write a reply

Post a Random Thought

pronounsShe/Her
107written posts
♕ RISSYearned bits
offlinecurrently
♕ RISSY
♕ RISSY Avatar
You think your instincts, are your weakness. But they are your strengths. Trust in them. ❞
finally found an oral surgeon, however, they don't care that my mouth is killing me. they still want me to have a consultation to decided if i need the surgery sooner rather than later >.<
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,821written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
There's some people who I really like working in for technical support. There's however a greater amount of people who I don't.

"What are you even talking about? My email isn't working."

"Yes mam, that's because you are not connected to the internet."

"Why would I need the internet to access my email? It's on my computer!"

internally screaming for twenty minutes
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Neko Avatar
There's some people who I really like working in for technical support. There's however a greater amount of people who I don't.

"What are you even talking about? My email isn't working."

"Yes mam, that's because you are not connected to the internet."

"Why would I need the internet to access my email? It's on my computer!"

internally screaming for twenty minutes

I get this a lot working at the library, helping people with the laptops.

"It says I need an email and password to login."

Yes sir, you do.

"Whats my password?"

Sir, I do not know your password.

"Why don't you know it??"
pronounsany
255written posts
UMUearned bits
offlinecurrently
UMU
UMU Avatar
I'm going to change, one step at a time, even if you won't forgive me
me: -dying horribly in bathroom-
brain: so like, tall people wanna be short and short people wanna be tall - why don't they just aim for medium?
me: NOT THE TIME
brain: but seriously, think about it. if everyone was medium, anyone could be big spoon or little spoon
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Pearlescent Avatar
I wish I could make a comic but I need to git gud first.

Consider also: You don't need to "get gud" first. Art is something you continuously improve at as you go. If you go into drawing a comic with this idea that you have to start off strong and you're going to have the same consistent style the whole way through, that's just... I MEAN, you may start off strong, but you're going to improve. Having a schedule to stick to and multiple types of poses, emotions, and frames particularly are going to be good practice, and are par for the course in a comic. Don't think to yourself, "I have to be at this level before I begin this project." You only hold yourself back.

I guess, for reference - look at the first page of Paranatural compared to the latest (and that's not even a great example of the usual quality, I'd say, of the latest parts). Heck, if you want professional examples, look at the first volume of Fruits Basket compared to the last.

If you have a story you want to tell through a comic, don't wait. Start whenever you have the time. Your art will improve as you go so long as you stick with it, because that's the nature of the medium. The bonus is that you can always go back later when you think you've "gotten gud" and redraw those earliest pages to be "on par" with what you wanted them to be.

UNLESS THE - "GET GUD" COMMENT WAS IN REGARDS TO STORY-TELLING, but heck, even then, like. Breh. It's your story. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece right out of the gate. Just push arm through, and you'll be able to make something great!
last edit on Aug 3, 2018 3:17:38 GMT by pharaoh leap
pronounsshe/they
147written posts
asiearned bits
offlinecurrently
asi
asi Avatar
i'll take my chances on the curb here with you.
pharaoh leap Avatar
Pearlescent Avatar
I wish I could make a comic but I need to git gud first.
Consider also: You don't need to "get gud" first. Art is something you continuously improve at as you go. If you go into drawing a comic with this idea that you have to start off strong and you're going to have the same consistent style the whole way through, that's just... I MEAN, you may start off strong, but you're going to improve. Having a schedule to stick to and multiple types of poses, emotions, and frames particularly are going to be good practice, and are par for the course in a comic. Don't think to yourself, "I have to be at this level before I begin this project." You only hold yourself back.

I guess, for reference - look at the first page of Paranatural compared to the latest (and that's not even a great example of the usual quality, I'd say, of the latest parts). Heck, if you want professional examples, look at the first volume of Fruits Basket compared to the last.

If you have a story you want to tell through a comic, don't wait. Start whenever you have the time. Your art will improve as you go so long as you stick with it, because that's the nature of the medium. The bonus is that you can always go back later when you think you've "gotten gud" and redraw those earliest pages to be "on par" with what you wanted them to be.

UNLESS THE - "GET GUD" COMMENT WAS IN REGARDS TO STORY-TELLING, but heck, even then, like. Breh. It's your story. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece right out of the gate. Just push arm through, and you'll be able to make something great!

going off first hand experience, actively making a comic in the past has helped me with my art SO MUCH. it is a perfect medium for practice because it forces you to work on characters, poses, backgrounds, expressions, perspective, and literally so much more, all for a thing your heart is invested in which helps with pushing through the struggles. the first few pages are probably gonna be garbage, but when you go back later on and redo them, you'll see how much you've improved.

my own word of advice: don't start with the comic you want to actively pursue. do one or two small ones first before jumping into that project your heart is really set on. it'll give you a chance to get the hang of actually making them. making comics are exhausting and it really helps knowing you have a couple of smaller projects finished under your belt before going into something bigger. there are very few long-term webcomics that have made it to their proper end before the artist(s) get burnt out.
last edit on Aug 3, 2018 3:36:00 GMT by asi

aliasravyn, ori
pronounshe / they
421written posts
rav⭑earned bits
offlinecurrently
rav⭑
rav⭑ Avatar
the strides i've done in actually improving in icon making over the past few weeks has honestly amazed me and i might be brave enough to let more than a select few actually see them!

but for now, diving back into my to-do list and seeing what else i can get done tonight
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW