characters, arguing, etc., we just ask them to leave the site. It's a system that's surprisingly worked for the entire time Mega's been open!

The plot currently revolves around a sort of war between factions. It's gotten pretty convoluted due to IC actions. Initially it was Crux vs. sins. The sins were hidden in plain sight during a 5 year timeskip we had back in the summer. So Crux's focus shifted to the Black sun Cabal and now they've been thinned out and aren't as big a threat (for now, but I have plans :eyes:). Apocrypha has been messing up BIG TIME as of late and have also become targets, but due to something that happened in the current event, there's potential for them to be allied with Crux in the future. Weltschmerz has basically declared war on anything not human. So yeah, there's a lot of conflict. But most outcomes are based on IC actions. Staff NPCs are inserted at times when we need a bigger driving force or hype, but it's not too common. Here's the premise if you want to get a clearer grasp on what's happening. Finished IC events are included in the post below.

characters:

Charlotte - I kinda got a vague plot idea when looking at her, but I think she'd have to have been a bit older for it to work because the character of mine that I'm thinking of used to be a commander but lost that status 5 years ago. He's a huge disappointment, basically, and definitely has potential to fuel her hatred of authority figures. :^)

Eve - So I could either see her fitting into Apocrypha (fighting against crux Fidelis, who many consider oppressors for one reason or another), OR there's Ausrotten. It's not an official faction - more of a subplot, but my friends who are running it are looking for more people to join it so that they can become official in the future. They are basically terrorists who fight against the current status quo of racism against non-human characters. They want to save the world - or make it into something they think is better. I think it's a good way to achieve/even start with your super villain status since they go to extreme measures. The most recent event was based around them, too, so it's not like them not being official means they don't matter.

Faith - If she was born with magic from a young age, I could see it being possible for her to be a moderately successful hunter. The cult idea would work pretty well, too. The Black Sun Cabal is one of the official factions. I'd mark them off as chaotic evil, but they're very friendly toward each other in the ranks and pretty much like a family? So if she was adopted by them for whatever reason, the atrocities they commit could be all she knows. She doesn't see why it's wrong. Maybe after she figures it all out, she leaves and becomes a hunter? That way you get to play through both ideas.

I couldn't see many of the other characters you listed since the site closed, but Seraphim caught my eye as she could absolutely work as a Weltschmerz soldier assuming the serums were taken voluntarily (they hate non-humans, but when it comes to humans, they're very...humane). Depending on how you'd want to work them, the rest could fit? 

Like I said earlier, I'm totally down to do some threads with you. Admittedly I mostly play older characters/immortals that look young but are centuries old, so no shipping (admittedly not my forte either tbh) and best friend dynamics might be tough. I tend to like edgy/tragic nonsense. We could possibly do a mentor/student type thing? If any of your characters want ice powers, my angel could have ruined their life by giving them a piece of his grace in the past. Or maybe they don't see it that way and are grateful - who knows? That's a plot I used to have on the go but it got ditched and I'd love to get it going again.

As for other members, if you want me to DM you who posts quickly/tends to play younger characters, I can totally do that.

But yeah! I saw that you want to be able to make an impact with your characters, and Mega is absolutely the place where that can happen (as long as you don't break the world). So here I am.

side note: if you're interested and find you want to take a canon position, I'm gonna slide in and say those characters usually tend to be older because it makes more sense for them to have that sort of social/magical power at 25+ (tho early twenties can work if it's explained well enough). There are exceptions, however. Original sins are 8 years old (but made to be a certain way rather than born, so they don't have to actually act like an 8 year old - that'd be kinda weird). Could even go younger if you wanted to make one that was created post-time skip, but it might be difficult to get plots when your character doesn't know much about world affairs. There are also enforcers/ephemera who can be anywhere from 1-20 years old - though the latter is not actually a canon position. Horsemen of the apocalypse are 1-8 years old. My character Soren, who's somewhat in charge of the horsemen, is actually looking for someone to throw the death aspect into right now since it's rampaging in the tropics and needs to be contained by a body to be fully controlled.

So I guess there's actually a lot of potential for younger canons - just not in Crux (legal combat age is 15) or Apocrypha. Younger characters can be in those factions, they just won't have a lot of social power starting off.

Apologize in advance for this wall of text.

last edit on Oct 11, 2018 15:58:35 GMT by Lacuna
3,084written posts
Kitten4uearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kitten4u
Part of the Furniture
Kitten4u Avatar
Full disclaimer: I don't think Mega is a site I'd typically be interested in joining on my own, but my site joining criteria widens considerably when I know I'm going in with something that sounds pretty great. Hence me being more interested in buddies than sites in this request. I can't promise anything, but there are things that do sound interesting, so if you want to poke me about things I'm Kitten4u#8675 on Discord!