pronounsshe/her or any pronouns
815written posts
bexearned bits
offlinecurrently
bex
Part of the Furniture
bex Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"

you ever think about how a manga you love will likely never get an adaption, or if it has already- one that's actually good?
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
bex Avatar

you ever think about how a manga you love will likely never get an adaption, or if it has already- one that's actually good?

This feeling exactly is a huge part of why I've started to shift into more of a manga reader than an anime watcher. 😔 Though when you set your expectations really low, it does make it pleasantly surprising when the adaptation does turn out to exist and be pretty darn good. And if not - well, you still have an excellent manga to always go back to!
the chalk prince
aliasyuan
pronounsthey / them
978written posts
yuanearned bits
offlinecurrently
yuan
Part of the Furniture
yuan Avatar
existential execution is just a fluke in evolution.
my personal opinion is that forum rp isnt dead. people are just far too picky with what they want out of a rp but don't want to do the work of creating a new one themselves. which is valid! creating and running a site is hard, but it's hurtful to those who are running successful sites that have remained open for you to say that the hobby is dead even though we are alive and well.

you just have to compromise and work with existing sites.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
yuan Avatar
my personal opinion is that forum rp isnt dead. people are just far too picky with what they want out of a rp but don't want to do the work of creating a new one themselves. which is valid! creating and running a site is hard, but it's hurtful to those who are running successful sites that have remained open for you to say that the hobby is dead even though we are alive and well.

this is gonna be a very hot take and I apologize beforehand if it upsets anyone but honestly most of the folks still in the forum rp scene were so used to seeing a new site pop up every other day that practically catered to what they wanted/catered to their oc. they grew a sense of complacency and came to develop this idea that their character shouldn't be the one to budge because they could just put them on a new site. but now that site creation has stagnated, people are forced to compromise and they don't like it and seem to want to make passive aggressive jabs instead.

and I'll throw my two cents in to the aspect of current sites: there's a lot of panfandoms that sprout up and for me personally, that's not my cup of tea. (kudos to those of you who do it, but I'm more fond of playing ocs.) in that aspect, you can't really compromise for your character(s). but you know what you can do? find a site that allows ocs and shape them to fit into the site idea.

"but Howi, I don't like this person and they're on that site!" ok and? no one said you have to interact with them.

"but Howi, I can't bring myself to shape my oc to fit the site idea!" then make a new oc, make this an au on your oc. do anything else but make it everyone else's problem that you don't want to compromise.

ultimately though this is just my opinion. take it as you will, but the point being is that yes, it is extremely insulting to say forum rp is dead when there are sites that have stood the test of time and continue to do so.
aliasjo, honey
pronounsfeminine
645written posts
offlinecurrently
honey and the forgor land
Part of the Furniture
honey and the forgor land Avatar
fed up with y'all bitches
lumin Avatar
yuan Avatar

this is gonna be a very hot take and I apologize beforehand if it upsets anyone but honestly most of the folks still in the forum rp scene were so used to seeing a new site pop up every other day that practically catered to what they wanted/catered to their oc. they grew a sense of complacency and came to develop this idea that their character shouldn't be the one to budge because they could just put them on a new site. but now that site creation has stagnated, people are forced to compromise and they don't like it and seem to want to make passive aggressive jabs instead.

and I'll throw my two cents in to the aspect of current sites: there's a lot of panfandoms that sprout up and for me personally, that's not my cup of tea. (kudos to those of you who do it, but I'm more fond of playing ocs.) in that aspect, you can't really compromise for your character(s). but you know what you can do? find a site that allows ocs and shape them to fit into the site idea.

"but Howi, I don't like this person and they're on that site!" ok and? no one said you have to interact with them.

"but Howi, I can't bring myself to shape my oc to fit the site idea!" then make a new oc, make this an au on your oc. do anything else but make it everyone else's problem that you don't want to compromise.

ultimately though this is just my opinion. take it as you will, but the point being is that yes, it is extremely insulting to say forum rp is dead when there are sites that have stood the test of time and continue to do so.

another hot take is to just put your pants on and make your OC (ORIGINAL character - who is capable of change, flexibility, and adaptation since it's not a character from a set genre, game, anime, etc) in the given setting of a site anyway since you don't HAVE to adapt to it you can just do your own shit. you don't have to partake in the overarching site plot if you don't want to, you can have your character do their own thing in a generally big setting. it's really not that hard and i feel like people overthink and limit themselves too much when sites are 99% of the time 'write what you want' since staff isn't there to govern how you play your character since ... y'know ... that makes no damn sense when it's YOUR character
last edit on Apr 2, 2023 21:04:50 GMT by honey and the forgor land
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
-on the subject of ocs- I have a habit of making the same characters over and over again in whatever new places I make or join, because I know my characters well enough to know whether or not they can be adapted to any given situation. I have seen it, also over and over again, of people asking you to bend your whole damn universe just to fit their character, and then storm off when you say no.

TBF though, I'm also entirely done dealing with public rp so that I don't have to be everyone's punching bag when things aren't exactly the way some people want them to be even if they're not on a staff team. Either fit your characters to the site, or move on. It's really that simple. If you don't like the site or the people in the community, then no one's forcing you to stay lol.

pronounsD A R K
273written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
Reconnecting with people is an incredible thing. It's why I never change my name. I'm always hoping someone from the past will see me and say hi, if I don't beat them to it, lol. ♥
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW