aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
815written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
i don't get angry when i'm pissed; i'm the eternal optimist.
editing a video for a friend's sibling's bday bc they commissioned me and man, the existential crisis that comes with having to accept a lot of major life changes and developments is hitting hard tonight

coming soon.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
witching hour Avatar
where r all the cool kids rping these days

subjectively speaking, right here

more objectively speaking, discord seems to be where it's at now

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
witching hour Avatar
where r all the cool kids rping these days

Not speaking for everyone in the AM scene, but I think we're just at a Cautious Creation™ phase right now.

I see lots of people talking about ideas, advertising positions for, or mentioning small details like "the private site I'm on", and I think the end result is that there are more niche, small-scale sites out there actively being worked on right now - if not outright beta/private "friends and invited friends-of-friends only" types of forums - and they either aren't interested in advertising, or just aren't ready for it yet.

Thus, it doesn't look like too many are around, but I think all of this is a careful reactionary trend to another forum cycle: namely, we've rather recently gone through a big bust/boom phase, with at least 5 forums I can think of that did play the pre-advertising game, had very strong receptions to their interest checks, opened the doors... and either fell completely flat day 0 when that hype didn't translate to actual forum activity, or within a couple months when other factors caused them to close.

The end result is many people who are jaded of hype specifically, either taking a break from the RP scene, reconnecting with the individualist nature of the hobby and only participating in 1-on-1/private RPs, or are cautiously building up their own new homes - again, with an emphasis on specifically avoiding the previous cycle and instead having as little fanfare as possible. They want to know they have a successful forum before throwing open the doors, and/or they already have all the members they want.

Sources:
- have my own beta/private forum not yet stranger-ready,
- know of two other friend groups working on their own forums they're also not talking about publicly yet,
- and know of two other friend groups that are on private/invite-only forums specifically targeted at that smaller-scale, "just for us" demographic
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
Where does one acquire strawberry sprite?

also. is there a jcink version of pp, or like something similar somewhere? or do all the cool kids just gather here too lol

and my own take on the "where's all the rp gone" thing. I agree with Noire. A lot of people are moving either onto discord rps or private sites for one reason or another. Personally, I think because there's a lot less fresh blood out there, and most of the rpers in the community now have been here for 10+ years. We grew up around it, versus kids with todays technology rping on minecraft servers or whathaveyou. Those of us that are not actively rping on discord may have found other reasons to close the doors to new members and move into private rp with trusted groups of people or one-on-one to avoid drama or just have more laid back atmospheres that our busy adult lives can handle now that we're not all 15 anymore.

Not saying that is always the case, there's probably lots of reasons that people are moving away from forum rp, including proboards moving to v6... eventually. The main target audiences have changed a little bit over the years.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW