Post a Random Thought

pronounshe/him
418written posts
Salmonearned bits
offlinecurrently
Salmon
Salmon Avatar
AkiraTsunami Avatar
-on the subject of ocs- I have a habit of making the same characters over and over again in whatever new places I make or join, because I know my characters well enough to know whether or not they can be adapted to any given situation. I have seen it, also over and over again, of people asking you to bend your whole damn universe just to fit their character, and then storm off when you say no.

TBF though, I'm also entirely done dealing with public rp so that I don't have to be everyone's punching bag when things aren't exactly the way some people want them to be even if they're not on a staff team. Either fit your characters to the site, or move on. It's really that simple. If you don't like the site or the people in the community, then no one's forcing you to stay lol.
Most of my OCs tend to just be a personality reskin of previous OCs. All my female characters looks the same I know shut up. It’s really not that hard to change about a few things to fit into the constraints of a certain universe. I’ve had a whole ass conversation with someone who wanted to alter a site’s existing rules to fit with their characters and it was so exhausting like stawp.

anyways random thought. WHY IS GROCERY STORE CHEESE SO HIT OR MISS. Three weeks ago I got the best damn cheese I’ve had from that brand and then yesterday it had the most rock hard core and tasted like feet. Just give me consistently good cheese pls I don’t ask for much 
aliascog, nina
pronounsshe/her
28written posts
cognizantearned bits
offlinecurrently
cognizant
cognizant Avatar
Nothing but a stray Toontown cog.
My own issue wasn't with fitting into a site, it was more the idea that there is simply a shortage of new sites to explore. No issues with players on sites or the staff teams running them, just a simple observation and fact since - as aforementioned - there is a steep decline in sites being made. It's just sad to see forum rp kind of "drying up", if you could call it that, though it seems to be an issue with more people going to private rp sites which is totally okay just leaves us public rpers with less sites to explore. Individuals who claim a lack of wanting to rp due to rigidity built around their character and what they allow for them is not something I considered, but it's unfortunate people feel that way.
last edit on Apr 3, 2023 2:41:15 GMT by cognizant
257written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
cognizant Avatar
My own issue wasn't with fitting into a site, it was more the idea that there is simply a shortage of new sites to explore. No issues with players on sites or the staff teams running them, just a simple observation and fact since - as aforementioned - there is a steep decline in sites being made. It's just sad to see forum rp kind of "drying up", if you could call it that, though it seems to be an issue with more people going to private rp sites which is totally okay just leaves us public rpers with less sites to explore. Individuals who claim a lack of wanting to rp due to rigidity built around their character and what they allow for them is not something I considered, but it's unfortunate people feel that way.

That's why I always maintain some degree of subjectivity whenever I hear RP horror stories about sites that are run by "authoritarian" admins, or complaints about being "railroaded" or "creatively stifled". Because one gotta ask, are the admins really being authoritative, railroading jerks, or is the player just too picky and inflexible for their own good? Not saying that it's always possible to compromise (cause I too have certain things RP-wise that I will not compromise on; I.e. when it comes to FCs, illustrated over live ones are a non-negotiable part of my RPing experience) or that we should always be willing to compromise, though. But I'd like to at least see more self-awareness in this regard. I.e. Acknowledging that one has certain areas of inflexibility, rather than blaming only their partners and/or sites

A multi-anime shared universe high school RP, est. 2016! In the process of restructuring and rebooting! Estimated re-opening date: End 2024 to Q1 2025
pronounshe/him
801written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
eh i don't have nostalgia for the heyday of forums. sure, there were more forums made, but how many of those lasted longer than a month? how many of those saw satisfying story arcs? a lot of the old forums were made seemingly so that popular FCs could be used by the admins, and they died horrid deaths. well, more quiet deaths because the next forum had opened up.

there are fewer forums now, but it feels like the ones we have last a lot longer. i like that a lot more, especially as i grow tired of restarting storylines.

second edit to say i was not exempt from making forums just to make forums back then and joining more forums than i could reasonably stay active on lmao.
last edit on Apr 3, 2023 15:00:11 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
No hot takes, just advice. If anyone is having that "Maybe I don't align with this hobby anymore; maybe I should just quit" self-convo, then please know that I get it, and I've had that same thought plenty of times before.

This is what I recommend:
  • Take a break. Don't stress yourself out keeping up with trends, don't stockholme syndrome yourself into joining something you're not 100% on, and just let yourself rest and recharge creatively.
  • Identify one horizon to explore. A genre you've never played, a dynamic you're never on the other end of, a demographic you keep meaning to portray, a writing style you appreciate, hell even if you're always a staffer or member and never the other - look at your own patterns and figure out a trend you'd like to break, or something new you want to be.
  • Fortify one boundary. Look at a prior thread, plot, or interaction that just did not work for you, and drill down into why. Commit yourself to speaking up when in a similar situation again, be it asking your partners for compromise or straight-up saying "no".
  • Come back when you feel the itch to tell stories again, and not just the nagging dread that you should be. And if that day doesn't come, that's okay, too.

Some of us will grow away from the hobby, and some of us are just in slumps. Use the opportunity to better know your own wants vs. needs, and beware of mistaking comfort for happiness.
pronounshe/him
912written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
clefairy 🌙 Avatar
I write the same ocs, same plots, same everything. Lowkey feel kinda embarrassed for doing so,,, but c'est la vie.
cringe is dead, do whatever you want
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW