Post a Random Thought

pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
tbh knowing how much of an aesthetics arms race forum creation has become, i'm not really surprised discord RP is becoming more favored. i'm considering making the switch myself.

it's also not surprising, given how much work a skin for a RP these days involves, that no one wants to do it for free.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
aliasDivvy
pronounsShe/Her
2written posts
Divyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Divya
Divya Avatar
Damsel permanently in distress.
Challenge: Keep an ICly Journal for my DnD character.

Obstacle: Neglect the original document and write out thoughts across multiple platforms, only to look back to the original thing and realize you've somehow fallen years behind on content. Wheeeeeeeze.

h e l p .
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,358written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
pharaoh leap Avatar
So this was inspired by a post in another thread, and I must preface this with the fact that I've never RPed on a Fate site, but I've wondered for a long time how you make a Fate Grail War work on an RP site, and the friends I've had who did RP Fate pretty universally told me "you don't", which. Foreboding.

But as someone who has, once upon a time, RPed Soul Eater, another combat-heavy series with a heavy focus on pairs where one person uses the other to fight, I feel like I can pretty confidently say... that I have absolutely no confidence in pretty much any RP that requires pair ups for characters to work. Sure, you'll have friends who join up together and have their pre-plotted master/servant or meister/weapon or what have you pairs, and that's fine and dandy; you'll eve get your strangers-joined-together-in-friendship who fill the missing role for each other, and that's great; but sooooo many characters will be partnerless, in a setting that you really can't afford to be if you want to partake, and I can't imagine there's any real way to circumvent that, beyond each "character" really just being both halves of a pair in one (such as playing the master and servant on the same account, written by the same person). But that also takes out some of the appeal for RPing in those settings, right? Like, the master/servant dynamic, or meister/weapon dynamic, or whatever other dynamic is hypothetically the strongest relationship either half will have to another person, because of the forced proximity and (at least partial) mutual goals.

Pair-up RPs sound so appealing to me on paper because it's a 'guarantee' you'll have at least one person with whom your character gets awesome setting-supported plots with, but, like. Actually thinking about how to make them so is just headache inducing. Have there been places in the past that have made this work? Are there potential ways to approach such an RP that we haven't really seen that might be promising for future RPs? Someone tell me there's hope -

honestly, i've had it sort of work twice, and for entirely different reasons.

the first is probably the truer to the intent of "partner concepts" in that it was a loveless site, which is probably sort of similar to soul eater in that the entire lore concept revolves around fighter/sacrifice pairs where fighters actually fight in spell battles via speaking purple prose metaphors into magical attacks while the sacrifice takes all the damage/effects from said magical attacks.

basically, the reason we got it functional was a combination of exploiting two gigantic system loopholes (that blank fighters/sacrifices can take on the "true name" of an existing unit, which meant partners could be "replaced" if people went inactive or you were open to going other directions, and that fighters and all zeros can canonically still fight without a sacrifice or cross-pair, which meant not having a sacrifice didn't lock you out of the concept) and getting lucky on two fronts with the community vibes (that our group largely did not care to actually in combat and that our group from 10+ years ago was a lot more open to rolling the dice on outsiders than a lot of the current rpc is now myself somewhat included there).

the second was my old soulmate concept marvel/dc site (if you remember, man, hi, how's it been-) and that worked out as a combination of deliberately breaking the partner dyanmics (tl;dr you got a lil tattoo mark on your skin for every single significant relationship you formed with someone + the marks would just change color based on how exactly you regarded them), having those actual canon relationships to fall back on even if they weren't in play (which also makes it easier to request too since i personally have found it a ton easier to get interested nibbles pitching "hey come be the steve to my bucky" compared to "hey come make the somewhat-normal childhood bestie to my existing sad brainwashed assassin who's unwillingly in this cult, it'll be really tragic"), and the fact it was a semi-private community (so we had a solid core of members who weren't really going anywhere) and one that was very down for the vibes of an episodic tv show vs a larger movie series (think the vibes of like the teen titans cartoon vs the mcu).

(usually i would say "well no duh, any kind of more private site is going to skew things in the favor of it working, having a smaller established community who are all somewhat integrated already + are specifically sticking around for the concept and community are going to make almost any kind of otherwise impossible concept work" but in all honesty, i don't think the core friend group would've been big enough to make as meaningful of an impact to significantly outpace the others tbeh-)

256written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
This is an interesting article from Mythcreants.

mythcreants.com/blog/characters-dont-need-flaws/

Maybe instead of asking myself "what kind of flaws do my character have?" perhaps a better question to ask myself would be, "in what way(s) can my character screw up in this situation, and will they?"

It's a fair point really. Like, one can have a laundry list of 'flaws' a character possesses on their profile, but they'd be nothing more than an informed attribute if the character never has any IC screw-ups because of them.

A multi-anime shared universe high school RP, est. 2016! In the process of restructuring and rebooting! Estimated re-opening date: End 2024 to Q1 2025
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
ditto become human Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
realization pixel perfect doesn’t have a guidebook and just posts its important stuffs as locked topics

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
pharaoh leap Avatar
So this was inspired by a post in another thread, and I must preface this with the fact that I've never RPed on a Fate site, but I've wondered for a long time how you make a Fate Grail War work on an RP site, and the friends I've had who did RP Fate pretty universally told me "you don't", which. Foreboding.

But as someone who has, once upon a time, RPed Soul Eater, another combat-heavy series with a heavy focus on pairs where one person uses the other to fight, I feel like I can pretty confidently say... that I have absolutely no confidence in pretty much any RP that requires pair ups for characters to work. Sure, you'll have friends who join up together and have their pre-plotted master/servant or meister/weapon or what have you pairs, and that's fine and dandy; you'll eve get your strangers-joined-together-in-friendship who fill the missing role for each other, and that's great; but sooooo many characters will be partnerless, in a setting that you really can't afford to be if you want to partake, and I can't imagine there's any real way to circumvent that, beyond each "character" really just being both halves of a pair in one (such as playing the master and servant on the same account, written by the same person). But that also takes out some of the appeal for RPing in those settings, right? Like, the master/servant dynamic, or meister/weapon dynamic, or whatever other dynamic is hypothetically the strongest relationship either half will have to another person, because of the forced proximity and (at least partial) mutual goals.

Pair-up RPs sound so appealing to me on paper because it's a 'guarantee' you'll have at least one person with whom your character gets awesome setting-supported plots with, but, like. Actually thinking about how to make them so is just headache inducing. Have there been places in the past that have made this work? Are there potential ways to approach such an RP that we haven't really seen that might be promising for future RPs? Someone tell me there's hope -

late reply but i love fate rps more than i actually like fate. Never did those soulmate stuffs. I’ve rped in a fate rp that had a pretty decent memberbase plus activity, and while i did have three friends with me, i ended up parterning with a bunch of rando folks and i distinctly remember how cool they are. I can preface by saying fate rps dont struggle bc of the partnership prerequisite, but because of the nature of the grail war and fate fans generally being too serious (i confess past tanz was part of that problem and i want to apologize on her behalf altho i dont apologize to the few a-holes fate bullies i also met)

I should also add that the nature of fate rp is diffetent from other premises that requires pairing. Whether you play as a master or servant, you come in a fate rp expecting it wouldn’t be an easy partnership. you’re already coming up with plans on how to get around. You kind of just see where it goes, and you look around often because the drive to play it smart means you gotta know you have to be proactive in looking for an opportunity. It massively helps that players who are familiar with fate join with this mindset. Fate isnt all about partnership anyway. Some of the best relationships are with other masters/servants. Alliances. There are even master/servant relationdhips that are purely transanctional. Lots of differeny dynamics that people would be interested in, and everyone is looking to find something. This is why i dont think comparing it to soulmate rp would work. There isnt The One. It’s just That Other Guy We’ll See Hell With I Guess.

As for any precatiln made by the site, i think they had a 1:2 master/servant ratio req per member. So no one can complain that there jsny enough m or s around. And again, if you’re in a fate rp, you learn to shoot your shot. That can be terrifying to some folks - reaching out to strangers and offering the deal, potentially being rejected or judged. It can happen and you just deal with it. But most of the time, you get people hoping in and sharing in your enthusiasm and that’s a small miracle i love seeing in fate rps. It’s no diffetent from regular plotting. Some plots dont get replies and some really take off! The beauty of fate rp is thst it’s fast-paced. You can rp about conspiracies, murders, philosophical talk. Or have a beach episode. Or explain omegaverse to your servant. Fate rp has such a wide prospect that the partnership deal is honestly just a small hurdle that fixes itself along the way.

tl;dr it’s no big deal but fate fans are cringe and thats the biggest reason why fate rps die, not bc people find it hard to pair up or rp without a partner
last edit on Aug 19, 2024 4:59:27 GMT by ditto become human

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
did you guys know if your beautiful cherry tree’s leaves grew far enough it can combust on contact on the magma block you’ve been using as a decorate wall and sey your oasis base on fire

Edit: okay maybe the mod i downloaded made it tol realistic dont tell me k cant put down magma blocks beside a bunch of wooden drawers without them being a fire hazard!!!

Edit 2: oh it’s the lava trash can i put dow
last edit on Aug 19, 2024 6:56:22 GMT by ditto become human

the waking storm
aliasLuxu, Galeforce, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
345written posts
tenebraeearned bits
offlinecurrently
tenebrae
tenebrae Avatar
i bit the tongue behind my teeth (it was never good enough for me)
illidan main Avatar
tbh knowing how much of an aesthetics arms race forum creation has become, i'm not really surprised discord RP is becoming more favored. i'm considering making the switch myself.

it's also not surprising, given how much work a skin for a RP these days involves, that no one wants to do it for free.

see, i'd switch to chat rp if my brain wasn't hardwired to forum rp... too many years of forums to feel comfortable with anything else, unfortunately.
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
i get the feeling of being lonely in a sense that you’re surrounded by people yet no one is able to understand you. but i an struggling to understand what people mean when they feel lonely eating alone. it doesn’t make a difference for me. And i do like thinking and enjoying my meal… and that doesnt include being around anyone. this got me really wondering bc even my introvert sister says she feels lonely eating alone and just wants someone to exist while she eats. On a physiological level, i understand how this has come to be but i really cannot get a lick of how that type of loneliness feel…

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW